ANONYMITY, ABUSE, and DRIFTING

Rules and guidelines, and how to do things. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
tmbadmin
Site Admin

ANONYMITY, ABUSE, and DRIFTING

Postby tmbadmin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:42 pm

The following post covers some changes in procedures and rules for the TMB boards. The OG and mods (who are all volunteers) have spent a good deal of time trying to balance various needs and concerns, and feel that what is found below is necessary to keeping TMB the kind of place we all enjoy. Please take the time to read this.

During recent months the Oversight Group (OG) has faced an alarming number of complaints from members about individuals misusing the TMB boards. In stepping back to prayerfully examine the ministry of these boards, the OG has become concerned about several recent trends.
  • There has been an increase in detailed bedroom information coupled with an increasing lack of anonymity on the boards.
  • Certain features of the board have been used to encourage off board interaction resulting in various problems including some unwanted offers for cybersex, and at least one unsolicited video cam showing a man masturbating.
  • There has been a subtle drift away from the purpose of the boards - helping married couples discover, experience, and grow more deeply into God's gift of married sexual intimacy.
ANONYMITY

The OG feels it is important to encourage members to maintain as much anonymity as possible on these boards, especially for those who choose to share in more detailed ways.

Part of what makes this community work and allows for a freer discussion of sexual issues is the anonymity provided by the Internet. Where it might be difficult or even wrong to share explicit details about difficulties with positions, sexual refusal or even just a glorious afternoon with your spouse in a "real life" situation, this forum can provide us with an opportunity to work through some difficulties and praises as a community without the fear of inviting others into our bedrooms.

• Avatars have been problematic, especially when coupled with detailed sexual descriptions. We will no longer allow identifiable personal pictures for avatars .

While we recognize that no one is physically seeing one another here, we want to protect the minds of those that are reading. When there are pictures of actual people to go along with graphic descriptions, it may open up the imagination in ways that can be inappropriate. We want to protect the sanctity of marriage here, and we believe that it includes guarding the eyes and imaginations of our readers.
  • Those who are very open about who they are may be moderated more heavily.

Some here have chosen to be more open with their personal information, including sharing real names, locations and pictures. Each person is welcome to share whatever they feel comfortable with in that regard. However, because we desire to keep things that are to be private that way, we are instituting a two tier moderation standard. Those who choose to share personal information (i.e., real names, links to pictures, etc.) will be moderated more strictly than those who choose to remain anonymous.

As a standard for "not being anonymous" on the boards, we would include sharing any pictures in links to photo hosting sites or any other kind of web posting. If you've met someone from the board in person, you are no longer anonymous. If you mention that you have a relationship with someone off the board (IM's, chat, private emails), we will assume that you are no longer anonymous.

This higher level of moderation will require known posters to be less graphic than other anonymous posters. Posts that are believed to be too graphic will be pulled by a member of the moderating team and returned to you for editing. If they continue to be too graphic, as per the standards, posting privileges may be suspended or terminated. This doesn't mean that you can no longer post questions or share joys, but we would ask that you limit that to very non-descriptive language. For ideas on how to better post in an anonymous manner, even if you are not anonymous, please read the heat guidelines and check out some posts by Paul and Lori.
ABUSE OF THE BOARD SYSTEMS

There has been a recent spate of incidents involving posters not being who they claim to be, as well as posters using the messaging systems as a way to lull members into a false sense of security, getting them to provide personal information and contact points, which the offending member then exploits in some way.

• Because of the misuse of the feature, messengers (AIM, Yahoo etc.) will no longer shown.

The Internet can sometimes be a dangerous place! Please be aware that, even at TMB, we can have people who will take advantage of others. We want to urge you to keep your eyes open and your wits about you when you post or interact with people on the boards.
  • We strongly recommend that you limit your contact with other members to the boards and the PM system unless you are really sure about their identity.

We can remove and ban users from this system. If you keep PMs in your Inbox we can (with your help) use a PM against someone with their ISP or if needed law enforcement. Once you go to e-mail or an IM system, we have no access to messages, and no legal standing on your behalf.
  • Please report any type of suspicious behavior to a moderator or member of the OG.

