Resources to explain submission?

What marriage resources have been helpful or encouraging to you?
seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Resources to explain submission?

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm not entirely sure this is the right forum, so mods, please move it if it fits better elsewhere.

I have a student who really wants to write her research paper about submission in Christian marriage. Today after class we talked through some different approaches she could take that would give her the academic experience she needs for class while allowing her to write about a subject that she is trying to understand personally as well.

She is trying to get a grasp of the basic points of view regarding complementarian and egalitarian approaches. I pointed her to some databases with sociological research articles, and I sent her two websites with completely opposite views.

I would like to be able to send her an article that does a good job of explaining the basic premises of both approaches clearly, without too much bias .

Does anyone have a recommendation of an article or two that might help an earnest young Christian woman who wants to understand the views on submission?
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Re: Resources to explain submission?

Postby Leah » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:22 am

I wish there were good resources available. I have never seen any. Not a one.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

jokerman
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 15th, 1987

Postby jokerman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:45 am

Seek, as an academic you'll probably cringe that I'm suggesting Wikipedia, but at the very least this entry can point the student to some of the leading writers on both egalitarianism and complementarianism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_egalitarianism

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:48 am

Have you checked out The Peaceful Wife? I know she talks about her journey in it, but I don't know what kind of explanations she has.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:58 am

Here's a book by Peaceful Wife. Her name is April Cassidy, and her focus is first to be submitted to Christ. I like her approach and have viewed her video posts for a while now. Her teaching is not just for women IMHO; surrender of self to Christ is for everyone.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:06 am

jokerman wrote:Seek, as an academic you'll probably cringe that I'm suggesting Wikipedia, but at the very least this entry can point the student to some of the leading writers on both egalitarianism and complementarianism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_egalitarianism

Ha, actually, I LOVE Wikipedia. I learned a great deal about their behind-the-scenes processes a few years ago when I tried to write an entry that was ultimately rejected. It was very impressed. It isn't a good source to cite in papers, but it is the best place to get an overview on a subject. I almost always send students there, and I'm not sure why I didn't think of that for this subject. *facepalm*

I like April a lot and have Peaceful Wife on my list of sites to send the student if she asks for resources to give her a more in-depth understanding of a particular viewpoint. She is overwhelmed at the moment, and I don't want to send her too much on one side or the other until she is comfortable with her grasp of the issues. I sent her links to the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood and to Christians for Biblical Equality, suggesting that she poke around at some of the resources there.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Return to “Marriage Books, Resources, Sites”