Sexy songs from Over the Rhine, a Christian couple

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
LadyP
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 17th, 2007

Postby LadyP » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:25 am

bigfish beat me to it, but they were awesome in concert! I got their album Drunkard's Prayer, so I'll listen to it today.

(and I think I figured out which one you were, bigfish!)
A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode. — Astronautics, issue 38, October 1937.
Truth By Bits, my daily-ish devotional blog

thebigfish
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 17th, 1978

Postby thebigfish » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:48 am

they were awesome in concert!
Hey Lady P., I'm a drummer! I was right up front during that drum solo! Wasn't that drummer THE BOMB?!
I got their album Drunkard's Prayer
I just ordered that one on yourmusic.com

[quote](and I think I figured out which one you were, bigfish!)[quote]

I'm 5' 10" about 160lbs. 55 years old. No gray hair, bald spot in the back. I saw one young lady checkin' out my name tag. Maybe that was you? :lol:
thebigfish

LadyP
King bed

Postby LadyP » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:32 pm

yup, that was me! At least, i checked your nametag and I think you saw me...longish hair between blond and light brown, slim, wearing a black top and really cool pants that are mostly brown

I considered introducing myself, and decided it would be way too weird (especially if I was wrong)....some other time, maybe
Last edited by LadyP on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode. — Astronautics, issue 38, October 1937.

thebigfish
King bed

Postby thebigfish » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:46 pm

I considered introducing myself, and decided it would be way too weird.
I understand. I felt a bit weird too. I've been pretty open and put enough details about myself on these boards that I don't think I could feel totally ease with......Uh........I guess females....... especially. We probably know way too much about each other. However, I was pleased to meet you, Lady P!
May the L-rd make his face too shine upon you..... :wave
thebigfish

Proverbs2121

Postby Proverbs2121 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 pm

My husband just got back from Cornerstone and brought me one of their c.d.s. It is great!

thebigfish
King bed

Postby thebigfish » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:36 pm

I was just playing "Drunkard's Prayer" in my hair salon this morning and one of my customers said, 'Who's that playing!, I really like that !" and had me write down the CD so he could by it.
Lady P wrote:
I think you saw me...longish hair between blond and light brown, slim, wearing a black top and really cool pants that are mostly brown
Yep. That was you, alright! 8)
thebigfish

Proverbs2121

Postby Proverbs2121 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:52 am

I keep playing "I Don't Wanna Waste Your Time" from their c.d. "The Trumpet Child" over and over again. My kids are sick of it :lol:

Snuggle Muffin
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 2002

Re: Sexy songs from Over the Rhine, a Christian couple

Postby Snuggle Muffin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Wanted to bump this, because their latest album has another sultry, classy and sizzling track. Plus the links in the OP don't work anymore. So here's an expanded, updated list:

From the album Trumpet Child:
"Let's Spend the Day in Bed" (video has nothing to do with the song)
"Entertaining Thoughts"
"Trouble"
"Desperate for Love"
The wives might also appreciate "I'm On a Roll"

From the Ohio album: "Lifelong Fling" (also live at Cornerstone)

Title track from Drunkard's Prayer. Not so directly sexual, but still awesome:
Like an ocean
Without waves
You're the movement
That I crave

And in that motion
I long to drown
And be lost not to be found
See it Live at Cornerstone 2006.

NEW: "The King Knows How" from the new album called The Long Surrender. You can listen to the whole new album for free online. Click the above link and scroll down 'til you see a box that says "Over the Rhine record player." That loads up their whole latest album and you can select individual tracks. Also performed live on video here.

They also have some sexy Christmas songs from the Snow Angels album:
North Pole Man (this one is, um, not so subtle :lol: ) Also here and here.
Snowed In With You

Links go to wherever I could find to hear the song online, meaning youtube. Lyrics for all the songs above can be found here.

If anyone has other sexy music to share, don't hold out on us!
"Rejoice in the wife of your youth... may you be forever captivated by her love!"
Prov 5.15-20
"I wanna be rich in memories not money / Our love is our inheritance, honey"
Jon Foreman, "Inheritance"

The Knight's Lady
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 24th, 2005

Postby The Knight's Lady » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:55 pm

Just saw this thread and did a search in Spotify, and it looks like all their music is available there also. There were a couple songs marked Explicit, which I thought was interesting for a Christian band (but I haven't listened to those track yet, so I don't know anything other than that the warning was there)

ETA: Not the same style as OTR, but if there are any country fans out there, the song "Fish" by Craig Campbell is very sexy :wink: You can hear it on Spotify or see the music video http://youtu.be/M_Am8bSYIms Don't worry, the music video does show them actually fishing (not "fishing"), but as a caution, the girl in the video is wearing "Daisy Duke" shorts.
Married to The Lady's Knight and mommy to our Little Knight and Little Lady

LadyP
King bed

Postby LadyP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Awesome! I'll have to have a listen.