Even if it's just "a bit creepy" and does not seem like much, several similar reports about one person may tip us off before that person goes too far. The safety of our community is of paramount concern to us, and we strive daily to make sure that TMB stays a place where Godly sexuality can be discussed without fear or shame, and with an openness that is edifying to the Body of Christ, while recognizing always that the Enemy will use whatever means he can to attack the freedom of our community.
DRIFTING

From The Marriage Bed bulletin boards description and purpose statement:
The Marriage Bed boards are a place for married Christians to discuss sex and intimacy from a biblical standpoint. Board members share biblical, scientific, and personal information in an attempt to improve both their marriage relationships and sex lives. Members must be married (spouses of unbelievers welcome), and followers of Christ and His Word. Engaged couples (a ring and a date) are also welcome.

• Posts and threads need to pertain to the purpose of the boards. We understand a certain amount of chatter and fun, but threads that are not in line with these purposes or have too much detail or information about individuals' marriage bed will be removed.

In some cases the problem is not so much that the thread is too explicit , it's that it's too familiar. There are threads that aren't just TMI (Too Much Information), but have the feel of a bunch of people who know each other, have had a little too much to drink, and share stuff that's inappropriate. It's discussion without boundaries. Such discussions often fail to support the purposes of this ministry and encourage misuse of these boards.
  • In addition, in order to keep posts in line with the purposes of the boards, those who are separated and not working to get back together need to limit themselves to the OT sections (which includes a prayer section).

We recognize the need for support during a difficult time of change, but discussion from soon-to-be not marrieds needs to be in the off topic section. We ask that people use this time to transition to other communities more appropriate for singles. Posts made to on topic areas will be removed.
DISCLAIMER

• And finally, just because something is posted in a thread, that posting does not imply that the mod's, OG or owners of the board are in agreement with that post. Moreover, the OG and mods do not have a uniform opinion some of the "gray" or less biblically clear things discussed here.

TMB is a place of discussion and even sometimes debate. It is a given that we will not always agree about everything. So there will be, at times, opinions expressed on the boards that are not in alignment with the opinions held by leadership of the boards. To remove such content categorically would eliminate the possibility for growth and learning that such discussion enables and would ultimately be detrimental to the community here.

If you are unclear on what is meant by anything above, please post so we can clarify. If you are unsure of how something may impact you, post or PM. If you don't like something, send an e-mail to the OG - complaints and "suggestions" will be removed from this thread.

Answers to questions will be edited into the original post in which the question was asked - the answer will start with ANSWER:

Tinkerbell4

Postby Tinkerbell4 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:38 pm

As a standard for "not being anonymous" on the boards, we would include sharing any pictures in links to photo hosting sites or any other kind of web posting. If you've met someone from the board in person, you are no longer anonymous. If you mention that you have a relationship with someone off the board (IM's, chat, private emails), we will assume that you are no longer anonymous.

Does this rule include those who have shared this information previously?

Answer: If it was under another username, there would be no problem. The stronger moderation would be primarily in areas where private information about sexual information was shared.

Gemma
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 14th, 1981

Re: Some changes

Postby Gemma » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 am

The-OG wrote:Avatars have been problematic, especially when coupled with detailed sexual descriptions. We will no longer allow identifiable personal pictures for avatars .

When you say avatars of "identifiable personal pictures" am I correct in assuming that you are only referring to photos of the actual poster? Are photos of other people OK? (ie- Mine is a photo of an actress.)

Thanks OG for all that you do to keep this a safe place.

ANSWER: Yes, images of well know people are acceptable, provided the images are not sensual or suggestive.
Gemma~ refuser for 25yrs, awakened since Dec 2006!
passionwithinmarriage.blogspot.com

There'll be no locks or bolts between us, Mary Kate... except those in your own mercenary little heart! (Thornton in The Quiet Man)

Happy Shulamite
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1998

Postby Happy Shulamite » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:40 am

First of all, thank you all. It must have not been easy to sift all these issues and prayerfully come up with some guidelines.

