Everybody watch your language!!

Newsletters, happenings, and other stuff you might want to know about.
Dale
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:41 am

Greetings, TMBers!

Recently, there have been several "attempts" by members to get around the word filter by inserting symbols into words that would normally be banned, or taking some other creative ways to write a word in a post that is obscene, sexually crude (like "get off" or "screw"), flippant, or even blasphemous. This has created problems for our moderators, who are having to spend a lot more time perusing an otherwise normal-looking post to see if the poster has tried to circumvent the word filters. Our moderators are all volunteers with lives, jobs, and families of their own. It is unfair to expect them to have to censor words that are not normally allowed because someone is trying to skirt the rules. We expect our membership to be responsible adults who should be able to self-govern their "keyboard tongues."

So, this is a friendly reminder to please watch your language! If you use a word in a post and it shows up after you hit Submit looking something like [edit] or if it has been changed into a different word, then please just accept that the word filter caught it, and move on. DO NOT attempt to circumvent our filters by adding symbols like $ or -- or * to the word. Violations of this will be edited, and if it continues, you will risk having your account terminated without notice.

Occasionally, a moderator will change or delete words in your post. When they do, they will insert this: [mod edit] or [mod word edit]. If you wish to contact the moderators to determine what you said wrong, that is fine, but please do not argue your case with them. If you really want to use the word that badly, then you can appeal to the Oversight Group (even if your post was edited by one of them) to get it changed.

One last thing: posters are being more free with the term "hell", as in "I had a hell of a time." This use of hell will not be allowed. If you are speaking of the Hell as a place, that is not a problem. But Hell is a noun, not an adjective! Please do not use it as such. Hell is a very real place where those who do not know our Lord as Savior will spend eternity. It should not be used flippantly.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or one of the Oversight Group.

Thank you.

Dale
Board Czar

Dale

Re: Everybody watch your language!!

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:21 pm

One thing I want to add to this:

You may object and say, "well, in my circle of friends/family/acquaintances, using that kind of language is perfectly proper, and we're all good Christians, so why can't I use it here?"

To which I (and the OG and mods) would answer: But you are NOT in your own circle now. When you come onto the boards, you automatically become a part of a much larger community, one that literally spans the globe. What you may find perfectly acceptable among your friends and even church may be completely and totally offensive to someone half a world away, who is also a good Christian brother or sister.

Here at TMB, we strive to maintain an atmosphere of well-rounded freedom with boundaries. The topics we discuss are highly personal, emotionally charged, and fraught with misunderstanding should one wrong step be taken. We are a diverse community of different cultures, backgrounds, ethnicities, and denominations/churches. The one thing we all should have in common is Christ. And it is to that standard that we strive to adhere these forums. We will not be legalistic, but we will maintain a somewhat common thread of decency and civility in our interactions with each other, and when someone (knowingly or unknowingly) steps outside of that thread, they will be encouraged/reminded/warned (pick your appropriate verb!) to return to the standards of the community. Those standards may at times shift in a minor way, and our freedom in Christ will allow for that. But at no time will outright obscenities or ultra-crude sexual slang or flippant blasphemies be tolerated.

Thanks!

Dale
Board Czar

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:29 pm

I know that I've used symbols to bypass the censor, and I apologize for that.

When our posts are edited for language, are we always notified? I would like to be if I do this again, because I may not always be aware that I've done it and would benefit from a reminder that I'm slipping.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Mrs. Tomorrow
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 2011

Postby Mrs. Tomorrow » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Is it appropriate to use all stars such as **** to convey the general tone of something that was said to give context to a conversation? I have also seen people use emoticons as substitutes also. Where are you drawing the line here?

Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:49 pm

seeking perspective wrote:I know that I've used symbols to bypass the censor, and I apologize for that.

When our posts are edited for language, are we always notified? I would like to be if I do this again, because I may not always be aware that I've done it and would benefit from a reminder that I'm slipping.

If it's an egregious violation, you would be. Minor violations, you may not be. Although we can put you on the naughty list to always be notified! :wink: :lol:

Dale

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Dale wrote:
Although we can put you on the naughty list to always be notified! :wink: :lol:

No, thank you. I will try to behave and am happy to remain ignorant of minor language boo-boo's. :)
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Dale

Postby Dale » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Mrs. Tomorrow wrote:Is it appropriate to use all stars such as **** to convey the general tone of something that was said to give context to a conversation? I have also seen people use emoticons as substitutes also. Where are you drawing the line here?