I'm still not convinced of how Christian they are. They both grew up in Christian homes, but in concert they were saying they play Ella Fitzgerald on Sunday mornings, which they think "hits the right note of joy" (or something along those lines) and it generally sounded like they respected their christian heritage but didn't believe it. It's none of our business, of course, and they have wonderful clean songs, but I don't quite feel comfortable telling people they're definitely Christian.

Okay, enough nit picking. Off to their site.

Snuggle Muffin
King bed

Postby Snuggle Muffin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:54 pm

I had to google around quite a bit (eventually searching for "Over the Rhine lyrics f---") to finally find out. And that made me remember. They have one song that infamously dropped the f-bomb -- "Changes Come" from the Ohio album. I'd forgotten, but when I looked back and read the lyrics, I got chills, because the song came back to my memory and I remember it being really powerful, haunting and unflinching. Here's the controversial bit. People of course will debate its appropriateness:
I wanna have our baby
Somedays I think that maybe
This ol' world's too f---ed up
For any firstborn son

There is all this untouched beauty
The light the dark both running through me
Is there still redemption for anyone

Jesus come
Turn the world around
Lay my burden down
Turn this world around
Bring the whole thing down
Bring it down
You can see them perform it live at Cornerstone here (controversial bit at the 2:00 mark).

(Just fyi, I don't personally use that kind of language, aside from a couple particular words that only get used in a particular way in the bedroom. So don't hear me saying everyone ought to not care about cussing.)

There's also a poem by the husband of the OTR duo called "Hey You" that makes liberal use of the F-bomb, in the bedroom sense of the word, and is actually about using the word, so I share this link with the warning that if you can't read the F-word without negative meanings attached, then you probably don't want to read click that link. As someone who never uses swear words, I actually really liked the poem. Here's an excerpt:
F--- me, she says,
And it's not an exclamation
It's a plea

F--- me feels different
In the marriage bed
It's not like it's forbidden

F--- can be such a hateful word
But she's in love
Trying on the name wife for size
[...]
And this is our sweet redeemer
Looking down on a tangle of man and wife
A happily shipwrecked bed

It's not like he hasn't seen it before
But he's even blessed a dirty word
Thank you Lord
They aren't culturally very Evangelical in the way they think and talk -- you don't get any Christianese from them... maybe because they're so artsy-fartsy. But I don' think there's any doubt among people familiar with their music that they are most definitely serious Christians of some kind or another.

Someone probably ought to move this to a "bad words in the bedroom" thread.
"Rejoice in the wife of your youth... may you be forever captivated by her love!"
Prov 5.15-20

TilWeHaveFaces
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 8th, 1999
Location: St. Anne's-on-the-hill, standing outside the garden gate.

Postby TilWeHaveFaces » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 am

Linford and Karin are acquaintances of mine. I've kept up with them for about 20 years now, and a few records ago (circa "Trumpet Child") got the wonderful opportunity to write their bio for PR purposes.

And you're right, they're pretty darn uncomfortable with cultural Christianity (as am I). And Karin, bless her salty heart, has something of a potty mouth. But they are 100% believers, through and through.

Really glad to find them being talked about here. I consider the work that their songs do, in redeeming sexuality (specifically Godly married sexuality) from the forces that seek to cheapen, debase and destroy it in the wider culture, to be one of the MOST redemptive aspects of their art.

The opposite of sex being culturally misused ISN'T asexuality and frigidity and "good girls/boys don't." (Amen?) It's randiness and steaminess being celebrated in the marriage bed, where it belongs and where God intends it to be. God bless them both for pulling that off outside the church ghetto.

Shulammite woman
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 12th, 1980

Postby Shulammite woman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Saw this thread last Friday....listened to some of the songs via the links provided....am anxiously awaiting the two CDs I subsequently ordered off Amazon....Trumpet Child and Long Surrender. Thanks so much, Snuggle Muffin, for bumping this thread!
SW, who is challenged by this statement: Your husband's sex life with you is the only legitimate one he has; what are YOU doing to make it the best it can be?