It is my sincere hope that these changes you've initiated will also foster a climate change on the boards where the snipey personal attacks will no longer occur on threads. If we're all sharing our encouragement strengh and hope or humbly receving other's encouragement strength and hope then there's no room for being cruel and excusing it by saying "the truth hurts".

I do have one question. Are you saying that if I share that I spoke to a TMBer by phone, then I'm no longer anonymous to everyone?
-Shula

ANSWER: Yes. If you have contact with a user outside the boards, we will assume you are no longer anonymous and you will be held to a different standard of moderation.

luvinher

Postby luvinher » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:42 am

Glad to see throughtful care is being applied. May I comment that I sometimes see a poster who has a link to his/her personal blog, and that seems to me to open too wide a door into his/her personal lives. I think you are saying above that that is permissible but will lead to stronger moderation. Is that correct, or is the increased moderation only for IF blog has photos/links?

ETA: I suppose some people might have a blog with zero or few personal details, but that is fairly much a rarity - though there are some people with political rant blogs.

ANSWER: Correct. Posters are welcome to share whatever personal information that they feel is appropriate. However, in sharing this information, they subject themselves to stricter moderation, particularly in sexually explicit posts.
Last edited by luvinher on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seekryt
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 1999

Postby Seekryt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:48 am

Posts and threads need to pertain to the purpose of the boards. We understand a certain amount of chatter and fun, but threads that are not in line with these purposes or have too much detail or information about individuals' marriage bed will be removed.

In some cases the problem is not so much that the thread is too explicit , it's that it's too familiar. There are threads that aren't just TMI (Too Much Information), but have the feel of a bunch of people who know each other, have had a little too much to drink, and share stuff that's inappropriate. It's discussion without boundaries. Such discussions often fail to support the purposes of this ministry and encourage misuse of these boards.

Could you clarify/maybe give an example of how much is too much?

One of the beautiful things about TMB is the sense of community, and sense of humour and humanity that you can get here - I find it so encouraging to be able to see that everyone else here is a "normal" person. I certainly don't want to cross some kind of line, though...

Keep up the great work. TMB has blessed me like crazy.

ANSWER: There are two quotes here. One would be an example of something appropriate, the other would be one that is too familiar.
"Position: The woman lays on the bed, facing up. The man is kneeling, straddling her. This also gives her the advantage of having both hands free."

"Can you tell when he's about to squirt? When he's close, I keep him in my mouth far towards the back, so that he squirts into the back of my mouth, NOT onto my tongue. I swallow a few times before he climaxes to get myself "used" to swallowing. Then when he releases, I swallow as much as I need to. When it's all back there, I don't taste it or "feel" it."
Always know where your towel is.

freetalive

Postby freetalive » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:07 am

Yes, please do clarify the guidelines...as I seem to be one of the ones going over the line too much :shock: :oops: I don't want to but it just happens because I'm so comfortable. I changed my avatar and arandom1's as well.

ANSWER: There are two issues - being too sensual/sexual, as opposed to being more clinical and letting others "see" you having sex by your words.

Choice of words is one factor in this "climax" vs "come".

Descriptive terms and details is another factor "I yanked down her skimpy red thong" vs. "I removed her panties".

Also consider the difference in stating a fact and giving the information you used to get to the fact "I knew she was very aroused" vs. "she was very wet, and was moaning a lot, so I knew she was very aroused".

Details on your thoughts and motives is also likely to be a problem.

Being a good story teller is actually a problem here - the better you tell it, the more you draw us into the situation.

IamHis&his

Postby IamHis&his » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:26 am

Hi, fairly new here :wave Just want to publically apologize for not remaining anonymous, both on the board and privately with another member :oops: . I edited a post, which linked to my testimony at a board where I post and am who I am. I also chose to not remain anonymous with another member, thinking I have nothing to hide. I pray along with you that this board would thrive, it has helped me, my hubby and our marriage bed so much. I would appreciate being personally messaged (PM'd) if I violate any of the rules. I don't like having to wonder if I have done anything wrong, especially if I am going to be strictly monitored....I'm trying to break away from that fear mind set. Thank you for protecting us!

