Cheap Lube recommendations

What's supposed to happen on the wedding night? Will it hurt? What if I'm not a virgin? ...
Allons-y
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1914

Cheap Lube recommendations

Postby Allons-y » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey all, my wedding night is in 35 days (HALLELUJAH!) and I am looking at lubes. Any suggestions for cheap lubes that will work well with condoms? Money is pretty tight right now.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Bible
There are three things which are too wonderful for me, four which I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship in the middle of the sea, and the way of a man with a maid. Proverbs 30:18-19

DeepSouth
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 16th, 1984

Re: Cheap Lube recommendations

Postby DeepSouth » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Congratulations!

We buy most of out lubes from cheaplubes.com, have for several years. Good prices, fast shipping. Probe is a nice, light, water based lube, mostly tasteless. Check for condom compatibility, though. Not an issue for us.

Edited to add: website says probe is latex safe. We use the thicker orange label stuff, but, then again, we're old. :D

ps - don't bring the sonic screwdriver into the marriage bed. (at least not the first night) :shock:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain.

Allons-y
Twin size

Postby Allons-y » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Ok, we'll save that for the second night in our bunk beds--a bed with a ladder, how can you top that? ;)

Bible
There are three things which are too wonderful for me, four which I do not understand: the way of an eagle in the sky, the way of a serpent on a rock, the way of a ship in the middle of the sea, and the way of a man with a maid. Proverbs 30:18-19

gracehusband
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1965

Postby gracehusband » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 am

Do yourself a favor and try coconut oil. I know that may sound crazy, but if you'll look in the Married Sexuality section>Body Parts and Care you'll find a long thread on coconut oil about half way down on the first page.

My wife and I are at the age where lubrication has become a necessity and have tried several, some cheap and others expensive. But nothing compares to CO. We like the refined CO which we found in the cooking section at Wal-Mart for about $6 I think. Refined because it’s colorless, odorless and tasteless, but that's a matter of preference. Some couples like the fragrance of unrefined.

Not only is it inexpensive and readily available, but it doesn't dry out like so many others (last a long time) and (this is important for us...and most others) it isn't too slick. Feels more natural for my wife and me. It also has lots of other uses outside the bedroom! Read the thread and you see what I mean.

So that you and your new bride won't be surprised I should mention it has the consistency of chunky Crisco. But it melts quickly once applied or you can do as we do and put some in the microwave ahead of time. Not too hot, now. :shock:

Congratulations! Hope all the last minute plans go well. Have a wonderful day….and lots of years ahead.

P.S. Your lubrication question got my wife and I reminiscing about our honeymoon. Thanks! Its good you're thinking ahead as my wife reminded me that on about our 3rd day she demanded a "break". Some lube and/or more restraint on our part would have been a good thing.

Learning1
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 15th, 2014

Postby Learning1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:48 am

Hi Allons_y,

Allons-y wrote:Any suggestions for cheap lubes that will work well with condoms?

Oil-based lubricants such as coconut oil degrade latex condoms.

That being said, we love coconut oil. :mrgreen:
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” C.S. Lewis

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 am

Learning1 wrote:Hi Allons_y,

Allons-y wrote:Any suggestions for cheap lubes that will work well with condoms?

Oil-based lubricants such as coconut oil degrade latex condoms.

That being said, we love coconut oil. :mrgreen:

You would think that, but on another thread, (can't remember which at the moment) I guess some research was done and it's not true.

my_beloveds
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 14th, 2007

Postby my_beloveds » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm

We use and I HIGHLY recommend coconut oil as well. Price is right as well. $6.00 for a quart. My wife and I have been working on our first quart for about 4 years and are only about 1/3 of the way though it. We use non-latex condoms and have never had a problem.
Married to my best friend since 7/14/07!!!

DeepSouth
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 16th, 1984

Postby DeepSouth » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm

We use CO also, but sometimes we need something a little thicker (DudeLube) or more slippery (Probe).

Sometimes you just need a different tool for the job at hand. :wink:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain.

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Postby txtwindad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:04 pm

He said he is using condoms. Coconut oil WILL DESTROY a condom in minutes. I love it, but it is not applicable for this guys question.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

facetoface
California King

Postby facetoface » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Based on the research this blogger did, condoms and coconut oil are compatible. DH and I have used this combo for some time now and have never had any problem with breakage.

http://www.averagemarrieddad.com/?tag=coconut-oil-condoms

To the OP, why not try the experiment done by this blogger and let us know if you have the same results.