TilWeHaveFaces
Under the stars

Postby TilWeHaveFaces » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:42 pm

I just dug up the old bio I did for OTR, some of my favorite work I've ever done for a paycheck. My friend Bud Scoppa did the current one.

Over the Rhine

After more than 15 years making music, it’s obvious Ohio duo Over The Rhine is in it for the long haul, and for keeps. Their commitment is underscored by their latest, The Trumpet Child, and its opening track, “I Don’t Wanna Waste Your Time,” a manifesto of sorts for the artists recently named to Paste magazine’s list of 100 Best Living Songwriters. Look no further than the lyrics to this track for what animates Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist, the married couple at the heart of Over The Rhine: “I hope this night puts down deep roots / I hope we plant a seed / ‘Cause I don’t wanna waste your time / With music you don’t need.”

“Believe me, we don’t want to waste anybody’s time,” elaborates Detweiler. “When we stop believing we’re doing our best work, we’re done. Every song has to be good, every record has to be great, every concert has to have some spiritual significance—something that we can’t quantify, something bigger than all of us.”

Over The Rhine may not be a household name, but to call the act’s followers “fanatical” would understate the point, and they’re not shy about converting the curious. Why? For starters, there’s Bergquist’s torchy, devil-may-care voice, brimming with Midwestern soul, unafraid to lay bare every emotional resonance. And again, there’s the life-and-death commitment dripping from her every word. “I’m either into it or I’m not, because there’s no faking it with me,” Bergquist notes. “Life’s way too short for that.”

Detweiler and Bergquist’s evocative, earthy songwriting and impassioned delivery is at its finest in The Trumpet Child. The new record is a collaboration with ultra-talented Nashville producer/arranger Brad Jones (Matthew Sweet, Josh Rouse, Ron Sexsmith, Richard Julian, et. al) and celebrates American music in the most richly imaginative ways.

“We love a good song, period,” Detweiler notes. “ It could be an old country tune Patsy Cline is singing on an old jukebox in one of our favorite Kentucky dives; it could be Lightnin’ Hopkins grumbling over a timeless blues riff; it could be Sachmo, the dignity of his voice and the joy in his horn; it could be Tom Waits kicking up the dust on the hardwood floor of a grange hall at some imaginary revival meeting—it can be all over the map musically—but what ultimately keeps us interested is the mystery of the song itself.”

Such a wide-ranging approach met its best match in Jones, who collaborated with the band on arrangements and scoured Nashville’s broken-bottle-strewn back alleyways for an arresting array of horn, woodwind and string players to festoon the trademark simplicity of Over the Rhine. The result is a juicy, informally epic pop album unlike any other you’re likely to hear this year.

“I first heard Brad’s bass playing on records Mitchell Froom was producing—Ron Sexsmith’s Whereabouts is a great example—and I kept thinking to myself, ‘This bass player is better than Paul McCartney,’” Detweiler recalls. “I think we knew we were on to something special when we saw Brad sketch out the instrumental arrangement on ‘Nothing is Innocent’—he heard that alto flute and those strings in his head before anyone played a note. Brad’s a bit of a mad scientist, and a very special musician.”

The Trumpet Child unfolds like an unforgettable evening of blissful underground cabaret—an all-night performance at a private party, jovial friends passing around instruments together into the wee hours. And it’s unquestionably Bergquist’s finest hour vocally. “On earlier records, I was unintentionally playing it a bit safe at times,” she says. “I had all this stuff bottled up and I was afraid that if I let it out, even musically, I’d be laughed at or, God forbid, misunderstood. Now, I’m more lost in it. More drunk on it. Far more out of control about it. Messy, juicy and tangled up.”

Over The Rhine began in 1990 as a more conventional four-piece rock band, albeit one far more in tune with the nuances of songcraft than its three-chord, grunge-era contemporaries. “I was continuing my education, considering my masters degree, when this tall, lanky fella approached me about singing lead for some rock band in Cincinnati,” recalls the classically trained Bergquist. “I didn’t just jump at the chance. I lunged.”

Adopting the name of the gritty neighborhood Over-The-Rhine, where the foursome found fertile soil, the group quickly became a local sensation and graduated from sold-out weekend club dates to opening tours for Adrian Belew and Bob Dylan. Two lavishly packaged independent records later, the young group signed to IRS, which re-released second record Patience with its original artwork, a first for the label (and a tribute to the vision and attention to detail which has always marked the band).

