Book: Wild At Heart

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
Bear
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 26th, 1987

Book: Wild At Heart

Postby Bear » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:49 am

I've seen "Wild At Heart" mentioned occasionally here. It sounds like an interesting title. I'm not hip to at all.

A quick Google led me to this critical review.

http://www.bethanycommunitychurch.org/r ... .asp?id=78

The criticism, if an accurate representation of the authors work, is interesting, and gives me pause of finding much core value in the book.

Knowing nothing either way (about the books author, or the reviewer); I wonder if folks who've read it might comment on the reviewers critique?
The same women who are ready to defend their men through thick and thin are...lucid about...the thickness of his head.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.
-GK Chesterton

jokerman
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 15th, 1987

Re: Book: Wild At Heart

Postby jokerman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:11 am

I've noticed that its hard to find a critique of Wild At Heart that is actually balanced. Eldredge is either slammed on one hand for not being biblical enough (as in the critique posted above), or slammed on the other side for being too simplistic about the nature of men and women.

This critique seemed to be a bit more balanced; the author said he had problems with some of the book's premises but still found things to like: http://jollyblogger.typepad.com/jollybl ... dge_a.html

I personally haven't read him. He seems very much out of the Promise Keeper camp, where men are urged to be more like Ron Swanson or the country will go straight down the tubes. As noted in the jollyblogger article I linked, does this macho emphasis leave room for men like Mr. Rogers? The notion that we should all be chest-bumping frat bros is immature, bordering on disturbing.

convicted
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2008

Postby convicted » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:18 am

I read part of it.(have to run out for the day, may attempt to read the rest in the next couple days)
I agree he has some valid critiques. though I don't necessarily come to the same conclusions.
I also believe he attempts to tell up Eldredges intent. as if Eldredge is making an attempt at some gnostic teaching or maybe taking an anti (corp)church stance.

I've read WaH along with a couple others. At times Eldredge gets a bit too much while most of the time his writing and insight has helped me develope a deeper understanding of God. I appreciate his attempts at transparency concerning his own walk. whether that was for the benefit of selling copy or was him really being vulnerable I'm unable to qualify. His examples did and do resonate with me. which also means that not everything he peels apart is accurate<---something to keep in mind. However there's benefit to handling our perspectives & his perspective seems to be that of many many men, therefore , IMO, worth using as a starting place or catalyst to peeling down whether what we believe what we believe to be really real and then what does that mean to me personally,...as a man wanting to be a man of God. <--Wow that was a bit long winded or much :wink: :mrgreen:

WaH, for me, was a life changer.

*edit*
Jokerman, I've not noted Eldredge promoting that any man should be or behave like frat boys. In fact my reading of him found essentially the opposite. "Grow up into manhood(Christhood)" seems to be what I've heard him say.
If our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.

jokerman
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 15th, 1987

Postby jokerman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 am

convicted wrote:
*edit*
Jokerman, I've not noted Eldredge promoting that any man should be or behave like frat boys. In fact my reading of him found essentially the opposite. "Grow up into manhood(Christhood)" seems to be what I've heard him say.

As I said, I haven't read it, so I'm going off impressions. There is a reliance on "going on adventures" and "rescuing the maiden", correct? He uses those classic metaphors of traditional manhood to then erect an entire philosophy of male behavior and the male mind. It sounded to me like his premises are a bit off. But I could be way off since I haven't read it.

convicted
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 7th, 2008

Postby convicted » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:32 am

^I'm not trying to be argumentative. And I'm not defending Eldredge.
what I hear you saying is that you are making assumptions and assigning intent based on non vetted assumptions......

There's an axiom about assumptions..... I would go with
But I could be way off since I haven't read it.

Beautiful Outlaw makes for a quick read, good introduction to Eldredge and has less of the Horse riding metaphors. :mrgreen:
If our God is for us, then who could ever stop us.
And if our God is with us, then what could stand against.

