Attention-women who are or have been low T

Low or no sex drive?
Unfulfilled
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 5th, 1989

Attention-women who are or have been low T

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:06 pm

There is a section for men with low T, but not one for women. So I decided to post it here in lack of desire since low T may very well show up as low libido whether male or female.

I would like to hear specifically about women who are or have been low T.

What were your symptoms and were you able to get treated for it?

If you got treated was it a struggle with your dr. To convince them of the need to supplement testosterone?

DW has been tested three times in the past year. And EACH time she came out BELOW the bottom of the "normal" range. Basically immeasurable amount.

The FDA has no "official" protocol or "approved" means for treating women with low T Only men. And DW Dr. Is reluctant or resists wanting to do anything about this situation.

We have looked on the web and of the top 10 symptoms of low T specifically for women, she has like 7 or 8 of them!

I am aware that our sexual issues are more than just hormonal and we are in counseling and making progress there as well. But we are talking significant health issues with no sex drive being only one of them. So I am concerned that DW get the best care and move forward in the best way we can.

DW has had no sex drive and she has absolutely no metabolic physiological hormone to back her up even if she decides mentally she wants to have sex. If we use a car analogy, she can want to go on a trip and decide to do so, but if the car has no fuel in the tank, she is not going to get very far!

So I'd really like to hear from some women or husbands who's DW have gone through low T and how they solved it.

Thanks

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Re: Attention-women how are or have been low T

Postby OldMarriedLady » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:13 pm

My story is here. Oh and here too. And here too. Seems like I give an update every year or so. :lol:
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks

The last post on that thread is like 3 years ago. So are you still feeling fine?

Do you have any hints or advice about how to find a bioidentical hormone doctor. There are a lot of quacks out there that are all outside of insurance coverage that just want to sell tests and expensive vitamins. No want to avoid that. It mayea booing outside of our I sit overage and paying out of pocket. But if I do that I want to do my best not to get scammed and want to find a reputable Dr.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Unfulfilled wrote:The last post on that thread is like 3 years ago. So are you still feeling fine?

The third link I added, has my update from 2014, and that's pretty much how I'm still feeling.
Unfulfilled wrote:Do you have any hints or advice about how to find a bioidentical hormone doctor.

For DH, we went with a franchise called BodyLogic MD, and they are very knowledgeable and reputable with biodentical hormone replacement. They are not in our insurance network however, and DH's treatment costs us about $2000 a year. We couldn't afford for me to also go to BodyLogic, so I contacted a compounding pharmacy nearby and asked them for a list of doctors who use their pharmacy to prescribe hormones. Of the 5 names I got back (and that's only 5 in a major metropolitan area :? ) one was actually in our insurance network so I contacted him.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Re: Attention-women who are or have been low T

Postby Unfulfilled » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:51 pm

Sounds like I may have to research and find a compounding pharmacy and check who prescribes like you did. That is a good hint.

I also have to talk with DW. As mentally she may not be ready to have a high drive given the other complexities of this whole marriage/sex dynamic and things she must work out regarding past sexual trauma.

Big as the ducks are lining up it makes sense to look down the road and try to start gathering up the ducks so they are at least nearby so when the time is right we can put them in proper order.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:48 am

I would have thought that there would have been more than one woman who have had low T!

Really only one?

ghostrider
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 30th, 2000

Postby ghostrider » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:05 am

My wife probably has low T, but her doctor doesn't want to treat that or the progesterone levels until we can stabilize the Thyroid, Ferritin (iron), and deal with the depression.

hisadored
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 10th, 1977

Postby hisadored » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:31 pm

After a hysterectomy, my doctor prescribed a compounded testosterone cream to counteract my lack of sexual desire. Worked like a charm! :D In fact, I had to decrease the dosage after a while! :mrgreen:

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Ghost rider, does your wife's dr know that depression is in the top 10 symptoms of low T for women? Maybe her depression is because of, or a contributing factor of low T.

My wife Dr also wanted to concentrate on low thyroid first. And I could initially understand that. But as my wife got thyroid levels better in line, there is no need to not also be working on low T. Frankly I believe it is just an excuse by the Dr. Because they do not know or want to deal with low T in a woman. Since there is no FDA approved method or standard of practice, I think dr's are afraid of getting sued for going outside standard care to treat it should something not work out. So they just avoid it and find other excuses so the patient just takes their advice and do nothing. Meanwhile your (and my) wife remain feeling like [edit].

Ferritin levels are very important to thyroid metabolism. Should ideally get it to 70. Which is at the very top of not above most so called "normal" ranges for ferritin.

Selenium also is a help for conversion from T4 to T3 which can help as well.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:21 pm

hisadored wrote:After a hysterectomy, my doctor prescribed a compounded testosterone cream to counteract my lack of sexual desire. Worked like a charm! :D In fact, I had to decrease the dosage after a while! :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that prescription for low T was a help.

Did it also help you feel better or have other health benefits besides just the obvious increase in sex drive?

Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:18 am

I had/have low T. For a while I used testosterone pellets, but stopped them due to cost, discomfort and the fact that I would get raging high T that would slowly wane over a couple months to nothing. I was like a 15 yr old boy when the pellets were new, and although it was fun at first, the novelty wore off. Too distracting. Men will know what I mean by this :lol:

Then I used a compounded T cream for a little more than a year, and liked it because I could control the dosage according to my symptoms (very low libido plus issues related to chemo-radiation of the pelvic area, for which T therapy is indicated).

