TTC: Fertility Treatments

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
MapleSyrup
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 19th, 2006

Re: TTC: Fertility Treatments

Postby MapleSyrup » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:24 am

No, I've never temped. I've read about it and researched it a bit, but I'm so inconsistent with my wake up times---especially in the summer---that I'm not sure it would be accurate. But the OvaCue allows for BBT graphing alongside the other indicators, so for the $10 it costs for a thermometer, I might as well try it, right? :)

My other concern is the fact that my cycle is irregular, and BBT seems to work best on a developing pattern and doesn't really predict ovulation, but rather indicates ovulation has happened. So it would be okay to use in conjunction with other stuff, but isn't a reliable predictor for timing intercourse.
Last edited by MapleSyrup on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave."
(Martin Luther)

Drop by my devotional blog sometime!
http://thedailystumbler.blogspot.com
for those whose faith seems to have two left feet

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:27 am

Oh, and even if the OvaCue is a glorified OPK, I figured it'd still be worth it, as I know I've spent over that amount buying OPK strips over the past year and a half anyway! :lol:

I don't plan on buying any more OPKs if the OvaCue works.
"Let the wife make her husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave."
(Martin Luther)

Princess_Bear
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 28th, 2007

Postby Princess_Bear » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:52 pm

MapleSyrup wrote:My other concern is the fact that my cycle is irregular, and BBT seems to work best on a developing pattern and doesn't really predict ovulation, but rather indicates ovulation has happened. So it would be okay to use in conjunction with other stuff, but isn't a reliable predictor for timing intercourse.
You are correct that BBT doesn't predict ovulation. You need to watch your cervical fluid for that.

If your cycle is irregular, I'm surprised all your hormone draws came back normal. I'm not a doctor, but I know a thing or two about reading test results. You wouldn't happen to be willing to share the actual numbers, would you?
Administrator of the "Christian Fertility Awareness Support Group" on Facebook. All women welcome!

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Princess_Bear wrote:
MapleSyrup wrote:My other concern is the fact that my cycle is irregular, and BBT seems to work best on a developing pattern and doesn't really predict ovulation, but rather indicates ovulation has happened. So it would be okay to use in conjunction with other stuff, but isn't a reliable predictor for timing intercourse.
You are correct that BBT doesn't predict ovulation. You need to watch your cervical fluid for that.

If your cycle is irregular, I'm surprised all your hormone draws came back normal. I'm not a doctor, but I know a thing or two about reading test results. You wouldn't happen to be willing to share the actual numbers, would you?

I was never given the actual numbers for anything other than my progesterone CD21 levels... I was just told things were "normal". I guess I could ask to go over that stuff tomorrow, maybe??
(Martin Luther)

pnbb
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 19th, 1995

Postby pnbb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:54 pm

Maple- I just read some of your posts (not all of them on this thread) and first I just want to say I am so sorry you have to go through this. I know the heartache all too well, unfortunately.

Your situation almost sounds just like mine. DH's numbers and motility were all good. My hormone levels were all good. HSG- clear. I ovulated a little late (CD 19) with a 30-31 day cycle (short luteal phase though). But my periods were regular.

We did 3 months of Clomid then 3 months of IUI. All failed then we gave up because the next step was IVF and we didn't want to do that. In fact my 3rd month of IUI I had 6 very mature follicles and my RE wanted to cancel that month fearing I would have 6 fertilized eggs! We proceeded (I didn't want $1000 of meds that month to go to waste) but in the end I got my period. :'(

Have you had an US(ultrasound) of your ovaries after ovulation? It *could* be possible the follicle is still there holding the egg that was never released.
Also, do you have a child with your DH? I read somewhere during my TTC years that some women end up having a (for lack of a better term) "allergy" to their DH's semen after having a child. Don't quote me on that info, it was so long ago that I read that and I don't remember where I read it.

I hope you get your BFP sooner than later!!!
HE>i

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 pm

pnbb wrote:
Have you had an US(ultrasound) of your ovaries after ovulation? It *could* be possible the follicle is still there holding the egg that was never released.
Also, do you have a child with your DH? I read somewhere during my TTC years that some women end up having a (for lack of a better term) "allergy" to their DH's semen after having a child. Don't quote me on that info, it was so long ago that I read that and I don't remember where I read it.

I hope you get your BFP sooner than later!!!

pnbb, thanks for sharing your story. I'll ask about the ultrasound... I haven't had one at all.

No. No children. We're TTC #1.

I also hope for BFP soon... :| Really hoping this is the month after all this prep! :P
(Martin Luther)

angellove
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 20th, 1990

Postby angellove » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:43 pm

What kind of tracking of your cycle do you do currently?