El Husbandido
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 2003

Postby El Husbandido » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:43 am

I have read it and find the original review from Bethany Community Church to be pretty dead on. If you can exercise discernment, there might be something to glean from the book, but there are better books to read. Personally, I keep my copy of Wild at Heart on my "heresy shelf", next to my Rob Bell books.
"God designed marriage to make you holy, not happy." - Gary Thomas

landschooner
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1991

Postby landschooner » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:42 am

"heresy shelf" - LOL!

......not commenting on the book, but that was funny! :)

LS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dgenerous
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 19th, 2005

Postby Dgenerous » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 pm

DH and I started reading it and found it to be utter nonsense. Jokerman, I didn't finish it but I think he's not biblical enough (the LAST thing we need to be following is our own heart) AND his view of men and women is overly simplistic.

Basically? Not a fan.
I have found the one whom my soul loves.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:17 pm

I didn't agree with it 100 %, but what author or preacher out there do I, other than God himself.?. But there was enough that aligned with what I witness in the boys and men around me that I found it helpful. To me, it's a matter of opinion and it's not worth quarreling about and I will continue to reference to it when I see fit.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Bear
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 26th, 1987

Postby Bear » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:00 am

Thanks for the input everybody, I appreciate it. A little more reading up an it seems to me to have too high a noise-to-signal ratio than I'm interested in sifting thru.
The same women who are ready to defend their men through thick and thin are...lucid about...the thickness of his head.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.
-GK Chesterton

TheHubby
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 4th, 2012

Postby TheHubby » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:18 pm

I enjoyed reading it, but it's been a while. I got out of it a grow up, be a man message.
This too shall pass...
"The difference between an adult and a child is that an adult accepts that the only real choice in life is between productive anxieties and useless ones" David Schnarch Resurrecting Sex

1980BC
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 2001

Postby 1980BC » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 pm

I don't think the noise to signal ratio was bad in WaH. I just chalked up a lot of his weak biblical tie-ins to stretching for the sake of people that think no idea is worth considering unless it's found in 3 places in scripture. And also to his taste for drama. He mentions in the book that he has a well established theater background, and he wrote Epic (a little gift book about how the human tendency is to write stories that reflect how God is really running history. Happiness, then something goes wrong, a hero comes forth and destroys the villain to win back his own.) so that he filters life through a dramatic lens should come as no shock.

The big takeaways I got from the book are that men were created to express certain aspects of the character of God, and women certain others. Fighting that truth only results in misery. Also, I think he's spot on about the heart question of every man being "Do I have what it takes?"

I loved the book and have read it a couple times. I don't get the sense that he advocates any "open theism" or humanism or some whitewashed view of the human heart. The heart he's talking about is something different than what the reviewer is on about. He means heart in more the sense of that image of God that we were all created in. Not the part we hide from the world because it was corrupted by sin. And I think that's pretty clear in the book. Eldredge is just dramatic (kinda at odds with the one dimensional view of him as a redneck frat boy, huh?) and the poetic nature of his writing style can get offensive to people who are used to reading their theology dry as toast.

suffolk sinner DFC
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 21st, 1990

Postby suffolk sinner DFC » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:24 am

1980BC wrote:I don't get the sense that he advocates any "open theism"....

Wouldn't scare me if he did.

Hopeful
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 29th, 1979

Postby Hopeful » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Eldridge's writings have been a game changer for me. I've attended church multiple times each week for decades (I'm 58), taught adult Sunday School, Deacon, Elder in a mega-church, etc. got the Christian credentials if you know what I mean. Read WaH three times because I was supposed to, no big deal. Then read it because i needed to connect my heart to Jesus's. Wow! Different experience. Went on to read other Eldridge books, especially Desire, and read No More Cristian Nice Guy by Paul Coughlin, Men of Corage by Dr. Larry Crabb, as well as Some non-Christian authors which were helpful including Schnarch (Passionate Marriage), Kerner (She Comes First), etc.

