How to lose an argument online

Rules and guidelines, and how to do things. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
Paul B
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

How to lose an argument online

Postby Paul B » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 pm

This post by Seth Godin is outstanding - bits don't apply here, but all in all he has hit on what makes a post useful or just annoying.

Paul

plainsofabraham

Re: How to lose an argument online

Postby plainsofabraham » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:48 am

This kind of totalitarian control reminds me so much of Hitler that I think we are on a slippery slope to a loss of freedom of speech here. Why would you even bring up such a thing if you didn't have some sort of agenda, perhaps a psychological complex of some sort?

Message boards are kinda like baking a cake, aren't they? All ingredients that go in are different, some which you wouldn't think about putting in your mouth by themselves.

Oh man...enough people here know me that I am no longer anonymous. :roll:

I am now embarrassed. :oops:

:D

King Charming
Hammock

Postby King Charming » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:44 am

Princes don't have to change diapers and wash dishes.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:56 am

9. Fail to read forum rules OR read them and ignore them.
10. Ignore other threads on the same subject.
11. Post the same story in every forum, but leave out pertinent details.
12. "What do you think? Only post if you agree with me."
13. Skip the part about learning forum features so you quote the whole previous posts over and over again while you yell at people.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Seekryt
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 1999

Postby Seekryt » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:22 am

14. Use words that you don't actually understand, and spell everything incorrectly.

15. Post random comments about pineapple, convinced that it will prove your point.

16. Repeat the same thing over and over, hoping that repetition (and possibly larger font or colours) will win the day.

Pinepple.

PINEPPLE.

PINEPPLE!!!!!
Always know where your towel is.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

High five, Seekryt!
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Mr. Rkt

Postby Mr. Rkt » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am

Forum posts, heck. Nearly all public discourse sounds like that to me today. It's the main reason I finally gave up on all forms of TV news. Producers have abandoned light for heat, and evidently viewers are entertained by speakers who follow those rules. It's rare to hear a thoughtful political speech as well, because those rules seem to govern even the most casual of persuasive efforts.

You know, lawyers do this too. I liked how he tore apart the "slippery slope" argument. I've used similar responses to counter the mindless projections of the slippery slope while arguing in court.

This is how people speak now. Go to a city council open forum some time, and listen to the common questions of the citizen participants. To a man or woman, they will nearly all either use the slippery slope, or mention fascists, or what have you. It's what they know, because the art of persuasive speaking is nearly lost.

By the way, lest it sound like I'm describing a slippery slope myself -- the intelligence of the minds which are saying these things is still in there. If you're willing to learn how to express yourself persuasively without reliance upon lazy props like these, you can be even more powerfully persuasive than in the past, because people aren't used to hearing a truly persuasive argument anymore.
Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?

Return to “Rules, Guidelines, How To's and FAQ's”