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:27 pm

I have used OPKs and gone off personal "averages" for a version of the rhythm method. But OPKs were the extent of what I did to attempt to pinpoint ovulation. I thought that would be enough but some months I didn't get a positive result---not sure if I didn't ovulate those months or if I missed the surge and needed to test twice a day.

I've tried paying attention to cervical mucus but I never got the hang of "classifying" the mucus properly.

I've been tracking my cycle lengths for three years with the Period Tracker app.

I bought a basal thermometer today, so we'll give that a try!! :)
(Martin Luther)

angellove

Postby angellove » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Fertility Friend has a mobile app that has both bbt and symptom inputs. That is the one that a lot of women who I know have used. It is free and has charting so that you can analyze the data. There are some fertility problems that can show up in more detailed charting of temps and symptoms.

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Definitely ask for the results. If your doctor won't give them to you, ask the lab.

And if you start a free chart on fertilityfriend.com I would be happy to help you interpret your temperatures.
Administrator of the "Christian Fertility Awareness Support Group" on Facebook. All women welcome!

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Dear Maplesyrup,

All I can do from here is send love from Sarah and me, and pray for your success in all this.

Love and prayers

Job and Sarah
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:07 am

***DOCTOR APPOINTMENT UPDATE***

Apparently Clomid was all the OBGYN was prepared to do and now that it has failed, he said the next step is to wait for the referral to the fertility clinic to go through. Our only options---that he's prepared to offer--- are IUI and IVF through the fertility clinic referral. He wasn't even willing to prescribe Femara when I brought it up.

I'm so frustrated and disheartened right now. :(
(Martin Luther)

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am

:( I'm sorry, Maple.

Did he at least give you a copy of your test results?

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 am

Princess_Bear wrote::( I'm sorry, Maple.

No. And I didn't ask after it became clear with a few of my questions that it really didn't matter at this point. It was all going to be left up to the fertility clinic now. There's nothing further he's going to do other than facilitate communication between me and whatever the clinic wants.
(Martin Luther)

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am

MapleSyrup wrote:
Princess_Bear wrote::( I'm sorry, Maple.

No. And I didn't ask after it became clear with a few of my questions that it really didn't matter at this point. It was all going to be left up to the fertility clinic now. There's nothing further he's going to do other than facilitate communication between me and whatever the clinic wants.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the fertility clinic orders their own round of tests and that they're more comprehensive than what your OBGYN ordered.

Just please make sure that you confirm ovulation through temperatures the cycle before doing your CD3 labs (I'm not going to be surprised if the clinic orders them again). If you don't ovulate in the cycle before those tests, then the results will not be accurate (just like I said upthread about the CD21 progesterone draw). A good clinic will tell you not to do them unless you ovulate, but a clinic that really doesn't know their stuff won't care. It is different in cases where the woman is getting her period only every six months or so, but it sounds like in your case, your cycle is comparatively regular, even if a little on the long side.

angellove

Postby angellove » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm so sorry, too. It is so frustrating when doctors are not helpful.

MapleSyrup
Hammock

Postby MapleSyrup » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Found out tonight that my sister is pregnant with #2. That's two kids conceived in the time I've been trying for one. Someone shoot me.

Trying to be happy for her, but I am so upset and angry at the unfairness of the situation. The timing of her announcement (being the day after my doc appointment and day after I get my period) could not have been worse. Please, someone, make the pain stop. I can't stop crying.
(Martin Luther)

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 pm

I remember that pain ::bh Praying for you...
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

I thought I would share this story in hope that it gives hope rather then causes pain...

After trying to get pg for a time, and going through the pain of my sister having her 2nd child before me conceiving one, this happened...

One day as I was driving home, more then likely in tears and sharing my frustration with God, a song came on, "If I Stand" by Rich Mullins...

(this is the chorus)
If I stand, let me stand on the promise, that you will pull me through
And if I can't, let me fall on the grace, that first brought me to You
If I sing, let me sing for the joy, that is born in me these songs
And if I weep let it be as a man who is longing for his home.

It was during this song that I gave all of my plans up. I surrendered them all to Him. My future as a mother was in His hands. Later that night, I journaled what happened (which I am a very sporadic journaler).

A few years later I was rereading my journal and guess what I saw...
ONE YEAR TO THE DAY, my son was born. I never would have realized the awesomeness of God if I wouldn't have journaled my surrendering that night.

God's got some Awesomeness in store for you!
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Princess_Bear
Queen bed

Postby Princess_Bear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

*hugs* Maple. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that pain too on top of everything else.

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”