ANSWER: These rules are new, so anything in the past is not "breaking the rules".

Anything that can be done to make one's self less known is good. Removing blog links for example.

The stricter moderation will not be sudden and harsh, and if you have not been very open about who you are in the past, it should not be an issue.

fairleus

Postby fairleus » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:37 am

I can see that a lot of thought and prayer went into this. Thank you for caring.

What worries me is that for some, this whole messageboard thing seems to be new to them, and they just don't seem to grasp just how big and far-reaching the internets really are.

It's scary to think about. We all need to protect ourselves and our families, especially those family members who do NOT post here, since it could be an invasion of their privacy to discuss potentially identifiable items or personal things.

COMMENT: Parts of the TMB boards (what you can see when you are not logged in) are indexed by Google and other search engines - so what you say here becomes public domain.

Mr. Rkt
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby Mr. Rkt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:47 am

IamHis&his wrote:Hi, fairly new here :wave Just want to publically apologize for not remaining anonymous, both on the board and privately with another member :oops: .

IAH&H, I'm not part of the OG, but I wanted to reply to this because that part of the new rules also applies to me. The new rules don't say that you MUST remain anonymous, as the OG is defining it. They just say that if you choose not to, then you will be subject to a higher level of moderation. Further, they say that if there is something the mods deem past the line, they will send it to you to edit. That seems pretty friendly to me, and you shouldn't assume that you did anything wrong.

In my case, I have developed friendships with a few of the husbands on the board, and I've written about that. There is one that I chat with almost daily. I am talking in more of a mentoring way with a husband and posting prayer requests for him right now. I've been open about that.

I have never posted my name, identity, or any personal links on the board, however. So except for that handful of Christian men (with whom I share some interests that we don't discuss on TMB), I really am just as anonymous on the board as I always was. But the new rules say that I'm not. That's okay with me, because I understand why the rule is in place, and I appreciate the effort to keep this site focused on its ministry. I have been so blessed, as has my marriage, by this site, and I have loved the opportunity it has given me to minister to others.

Thanks to all the volunteers who work so hard to keep this site a wonderful and Godly resource for married Christians!

COMMENT:

The new rules don't say that you MUST remain anonymous, as the OG is defining it. They just say that if you choose not to, then you will be subject to a higher level of moderation.

Correct. Each person has a choice to make, and neither choice is wrong.
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?

Anismommy

Postby Anismommy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:54 am

Oh, I forgot to ask..... my avatar is a photo of my feet, my daughter's feet, and hubby's feet..... if this is a problem, please let me know, and I'll be happy to change it. Thanks again!

ANSWER: Feet are fine. Basically the stipulation is that the avatars not have an "identifiable" personal image. We have some here with just hands, or feet, or very blurred or dark shadowed images where you can't identify the people or their features, or see their build well, and those are fine.

Queen bed

Postby moderator » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:39 am

Note - Answers to questions will be edited into the original post in which the question was asked - the answer will look like this:

ANSWER: Yes, this is fine, just don't run with scissors in your mouth, your face might get stuck like that!

luvinher

Postby luvinher » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:02 am

Seekryt wrote: Could you clarify/maybe give an example of how much is too much?

One of the beautiful things about TMB is the sense of community, and sense of humour and humanity that you can get here - I find it so encouraging to be able to see that everyone else here is a "normal" person. I certainly don't want to cross some kind of line, though...

Keep up the great work. TMB has blessed me like crazy.

Answer: There are two quotes here. One would be an example of something appropriate, the other would be one that is too familiar.
"Position: The woman lays on the bed, facing up. The man is kneeling, straddling her. This also gives her the advantage of having both hands free."

"Can you tell when he's about to squirt? When he's close, I keep him in my mouth far towards the back, so that he squirts into the back of my mouth, NOT onto my tongue. I swallow a few times before he climaxes to get myself "used" to swallowing. Then when he releases, I swallow as much as I need to. When it's all back there, I don't taste it or "feel" it."

Explicit posts like the second example won't be causing extra moderation of someone will it? I thought the main point of the opening post was about results of losing one's anonymity.