It's been quite a journey but I'm a different man, thank God. There is freedom in Christ, there is power in the name of Jesus, and there is more intimacy available daily in Jesus than I imagined! And he is bringing grace into my life and into the life of my wife and family in ways I never thought possible, never even dreamed about. Yes, I'm on an adventure now, why wasn't I before is the only question. And yes, I'm more of a warrior than before, fighting for my own heart and the heart of my dear wife. Eph 5 says to imitate God and he's a pretty fierce warrior.

I'm thankful for a lot of things, the Marriage Bed website for one. But I'm extremely thankful for Eldridge's insight, the ministry of Adventures of the Heart and others like it, and for the courage of those who are willing to challenge the church to be bold on subjects including living victoriously, freedom in Christ, and powerful intimacy in marriage, and, most of all the intimacy that is available with Christ himself. The parallels between intimacy in marriage and intimacy with Christ are a mystery (again according to Eph 5), but he has revealed so much to the church. Why are we so silent about it?

MadMan
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 25th, 1998

Postby MadMan » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:57 am

Eldredge material I have found helpful but without alot of depth. I think Men's Fraternity does a great job of fleshing this out and digging deeper. 33 Series is a good follow up to Mebs Fraternity. I believe as a man we need these teachings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:18 am

I think this book was somewhat important. I think most of the church caught on that modern American culture has wreaked havoc on women and their roles in the family. I think the church was late to the game in understanding how much American culture over the last 150 years or so has marginalized and minimized men. Men have been fading into the background. I have always liked and respected men, and maybe I understood the issues a very tiny bit because my personal interests often put me in the company of men. I kept hearing how the girlfriend or wife kind of ran the show, and I could see men were afraid of women's emotions. Then I saw how the church was embracing the emotionalism of women. Then I saw how men seemed so isolated from their families and each other because of the economic demands of their jobs and the needs of their families.

Today's culture wants men to get together, but it seems to do so under women's rules. Men have to sit in a circle. They have to have a book. They have to talk one at a time. That is totally not how men function.

I notice a big difference in the way some cultures handle the differences between men and women, and I think the cultures where men work in community with each other have something special about the need for work and the need for manliness, and the need for men to have that silent communication that just happens in the absence of women. That stuff just happens because of the way they live. Men act like men, and women act like women. They are both independent and interdependent.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

bigloop
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 20th, 1993

Postby bigloop » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:10 pm

If someone is looking for one book from which to glean the answer to every problem- then there is but one.
I have read W@H. It had some very salient points. I got a lot out of it, but it spoke to some of my personal situation. It was suggested to me by someone who knows me. It may not be for every man. But that can be said of numerous books can't it?
If one knows scripture, then one can read this book and find parallels and applications for life as a man. If you are looking for a biblical expository work on manhood, you'll be disappointed.

bigloop
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 20th, 1993

Postby bigloop » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Leah wrote:I think this book was somewhat important. I think most of the church caught on that modern American culture has wreaked havoc on women and their roles in the family. I think the church was late to the game in understanding how much American culture over the last 150 years or so has marginalized and minimized men. Men have been fading into the background. I have always liked and respected men, and maybe I understood the issues a very tiny bit because my personal interests often put me in the company of men. I kept hearing how the girlfriend or wife kind of ran the show, and I could see men were afraid of women's emotions. Then I saw how the church was embracing the emotionalism of women. Then I saw how men seemed so isolated from their families and each other because of the economic demands of their jobs and the needs of their families.

Today's culture wants men to get together, but it seems to do so under women's rules.

We have a name down south for that phenomenon. Probably not PC to use it here....
You don't see that quite as pervasive here in the Bible Belt. But I know of what you speak.

mrdisneyfan
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 12th, 2014

Postby mrdisneyfan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:31 am

I liked the Sacred Romance. But any of Elderidge's teaching on masculinity comes across as one dimensional for me.

For men who fit his narrow stereotype I have seen the book be helpful, but I wouldn't recommend it.

natedg200202
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 29th, 2003

Postby natedg200202 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:02 am

It's been a long time since I read Wild at Heart, but my impression was that the things the author was describing as masculine was not absolute and not based on scripture. I did not connect with the book. I felt the author was compensating for . . . Something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Sites”