Trouble getting on TMB

Rules and guidelines, and how to do things. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Re: Trouble getting on TMB

Postby poetess » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 pm

MDG, yes, it works for me like that, too. But let's say I was reading yesterday on a thread that doesn't use the word "purple" but is about "husbands loving your wives." If I posted on it, fine, I can find it by looking under my posts. But if not, I can't. I know the exact title of the thread . . . but it won't come up because all the words are "too common." So I try "loving" and it brings up 53,592 threads, and the first two pages of replies aren't the ones I was looking for and I'm not about to search through all the pages. The only effective way I've ever found to get a thread that doesn't show up under "recent," "new," etc. but that I know is still current is to remember someone who posted on there, go to a different thread on which that person posted, and then look through their posts for the other one. Very cumbersome. Since I can't always remember who has posted on which thread, sometimes I just can't find the thread at all, or I can't find it until five or six days later someone else posts on it and it is back on "New posts" again. I've had threads to which I want to reply, but haven't yet replied, and an hour of attempts to find it get me nowhere. Not being able to search when I know the exact title of the thread is frustrating.

Here, to be more exact, I'll use an example. Several months ago I was trying to post someone's thread to the "Best of TMB." But I couldn't remember that it was in "polls" and no one had posted anything to it recently. So I simply couldn't find it. I went to search and typed in Best of TMB. This is the reply:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: tmb best of.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.

I was typing in the exact title of the thread (not including the subtitle), but that isn't enough. Couldn't get there. I even tried it with quote marks in case that feature works on here, but it doesn't. I tried the "advanced search," but that didn't work either. I gave up, and someone's wise post didn't get added on there.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

Paul B
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

Postby Paul B » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Two reasons for this. First, if we allowed more common words it would overwhelm the server. Second, if we allowed the more common words you would get hundreds or thousands of posts.

The fix is to use Google. Enter the following, minus the quote mark, into the address bar:

"site:http://www.boards.themarriagebed.com your search terms here"
Paul
Marriage and Sex Educator ~ My passion is better marriages and better married sex lives.

The Generous Husband
The XY Code - Attempting to explain men to women.
Follow me on Twitter @themarriagebed

poetess
Under the stars

Postby poetess » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Paul, is there a way to make it search only the titles of posts, and to allow common words for that? That would seem not so overwhelming. Or to search using quote marks if you do know the exact title or the exact wording of something within a post? As it stands now, the "search" is virtually useless, or at least it has been to me. Great idea on using google, though--I didn't know it could search within the site, considering much of it is members only.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 pm

There is a mechanism to bookmark topics. Users can also subscribe to topics. One other easy tool is to keep a list of thread links in a single PM and edit it as needed.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

poetess
Under the stars

Postby poetess » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 am

Good suggestions, Leah. In my case, it's frequently that I have read a post and haven't had anything to contribute, so I haven't. Hours later I'm in bed and I think about what I could have said in response, but when I try to find it the next day, since I never commented on it, I simply cannot find it. Two or three years ago one thread in particular broke my heart, but I prayed over a response, and when I went back to find the thread, nothing I could do (even PMing the OGs) could bring it up, though I think that two or three days later someone else posted on it again and then it came up in my feed. But I probably need to be more proactive about saving links to threads I "might" visit again if I don't comment the first time.

MayDayGirl
Hammock

Postby MayDayGirl » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 am

Poetess, I've had luck going to Quick Links and then Active Topics to find threads.

There have been times that threads have disappeared completely, but that's due to moderation or the original poster asking it to be removed.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 am

poetess wrote:Paul, is there a way to make it search only the titles of posts, and to allow common words for that? That would seem not so overwhelming. Or to search using quote marks if you do know the exact title or the exact wording of something within a post? As it stands now, the "search" is virtually useless, or at least it has been to me.

We are using the default phpBB search. There may be alternatives, but they would suck up more server power. Anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it! 8)
poetess wrote:Great idea on using google, though--I didn't know it could search within the site, considering much of it is members only.

There certainly is that limit.
Paul
Marriage and Sex Educator ~ My passion is better marriages and better married sex lives.

The Generous Husband

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Trouble with Notifications

Postby SeekingChange » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:23 pm

I am getting this message when I try to use my "notifications" to try to go to a thread:
General Error
Illegal use of $_SERVER. You must use the request class or request_var() to access input data. Found in /var/lib/sec/prepend.php on line 24. This error message was generated by deactivated_super_global.

Is this an issue on my end, or does it have to do with the site? I have gotten it on my tablet and on my PC.

Thanks
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Re: Trouble with Notifications

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I've gotten this, too. It happens when I first logon to TMB. When I immediately go to unread messages or notifications again, I get the correct view.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife

Paul B

Re: Trouble with Notifications

Postby Paul B » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:57 pm

SeekingChange wrote:Is this an issue on my end, or does it have to do with the site? I have gotten it on my tablet and on my PC.

It's here. I have a request in with support.
Paul

The Generous Husband

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:21 pm

A temporary fix has been applied while the cause is found and that is fixed.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't know if this is related or not, so I'll mention it here just in case . . .

The preview button isn't working for me. I wrote a reply to a post, and as I usually do, I clicked on Preview. All I got was the same message screen as I had when I started my reply. When I clicked on "reply with quote," I got the entire post I was responding to--and after I wrote a response and clicked on preview, I was right back at that entire post without anything I'd written. When I clicked on the basic reply button and got a blank box for composing, clicking on preview sent me right back to the blank box.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 pm

Same thing happens to me, even as I was writing this post - Preview button takes me to a blank reply box and wipes out whatever I had written.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:11 pm

OldMarriedLady wrote: Preview button takes me to a blank reply box and wipes out whatever I had written.

I noticed this as well, I thought I must have accidentally hit something wrong. Thankfully, I was able to hit the back arrow and it took me to my previous page with all I had written.

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Everything should be back to normal now.

And I was able to preview this post just fine.
Paul

The Generous Husband

Return to “Rules, Guidelines, How To's and FAQ's”