Answer: The posting guidelines will be more strictly adhered to for all posters. However, there will be greater grace for those who are fully anonymous on the boards than those who haven chosen not to be fully anonymous.

Shulamite-in-Training

Postby Shulamite-in-Training » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:02 am

Some here have chosen to be more open with their personal information, including sharing real names, locations and pictures. Each person is welcome to share whatever they feel comfortable with in that regard. However, because we desire to keep things that are to be private that way, we are instituting a two tier moderation standard. Those who choose to share personal information (i.e., real names, links to pictures, etc.) will be moderated more strictly than those who choose to remain anonymous.

Being a good story teller is actually a problem here - the better you tell it, the more you draw us into the situation.

Uh-ohhhhhhhh....! :shock:

I've been, ummmm, *rather* open about who I am, where I live, without any regard for anonymity, since I was outed over 3 years ago... & yeah, some of my posts could be considered detailed in a story-telling kinda way.

Yes, I agree that I should be very strictly moderated -- perhaps some of the moderators should move in next door, and position their computers so that they can look into my window, and SEE my computer, and thus keep a very close eye on me, and perhaps hold my children hostage should I get out of line...?

(oh, wait. done deal.) :wave

(but we could certainly make a deal regarding the holding of my children hostage...!) 8)

:mrgreen:

Seriously (yes, I can be serious), I agree with this action, and I fully understand it. I imagine that many of us will have to go through trial and error, as we adjust to new standards of how to post appropriately... there is a way to be both open and transparent, and yet be more informational than sensational.

Knowing the moderators involved, I'm sure it'll all be handled with grace -- hopefully those of us who need correction will receive it gracefully as well.

COMMENT: Some older posts cross newer lines. We will not "grandfather" anything, but the reality is many older posts will slip by. Those who have a post in a very active thread that may cross the line are encouraged to read through and edit as needed.

MBN

Postby MBN » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:21 pm

What if there is a poster that goes by a name on the board, and everybody thinks that is his real name, but it's actually not his real name? Would he be edited stricter because people think that is his name, even though nobody would know his real name? I guess he would have to be contacted to see if it was his real name, but make sure that he didn't give the OG his real name, because then he would be subject to heavier editing. Also, if somebody has given his name to another poster in a PM, how are you going to verify that he has given his real name, and not a made up name? Is there going to be "I know this poster's name" button right next to the "report post" button??

Answer: We're trusting people will simply be honest about what kind of personal info they've shared. If you're communicating with someone privately a lot, we'd ask that you self-moderate the level of personal sexual info shared. The moderators and OG are not going to be going on a big hunting expedition trying to find out who is and is not anonymous, instead we're asking posters to be honest with us.

Jellyfish

Postby Jellyfish » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:49 pm

I technically fall into the "not engaged" category by the guidelines you posted (ring and date; i know he has the ring and the plan and our time frame is next spring but he hasn't popped the quesiton yet) so I will be refraining from posting until that happens. However, I just found out that a friend of mine's VERY serious b/f mentioned this site to her for them when they get engaged (niether of them frequent the board, he just recommended it to her for when they get engaged) and knowing that possibly in the very near future one of them could be on here, I would like to change my screen name as it's the one I use for everything (thinking no one I knew would ever be here and know I was on here). Is there a way to do this?

Answer: If you want to change your screenname, you can either PM one of the members of the OG who are identified by their avatar, or you can send an email to them at og@themarriagebed.com. One thing to realize is that this won't change the quotes from your old posts with your old screenname. So if someone else quoted you, their post will still say, "thesquishy wrote."

Also, I respect your definition of engagement (ring and date) and will respect and understand if you choose to stick to that, but I wonder how many people are in a situation similar to mine. My fh and I are only planning on being engaged 6 months max and I would like to be able to ask questions and clean knowledge from the older marrieds here already but he hasn't actually asked me yet. We talk about it openly with friends and family in a 100% way, we got an apartment together (I live here alone, but we pay the rent jointly) and I know he has the ring and the plan. I will understand if you can't take everything little detail into account and would rather just put an umbrella definition over it but was wondering if you would be ok with someone in a situation like mine posting rather than just reading?

