Prozac?

Any sexual problems or difficulties not listed in a specific section.
ghostrider
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 30th, 2000

Prozac?

Postby ghostrider » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:31 am

My DW has had depression, probably for years, but was only diagnosed and started on Wellbutrin 4 months ago. She has seen a lot of improvement but the holidays and dark winter nights are also taking a toll on her energy levels and mood,so she probably needs something more. Her new therapist said she might need something more for anxiety, but our GP said that Wellbutrin is already supposed to help with anxiety also. Sexually, she is wanting sex a lot more and even when she isn't, she is willing and enjoys it pretty much whenever she isn't feeling sick or terribly exhausted.

She has a friend who has been thru several crisis's and her dr put her on Prozac last month, and now she has so much energy she is literally bouncing off walls. Of course, she isn't sleeping either (probably anxiety over an upcoming hysterectomy) and has some weird dreams. This friend is also rail thin (both she and my wife work out together) and has lost weight since prozac - its supposed to be an appetite suppressant for some people, but possibly makes others eat more? My wife is weight conscious - even though she has recently lost all her baby weight and looks great, but its still something she has to constantly manage and she is envious of her friend's lack of appetite. So my DW keeps mentioning that she might need to go on Prozac as well. But I'm worried about this side effects. Wiki mentioned a study where >70% of users reported negative sexual side effects, including some who continued to experience the side effects even after ceasing the prozac. We all know many DRs. are willing to try anything a patient might suggest, especially when there are so many choices avaiable to treat something like depression, but it isn't the Drs who have to experience the side effects. I really want to know our options and likely outcomes but so far I am very leery of the side effects of Prozac - not just the sex issues, but insomnia, dreams, and possibility that it makes her gain weight, not lose, which would probably discourage her more.

Anyone else have experience with it, or taking it with Wellbutrin? Any good outcomes in the bedroom?

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Re: Prozac?

Postby SquarePants » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:01 am

Prozac is an old SSRI, and I was under the impression that it had more intense side effects (both sexual and non-sexual) than some of the slightly newer ones, like Lexapro. A doctor had me try Prozac for a couple of weeks (over 20 years ago) and it was too stimulating for me (in weird and unpleasant ways). Lexapro will most likely kill libido, but the anti-libido effects may be minimized when taken simultaneously with Wellbutrin.

Viibryd is one of the newer SSRIs, and it's supposed to have few if any sexual side effects. I don't think that's out in generic form yet, so it may be expensive, depending on your insurance coverage.

ghostrider
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 30th, 2000

Postby ghostrider » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks - ideally I'd like to see it managed with as few drugs as possible - maybe maintaining or adjusting the dose of Wellbutrin then using a tanning bed to make up for the seasonal lack of vitamin D for energy and daily exercise to manage the anxiety. We are kinda trying this as present as we've read it can work. And we will maybe start CBT therapy. Any idea how effective each option is over the long term?

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:11 am

I've not used Prozac but I have used Paxil which I think is supposed to have similar side effects. For me it did not dampen my desire for sex, but it delayed orgasm. This was good when I used it when I was young, but now it has the ability to prevent me from reaching orgasm. I'm guessing that Prozac might have the same effect on me and perhaps on a woman as well. I found buspirone to be as effective as Paxil for my anxiety, but buspirone has the possible side effect of increasing a man's sexual sensitivity and cause premature ejaculation. Taking buspirone in addition to Paxil tends to reverse the negative effects of Paxil. What I found with the combination is that I had increased pleasure and better control so I could last longer. Kind of the best of both worlds.

I know none of this may be applicable to your wife but hopefully it gives you some idea of what might happen on Prozac.

From what I've read Wellbutrin has the least effect on sex so I think switching to anything else is going to have noticeable negative side effects.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Return to “Other Sexual Changes, Challenges & Difficulties”