Seeking artistic autonomy, the band returned to independence for Good Dog Bad Dog, a collection of glorified demos and home recordings that nonetheless eventually outsold the band’s three previous IRS releases combined and knit the band tightly to its fanbase, which, by then, had come to hang on the group’s every move. (A collection of recordings—live, and otherwise—offered exclusively to fans bears witness to the band’s ardent, enduring cult.)

The next few years found the band pared to its core duo of Detweiler and Bergquist, as the two locked arms with likeminded fellow travelers Cowboy Junkies, touring as “honorary members” of the group, and released their Virgin/Backporch debut, Films For Radio. Next came Over The Rhine’s magnum opus, the double album Ohio, “a deeply moving, maddening, and redemptive work of art, and necessary, ambitious pop,” as All Music Guide’s Thom Jurek put it in a 4.5-star review. The intimate, living-room record Drunkard’s Prayer followed—recorded, literally, in the duo’s Cincinnati living room—as the sound continued to expand beyond rock to encompass elements of country and jazz, punctuated by Drunkard’s Prayer’s final track, a moody, late-night reading of “My Funny Valentine.”

So it’s fitting that the first sound the listener hears on The Trumpet Child is that of a brass-and-woodwind ensemble, arranged by Detweiler like some lost Southern hymn. “We had been stunned by the whole Katrina debacle in New Orleans, and that was a big part of why we wanted horns and clarinets to be blowing through this music,” notes Detweiler.

And what of the title track? Who is this “trumpet child,” anyway? Detweiler explains: “Both Karin and I grew up around a lot of old church music. I think some of the old hymns taught us that words could be beautiful, with their titles like ‘Softly and Tenderly,’ ‘When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder,’ and ‘Let the Lower Lights Be Burning.’ A theme that recurred in a lot of the old hymns was the idea that the world would be reborn with the sound of a trumpet. We’ve all heard many of the great American trumpet (and horn) players—Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stan Getz—and we’ve been wondering about the sound of that trumpet. Is it real? Is it a metaphor? What, exactly, is on God’s iPod?”

Appropriately, the song is embellished by a lush, aching, muted trumpet, played by Neil Rosengarden, who was an ace in the hole for Jones and the band, despite first impressions. “Neil came in walking with a cane, asked for a glass of water, dumped a cocktail of pain meds into his palm—down the hatch!—went and took a nice long smoke, then listened to the song,” Detweiler recalls. “But he played some great tidbits—heartbroken, simple, heart-still-beating-in-spite-of-it-all riffs.”

In terms of The Trumpet Child’s themes, Detweiler says, “On this project, I think we returned to the quintessential stuff that’s always interested us in our writing: spirituality, sexuality, living vividly, challenging the status quo and subtly taking power away from those who have too much and transferring it to people who have too little.” [Added some emphasis there because of where I'm posting this now. :mrgreen: ]

Encouragement can come from many sources, and for Over The Rhine, a vote of confidence from Dave Foreman, their sound engineer, has put fire in their bellies. Foreman, a childhood friend of John Hiatt’s from Indiana who’s served many great songwriters on the road, came out of retirement—and the baggage of a heroin addiction that landed him in Cincinnati to clean up and start a family—to tour with the band.

“We ran into Dave at a concert in Kentucky a few years ago and got to talking about the possibility of him coming out of retirement to tour with Over the Rhine as our sound engineer,” Detweiler says. “Part of our conversation consisted of Dave saying, ‘The thing is, I don’t want to leave my wife Sharon behind; I don’t want to leave my daughter Emmy behind and go back out on the great American highway—unless we’re going to go deep.’”

Go deep? That’s the only place Over The Rhine has ever gone.

Snuggle Muffin
King bed

Postby Snuggle Muffin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Ha, I remember reading that, wherever it was that it was originally posted (maybe on their site?).

I forgot to add "Drunkard's Prayer" to the list. Not so directly sexual, but still awesome:
Like an ocean
Without waves
You're the movement
That I crave

And in that motion
I long to drown
And be lost not to be found
See it Live at Cornerstone 2006.

Edited the 2nd post of song links to include this one. There are so many others that could go in, since in the intimate joys and agonies of relationship is a major theme of theirs.
Prov 5.15-20

Snuggle Muffin
King bed

Postby Snuggle Muffin » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:31 am

I updated the list of OTR songs to 10 on the Intimacy-Inspiring Song Lyrics thread, with youtube links to listen.
Prov 5.15-20

TilWeHaveFaces
Under the stars

Re: RE: Re: Sexy songs from Over the Rhine, a Christian couple

Postby TilWeHaveFaces » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 pm

I love that this thread is still here. Thank you.

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Sites”