Now I have nothing. I can't afford to see the BHRT doctor nor fill the RX, so I'm just waiting it out, praying and hoping the Lord will make a way.

In the meantime, I take Damiana and Catuaba capsules, both inexpensive herbal supplements that work well for me.

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:15 am

Never2late, sorry to hear of your financial woes that prevent you from getting needed medication.

Tell me more about those two supplements you mention. Where do you get them and how have they helped? How much and how often do you take?

DW mentioned something like chaste berry or something to help "balance hormones " whatever that means! But I think that is more related to progesterone and estrogen.

Has anyone had their DHEA levels checked? As I understand it, DHEA is the building lock steroid that testosterone and I think progesterone are built from. So it would stand to reason of DHEA is low, then that would result in low testosterone and other hormones. DW has never had her DHEA level checked.

ghostrider
King bed

Postby ghostrider » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:00 am

Unfulfilled wrote:DW mentioned something like chaste berry or something to help "balance hormones " whatever that means! But I think that is more related to progesterone and estrogen.

Be careful with that one. My wife just planted a Chaste tree this week. The guy at the plant store told her that monks used to eat the berries because it causes impotence (hence the name). Not sure what effect it would have in women but I would be cautious.

Then the plant guy started asking my wife if she does Yoga and talking about how he needs to work on his flexibility (she was wearing yoga pants). I think she was rather pleased that she got hit on. :D

ghostrider
King bed

Postby ghostrider » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:11 am

We've only been on the new thyroid med - Armour (and started Wellbutrin) for 2 weeks. Her Ferritin was only 11 and the dr wants it up to 90. She said normal was 10-220. She increased Iron suppliments 4x to like 92 mg/day. However she has had a lot of stomach cramps off and on the past 3 days - it even woke her up last night for an hour or two. She tried to MB herself against my body at 4 am, but the cramps got too bad and she had to stop. I've suggested that she back off the Iron to the original dose for a few days, take fiber, and hopefully eat a steak :).

robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I had a hysterectomy at 23 and 8 months later had to have another surgery to remove my ovaries thus starting the hormone replacement wars. Pharmaceutical HRT gave me horrible migraines and after a year of that I was done. I've seen the same general practitioner since I was 19 so I have always been able to be really honest with him. I told him I wanted to try the local compounding pharmacy so he pulled out his script pad scribbled HRT on it and sent me on my way.

The compounding pharmacy was great. They asked me how I WANTED to feel rather than telling me how I should feel. I explained that I was accustomed to a high sex drive so I was given testosterone (as well as progesterone, my body still had plenty of estrogen) to use at my own discretion since no one knew better than me how I was feeling that day. I did a saliva test at the very beginning to get an idea of where I was at, then I did another when I felt like things were in a really good balance to establish a baseline.

I used bio-identical HRT for years and then slowly started tapering off as I noticed I didn't need it any more.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

ghostrider
King bed

Postby ghostrider » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:32 pm

is bHRT ever used to treat a simple hormone imbalance for women still having periods? (is this called pre-menopausal or does that mean with-in 2 years of actual menopause?)

Or is it only for post-menopause or hysterectomies?

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Yeah the name chaste berry also made me think. "Well Dr. ....Chastity is the OPPOSITE way we're looking to go!"

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:22 am

Chasteberry is anti-androgenic so it could help or hurt depending on why it's being taken. I'd not recommend it to men, at any rate and be aware of what you're trying to accomplish in a woman.

http://www.naturalalternativeremedy.com/chasteberry-benefits-and-side-effects/

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:30 am

Unfulfilled wrote:Never2late, sorry to hear of your financial woes that prevent you from getting needed medication.

Tell me more about those two supplements you mention. Where do you get them and how have they helped? How much and how often do you take?

Thanks. I get them from Vitacost.com. I take Damiana 3200 mg and Catuaba 2790 mg. Damiana can be taken up to about 7 gms daily and the other 2000 mg daily. They don't give me raging libido or anything, they just make more more "sex positive" during the day. I have noticed that they cause my orgasms to be far more intense than they used to be.

DW mentioned something like chaste berry or something to help "balance hormones " whatever that means! But I think that is more related to progesterone and estrogen.

I linked to a site with info about that above.

Has anyone had their DHEA levels checked? As I understand it, DHEA is the building lock steroid that testosterone and I think progesterone are built from. So it would stand to reason of DHEA is low, then that would result in low testosterone and other hormones. DW has never had her DHEA level checked

They check my DHEA each time I have labs. I'm always low. I take 5 mg daily and it's helping. I forgot to take it for a while (on top of T cream, it was causing breakouts, but alone it's fine).

Unfulfilled
Hammock

Postby Unfulfilled » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:33 am

^^^

Still confused.

You say you can take up to 7grs of Diaina and you are taking 3.2 grams (3,200mg).which makes sense. But then you say you take catuba 2,790 my but the recommended daily is only 2,000mg.

So are you taking more than the recommended daily amount?

Return to “Lack of Desire”