OG Statement on Political Avatars

Rules and guidelines, and how to do things. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
Dale
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

OG Statement on Political Avatars

Postby Dale » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:49 pm

It has been the longstanding policy of TMB not to allow any political discussions on the forum. Some posters have used their avatars as a loophole in this policy to make subtle but real political statements. The Oversight Group has found that such avatars themselves can be lightning rods to debate political topics, and there is no effective way to monitor or moderate each thread where a political discussion may suddenly erupt based on what a poster has for their avatar. Therefore, political avatars will no longer be permitted on TMB. A political avatar is defined as any avatar that features any type of political message or likeness of a political figure in any way, regardless of whether the person being portrayed is living or dead.

Any politically-based avatar will be pulled by the moderators, and the poster will be notified by Private Message. If there are any questions about the acceptability of a particular avatar image, please contact a moderator or one of the OG.

Dale
For the TMB Oversight Group

Kilarin
Under the stars

Re: OG Statement on Political Avatars

Postby Kilarin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:08 pm

Dale, I find your avatar to be a painfully political one.
What about the poor goblins, orcs, southrons, and nazgul who support Sauron in Middle Earth politics? Using Gandalf as an avatar, holding Glamdring no less! (That is a sword specifically created to kill goblins and orcs) is likely to hurt the feelings of members of the Barad-dur party.
If we are trying to stay politically neutral here, you need to change your avatar to something less politically charged, like perhaps Tom Bombadil. He never took sides in any political debates.

Honestly, I agree with this policy completely. I just couldn't resist. Sorry :)

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:45 pm

True about Gandalf!
I am setting up a Sauron avatar asap!!

:lol:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Shipguy
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 1st, 1980
Location: Picture a cartoon thought bubble with a heavy scribble mark inside

Postby Shipguy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:54 am

And speaking of avatars, not long ago I got beaten up very badly for changing my avatar every once and a while. Oh, were are those avatar police now? Oh the shame of duplicity. :mrgreen:
If you feel you need to tell someone how wise you are,
they probably already know.

Return to “Rules, Guidelines, How To's and FAQ's”