IUD/Antidepressants affecting sex drive

Low or no sex drive?
malloryrenae

IUD/Antidepressants affecting sex drive

Postby malloryrenae » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:23 am

My husband and I have been married almost 8 months. At first we had matching sex drives, until I had my Skyla inserted (I have read a lot about IUDs and how they work, but this is what my gynecologist and psychiatrist think is best for me). It did not help that my body had a hard time adjusting to the Skyla. It took nearly 6 months for things to clear up.

We are only having sex 2-4 times a month. I have little to no interest in sex, or even being touched/cuddled. When my husband initiates, I do not turn him down but tell him we can try, but I might not be able to get there. I am willing to give him a hand job even if we don't try to get me in the mood.

I am on antidepressants, but the psychiatrist is slowly weaning me off of them. If anyone can offer advice or share a similar story, I would greatly appreciate it.

hifromme67
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 22nd, 1986

Re: IUD/Antidepressants affecting sex drive

Postby hifromme67 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:33 am

I was an antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds last year due to a rough patch in our marriage. I didn't notice at first but after a few months, I felt numb down there. We would have sex and I could not orgasm as hard as we tried. It was very, very frustrating. I went off the antidepressants and it took about 4-6 weeks for the sensation to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

themrs
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 1st, 2002

Postby themrs » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:49 am

Wellbutrin is often prescribed to take along with your regular antidepressant and, as my dr explained, it helps reverse that side effect of not being able to orgasm. If your psychiatrist doesn't already have you on Wellbutrin, you should ask about it. It may help!

Cayenne
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1996

Postby Cayenne » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 am

themrs wrote: If your psychiatrist doesn't already have you on Wellbutrin, you should ask about it. It may help!

I was on Wellbutrin for awhile years ago... It sent my libido through the roof! My husband literally thanked the doctor for putting me on it. I second asking about it if you aren't taking it already.
"There, but for the grace of God, go I."

malloryrenae

Postby malloryrenae » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:27 pm

I have taken Wellbutrin before. It was several months before I got married, so I'm not sure how it affects my sex drive. My husband hates that I take antidepressants, and he is the one pushing to get me off them. I don't think he would respond well to adding another medicine, even if it raised my sex drive. He says we shouldn't run to medicine everytime there is a problem in our lives. Unfortunately, my depression is chemical rather than circumstantial.

It is hard to know if he would rather add more medicine or have less sex. In conversation, he would say less sex but that doesn't mean it's the same thing in practice. Also, I really liked Welbutrin when I was on it, so it might give me more energy/productiveness/etc.

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Skyla is hormonal. I would suspect it.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

themrs
Queen bed

Postby themrs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:36 am

malloryrenae wrote:I have taken Wellbutrin before. It was several months before I got married, so I'm not sure how it affects my sex drive. My husband hates that I take antidepressants, and he is the one pushing to get me off them. I don't think he would respond well to adding another medicine, even if it raised my sex drive. He says we shouldn't run to medicine everytime there is a problem in our lives. Unfortunately, my depression is chemical rather than circumstantial.

It is hard to know if he would rather add more medicine or have less sex. In conversation, he would say less sex but that doesn't mean it's the same thing in practice. Also, I really liked Welbutrin when I was on it, so it might give me more energy/productiveness/etc.

I'm sorry he doesn't understand. Do not let him push you to go off. A doctor should be the only one whose input you consider in this regard. The opinion of a man who quite frankly doesn't understand biology and the human body does not get a say in depression treatment.

We as a society don't deny diabetics their insulin and claim they are just "running to medicine when there is a problem" but yet we're perfectly willing to shame people needing antidepressants. Ugh. I'm so sorry.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:47 pm

I disagree with the above comment. Ask your husband why he wants you off. He is your head, and he deserves respect. Period. Does he have a good, solid reason for wanting you off or is it based on pride? Is his reason because he's standing on the Word? If he has Scriptures to back his belief, have you studied them and what have you come to believe? Do you have Scriptures to back your belief, and has he studied them? I believe if you both seek the Lord, you will be unified in the decision. There's no way for the Spirit to give you both different answers.