Answer: The OG handles these issues on a case by case basis. However, we would also encourage people who have a long time before their marriage to consider waiting to read and post here, as the discussions could stir up some strong sexual feelings. We don't want to see anyone struggle with the wait for marriage, and if you are experiencing that struggle, we would rather that you wait to read and post.

Paul B
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

My personal take ....

Postby Paul B » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:32 pm

As already suggested by others, the Internet is not as automatically anonymous as most folks suspect. If you give our a blog, assume anyone with any search engine skills could find your home address. The same may be true if you give out your e-mail address (Google your e-mail and see what you get) or your full real name (Google that, it may scare you!).

There are some here, Lori and I among them, who have made a decision to not be anonymous. That is not wrong, but we want everyone to understand what it means, and we want folks to choose it, not do something that gives them away.

At least one poster lost a job because of TMB, and [a pastor and wife] lost a church and a lot of friends because they were identified. Others have had similar problems - sex is still the third rail in the church, and if you are open here it will very likely bite you one day.

As to putting our sex lives on display - one way to avoid this is to describe things in third person. Granted Lori and I find this easy, since half of what we describe we've never actually done, but even if everything you post is personal experience, you can distance yourself by doing it their person. This will also make it easier for those reading to put themselves and their spouse into the mental image, and that is a very good thing.

<>< Paul

Mr. Rkt

Re: Some changes

Postby Mr. Rkt » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:48 am

The-OG wrote:[list][*]Posts and threads need to pertain to the purpose of the boards. We understand a certain amount of chatter and fun, but threads that are not in line with these purposes or have too much detail or information about individuals' marriage bed will be removed.

This is a good point, and shouldn't really hurt the fellowship we feel here. I know that when I came to TMB almost a year ago, I really felt like an outsider, because of the familiarity of the posters with each other. Every now and then I notice a newbie who brings their concern here, only to have it lost in the light-hearted give and take of some long-time posters joshing each other. It's easy to forget how intimidating that can be to someone seeking.

Remember the thread "I Don't Fit In?" I and a number of what are now frequent posters were fairly new at that time, and some of this was discussed in that thread.

While a spirit of love and charity and the familiarity of brothers and sisters should always be evident from what we write, the actual "fun fellowship" for lack of a better word is best suited to the Off-Topic areas, IMHO. We don't want new posters feeling like there are cliques here that they can never fit into.
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?

Queen bed

Postby moderator » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:07 am

The purpose of this thread is to make the community aware of some changes to the moderation of the boards and to answer any questions about that particular subject. The Oversight Group is not making a statement as to how right or wrong it is to be anonymous, nor is it saying that one is necessary or unnecessary to allow more freedom in the Church. If you have any questions about the specifics of the moderation, please post them. Comments with regard to how being anonymous or not is more God pleasing will be removed. Thank you.

King Charming
Hammock

Postby King Charming » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:18 pm

KyWildcat wrote:
luvinher wrote:So, Seacher, assuming you are mainly sharing about your personal life (and not meaning explicit posts) I don't see that you have lost much posting ability at all.

You forgot the pertinent part:
In addition, in order to keep posts in line with the purposes of the boards, those who are separated and not working to get back together need to limit themselves to the OT sections (which includes a prayer section).

We recognize the need for support during a difficult time of change, but discussion from soon-to-be not marrieds needs to be in the off topic section. We ask that people use this time to transition to other communities more appropriate for singles. Posts made to on topic areas will be removed.

So what's being said is that this is going to be enforced now. The defacto operating procedure seems to this point to have been to let some members who are separated, divorced, etc. continue to post everywhere on the board. I don't especially want to see some of those folks barred from the full board either, but that seems to be the message now, right?

Answer: Correct. This rule applies only to those who are separated and not seeking reconciliation. If someone is separated, but trying to salvage their marriage, they are allowed to post on any part of the boards. If they are not, or they are divorced after being a member when they were married, they are allowed to post on the off topic section only.
Princes don't have to change diapers and wash dishes.

Return to “Rules, Guidelines, How To's and FAQ's”