Does it do more good than harm?

Rules and guidelines, and how to do things. Have a question about how the boards work? Here's an answer.
Paul B
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 27th, 1985
Location: The Inland Empire - north of Spokane, south of Canada

Does it do more good than harm?

Postby Paul B » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:41 pm

Recently we (the OG) have been taking a hard look at the boards, and asking ourselves what's our primary reason for being here, what detracts from that, and what kind of limits we need to fit within what we want to be. What we are finding is that we don't just need to redraw a line that has been crossed, we need to actually move the line.

With that in mind, the "What makes you want to stare?" thread was removed last night, and the poetry thread will be removed tonight.

As I was reading the "What makes you want to stare?" I was asking myself "Does this do more good than harm?" In addition to examples of outfits etc. that tempt guys to lust, the thread had some recounting of women who had unintentionally or intentionally exposed themselves to a fellow. In the past we've allowed such posts, and I've made a couple of such posts myself, so this is not to scold anyone.

As I read the latest "makes you stare" entries, I was asking myself if posts like these offer any benefit, and if so, does that benefit outweigh the chance that it will cause someone to stumble? What good can come from sharing the things that tempt us to lust? The chance for second hand voyeurism is certainly present, and I see no deep good that can come from this to outweigh that potential evil.

Along a similar line, the poetry thread(s) are of a concern. I will plead guilty to not being "into" poetry, but I think we need to treat this like any other creative writing here:

Does it teach something important?
Does it give us an unnecessary look into a couple's sexuality?
Does it run the risk of causing lust?
Does it run the risk of causing jealousy?
How does the first balance with the others?

The OG has decided to close the current poetry thread. I'm not saying poetry won't be allowed, but poetry for the sake of poetry will be carefully weighed by the things I outlined above.

<>< Paul

Return to “Rules, Guidelines, How To's and FAQ's”