I know this is going to sound like I'm dodging the question, but the line is somewhat subjective, and it may even be based on what we know of a poster's motivations. For instance, if you have a history of flying off the handle at people and you use ::xx ::xx ::xx ::xx to communicate the fact that you are enraged, that's going to get a yellow card. On the other hand, someone may post about a really bad day they had (and it's obvious they are not just trying to skirt the rules, but communicate an honest hurting emotion) and they use one ::xx to describe the day, that's not going to be a problem.

So yes, it's subjective. Emotions always are. The thing to remember, again, is that your words are being read by conceivably thousands of people from all walks of life. Usually, if you post with that kind of thought in mind (and reading and rereading the post before you hit Submit is always a GREAT idea too!!), then you will likely be just fine.

One other thing to remember: moderating a post is never a personal thing. The mods and OG are not out to get you just because we change a word or take out a sentence or even pull the whole thing off the boards. There are always good and valid reasons behind what we do. It may feel like a personal attack, but take it from this old mod: it isn't! :D

Dale

sweethomeboy
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 12th, 1981

Postby sweethomeboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I volunteer in an organization that has slightly different rules for volunteers (in the course of the work for that organization) than some of us might have in some of our other professional organizations. Some people get really mad, because their professional organization requires this, or allows that. I try to remind my fellow volunteers that when we are working with this organization we have to abide by their rules, and if we would choose not to then we should choose not to volunteer.

When we choose to come to TMB, we know that we are participating in a Christian community. It's entirely possible to express anger or frustration without the use of profanity. I can be profane, I know how and sometimes in anger I speak "colorfully." I'm glad that TMB requires me to think of better ways to express myself. It helps me, and it helps me more than just on these boards.

I want to offer my appreciation to the moderators. Hold us to that higher standard, make us think of better ways to express ourselves.

Mrs. Tomorrow
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 14th, 2011

Postby Mrs. Tomorrow » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:45 pm

I don't think you're skirting the issue or anything like that, Dale. Sounds reasonable to me. :)

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks Dale for clarifying this ongoing issue.

Kilarin
Under the stars

Postby Kilarin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Actually, I might need some more clarification. Avoiding obscene and blasphemous language seems obvious and pretty simple to me. And I would have thought avoiding things that were "sexually crude" wouldn't be complicated.

BUT, while I would have known better than to use the second term in your "sexually crude" list, I wouldn't have guessed that the first term in that list was banned. I don't think it's one I've used here, but I might have wandered in to it out of ignorance at some time.

Do we have a list of banned terms somewhere? I mean, you wouldn't have to list obviously obscene or blasphemous language, but since the "sexually crude" list is very objective, it seems to me like it might be beneficial to actually have an official list we could check to see if something we thought was ok is not.

If you folks on the oversight group think it would be better NOT to have a list, thats fine. I'll just remember to be very careful with anything even approaching slang.

padsnd
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2004

Postby padsnd » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 am

Kilarin wrote:Do we have a list of banned terms somewhere? I mean, you wouldn't have to list obviously obscene or blasphemous language, but since the "sexually crude" list is very objective, it seems to me like it might be beneficial to actually have an official list we could check to see if something we thought was ok is not.

If you folks on the oversight group think it would be better NOT to have a list, thats fine. I'll just remember to be very careful with anything even approaching slang.

Let me see if I understand this. You're asking for them to post a list all the words that are banned from use in posts? Are you trying to get on that list that Dale mentioned? :). You do know it has other names--but they fail the mod filters?
padsnd

Kilarin
Under the stars

Postby Kilarin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 am

padsnd wrote:Are you trying to get on that list that Dale mentioned?

I'm sure I'm on SEVERAL lists... :)

mamame

Postby mamame » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 am

Kilarin wrote:
padsnd wrote:Are you trying to get on that list that Dale mentioned?

I'm sure I'm on SEVERAL lists... :)

You weren't supposed to know about that :grin::lol::-o:wink:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SimpleC
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 8th, 1995

Postby SimpleC » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am

This is a honest question....

Is it deemed inappropriate to use slang like what the "heck" or "Freakn".... these are not cuss words but implied meanings are clear..... I know I have used those without thinking about it... so if not appropriate I will not be using them anymore..

As I do not want to be on the list with Kilarian

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:07 am

SimpleC wrote:This is a honest question....

Is it deemed inappropriate to use slang like what the "heck" or "Freakn".... these are not cuss words but implied meanings are clear..... I know I have used those without thinking about it... so if not appropriate I will not be using them anymore..

As I do not want to be on the list with Kilarian

They are curse words in our house. No slang curse and definitely no curse words. But our house rules aren't TMB rules.

Return to “Board Announcements”