I encourage you not to be an Asa:
    In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa became diseased in his feet. His disease was severe, yet even in his disease he did not seek the LORD, but the physicians. 2 Chron. 16:12
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

themrs
Queen bed

Postby themrs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:30 pm

^^^ Would you let your husband make medical decisions for your diabetes by looking through scripture?

I agree that certainly it would be best if they can both come to an agreement. However, if you have a spouse who distrusts/refuses modern medicine there's not a lot you can do other than receive the treatment you know you need and pray for your spouse's eyes to be opened. The Bible is supportive of physicians and I don't feel there's any large amount of study needed to come to that conclusion.

From reading 2 Chronicles it seems that Asa's big problem was not that he was seeing a doctor but he had totally turned away from God. Asa was oppressing people and so on. OP doesn't seem to have totally turned away from God like Asa so I'm not sure that verse is particularly relevant. One of the gospels was even written by a physician so clearly the Lord isn't opposed to them. :wink:

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:12 pm

themrs wrote:Would you let your husband make medical decisions for your diabetes by looking through scripture?

We are unified on medical decisions, and we both choose to go to the Lord first. We have our own stories that have brought us to where we are. I have followed the Scripture's guidance on going to the elders, being anointed and was healed... so I'm probably not the one to use the reasoning you do on. It's also why I point people to the Lord, because I know He is The Lord Who Heals, the Great Physician, our Counselor, our Peace, our Joy and I love the NET's version of Is. 33:6, "He is your constant source of stability". I'm not against medicine, the medical field, counselors and such, in general, but I believe we, as children of God, should ALWAYS go to the Lord first, seek Him, and then go where He leads, if He leads us to others outside of Himself. And that's what I am encouraging Malloryrenae and her husband to do together...what's the harm in seeking the Lord? There's a lot of harm that could come if we don't.

The Bible is supportive of physicians and I don't feel there's any large amount of study needed to come to that conclusion.

I'm interested in hearing your support of this. I don't remember "supportive of physician" Scriptures, but I'm not beyond forgetting. Will you PM your passages to me?

From reading 2 Chronicles it seems that Asa's big problem was not that he was seeing a doctor but he had totally turned away from God. Asa was oppressing people and so on. OP doesn't seem to have totally turned away from God like Asa so I'm not sure that verse is particularly relevant. One of the gospels was even written by a physician so clearly the Lord isn't opposed to them. :wink:

I'm also wondering how you got this. These are things said about Asa:
    2 Chron. 14:2 - "Asa did good and right in the sight of the Lord his God."

2 Chron. 15:17 - "But the high places were not removed from Israel; nevertheless Asa's heart was blameless all his days."

We also have Scripture author's that were murderer's, adulterer's and most of the New Testament was written by one who killed Christians...does that mean God's not opposed to them either? :wink: Because one's a physician doesn't really say much, to me anyway, other than we're all redeemable. :D
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

themrs
Queen bed

Postby themrs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:33 pm

Certainly no harm in seeking the Lord but great harm could come if someone who needs antidepressants is guilted into going off of them. That's my only concern here.

In regards to Asa: (from 2 Chronicles)
"At that time Hanani the seer came to Asa king of Judah and said to him: “Because you relied on the king of Aram and not on the Lord your God, the army of the king of Aram has escaped from your hand. 8 Were not the Cushites[b] and Libyans a mighty army with great numbers of chariots and horsemen[c]? Yet when you relied on the Lord, he delivered them into your hand. 9 For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him. You have done a foolish thing, and from now on you will be at war.”

10 Asa was angry with the seer because of this; he was so enraged that he put him in prison. At the same time Asa brutally oppressed some of the people."

And then skimmed through this commentary: http://www.enduringword.com/commentaries/1416.htm

In regards to support for physicians, I would refer you to this article: http://www.gotquestions.org/Christians-go-doctors.html which actually seems like one we would both agree on. :D

Have a great Easter!

Return to “Lack of Desire”