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:50 pm

facetoface wrote:Based on the research this blogger did, condoms and coconut oil are compatible. DH and I have used this combo for some time now and have never had any problem with breakage.

http://www.averagemarrieddad.com/?tag=coconut-oil-condoms

To the OP, why not try the experiment done by this blogger and let us know if you have the same results.

Yep, pretty sure that was the article that was posted in another thread.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:05 pm

[Moderator note: Just a friendly heads up - the blogger is married but no mention of whether he's Christian, and there is some graphic language on the site and in the article. There are also links to other questionable sex blogs which also have graphic language and inappropriate (by TMB standards anyway) pictures. If you're sensitive to that sort of thing, I wouldn't recommend going to this particular blog or following the other links.]
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

gracehusband
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1965

Postby gracehusband » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 pm

I didn't notice the OP's reference to using condoms. My bad, mia culpa, sorry. I'll try to do better.

A quick google search of "coconut oil condoms" does result in lots of hits and info. Using CO with condoms might make a good thread in order to clear this controversy up. But not here. I say this because CO is very often recommended on this forum.

Possibly this topic has already been researched here and I missed it. If so, my bad, mia culpa, sorry.

After the OP does his research (assuming he has time these days) and still has this concern he should use some other lube until this issue is resolved.

Allons-y
Twin size

Postby Allons-y » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Thanks all for your replies! We'll try several different kinds and definitely use that site suggested :)

As we are not using hormonal birth control (for health reasons--she tried it once before for regulatory purposes and it was not kind to her) we definitely need to be sure about the CO before we use it. We'll be using this spermacidal foam she found so we'll have two forms of BC, but better safe than sorry. However, we'll do our homework on CO since it sounds like a good option. :)

EDIT: Silly autocorrect ;)

Bible

txtwindad
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 13th, 1983

Postby txtwindad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:02 pm

My personal experience is that coconut oil does destroy condoms and quickly. It may be that not all brands do, but when I combined them the condom failed very dramatically.
 "Baby, Baby go and fetch some water,
Pour it on me so's I don't melt.
Can't you see you've got me burnin' hotter
Than a black vinyl car seat in ..." Two Tons of Steel

my_beloveds
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 14th, 2007

Postby my_beloveds » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:06 pm

Non latex condoms are immune to oil, so they can safely be used with CO. They do also claim to be thinner and conduct heat better. I cannot say from personal experience. DW's latex alergy means I don't have anything to compare them against.
Married to my best friend since 7/14/07!!!

Allons-y
Twin size

Postby Allons-y » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:31 am

Thanks all! I ended up going with the Probe stuff and ordered some Blowpaste too (minty OS lube that's good for your teeth, apparently. It was on sale.) I'm very eager to give my bride-to-be OS :D

We'll definitely try coconut oil when DF and I try to conceive, but for now, we will stick with stuff we know is condom safe.

Bible

TheTigress
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 1st, 2014

Postby TheTigress » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:31 pm

Allons-y wrote:Ok, we'll save that for the second night in our bunk beds--a bed with a ladder, how can you top that? ;)

Bahaha I lost it when I read this and the other Dr. Who reference!! :D my FH and I are also whovians!!

Where did you order the blow paste from??
Together or not at all- Amy Pond

Allons-y
Twin size

Postby Allons-y » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:45 pm

Cheaplubes.com as suggested above they had good prices & fast and discreet shipping :)

My DF is not into Dr who yet but I'll try and convert her. *robotic voice* SHE WILL BE UPGRADED. LOL

EDIT: Just had to throw in another Dr who joke ;)

Bible

TheTigress
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 1st, 2014

Postby TheTigress » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Allons-y wrote:Cheaplubes.com as suggested above they had good prices & fast and discreet shipping :)

My DF is not into Dr who yet but I'll try and convert her. *robotic voice* SHE WILL BE UPGRADED. LOL

EDIT: Just had to throw in another Dr who joke ;)

I'll definitely check out the website!!!

Bahahaha good luck with the upgrade!! Idk why anyone wouldn't love Dr. Who!

I found a garter set that is doctor who themed ::luv ::luv on etsy!! It has a little TARDIS pin on it. Still trying to decide if it is worth the 60 dollar price tag :shock:
Together or not at all- Amy Pond

Return to “What Do I Need to Know About Sex? (Engaged)”