Sex in the third trimester

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
retrowife

Sex in the third trimester

Postby retrowife » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:26 am

DH and I are expecting our second baby and I'm just entering the third trimester. With our first baby, was had stopped having sex (PIV) by this stage as it was just too awkward, but this time we want to perservere and figure it out. Any suggestions for easy positions at this stage? We have always basically just done variarions of missionary or WOT (when I'm not pregnant I mean) cos various attempts at anything else just don't work out, so after a while we go back to one of our old favourites. We've just never been able to figure out the angle for things like spooning or edge of the bed....as in, we've never actually managed to get IN! Sure limits our options now that my belly is so big! Sorry if this is TMI!

Dgenerous
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 19th, 2005

Re: Sex in the third trimester

Postby Dgenerous » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:14 am

Have you tried any rear entry positions?
I have found the one whom my soul loves.

John143
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 2003

Postby John143 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:03 am

Doggy style is good, but your DH needs to be careful about not going too deep. My DW and I enjoyed a spooning sex position where she would lie on her side and I would enter her from behind. Her belly was supported on the bed while we ML.
---
Make the best love you can make!
www.MarriedDance.com: Christian-friendly sex toy store
www.CFSPs.co: Christian-friendly illustrated sex positions
www.MarriageBed.tips: Christian-friendly sex tips and techniques

C_Brown
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1984

Postby C_Brown » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 am

Doggie style (perhaps with shoulders lowered to the bed), woman on top (perhaps facing towards his feet will make it easier), you laying on the bed with your bum at the edge and pillows to raise you hips up and him standing between your legs. Have fun finding what works for you.
So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing -- Yvaine (in the movie Stardust)

Audsie8

Postby Audsie8 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 pm

John143 wrote:Doggy style is good, but your DH needs to be careful about not going too deep. My DW and I enjoyed a spooning sex position where she would lie on her side and I would enter her from behind. Her belly was supported on the bed while we ML.

This was our favorite position during the third trimester as well. You on top would work well, because you can control the depth and pace.

I have about 7 wks until the third tri. Good times! :D

dc9
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 21st, 2001

Postby dc9 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:20 pm

We managed to ML in missionary the whole pregnancy.

Other nice positions are WOT, doggie, spoons.

Another very nice position we used is like this: DW lie on her side with her upper leg bent and her lower leg straight and DH kneeling/straddle her lower leg.

HisWarrior
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 2002

Postby HisWarrior » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

We did missionary with hubby being more upright so as not to squash my belly. We did WOT. There's also spooning (yeah, that angle is tricky, but what a great way to figure it out), doggy style, sitting up, or if getting in is tricky, painful, or halted by the doctor, there's always oral, manual and outercourse (he could thrust between your thighs frontward or rearward...hubby and I did this when I was put on pelvic rest for preterm labor).

meglettx
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 9th, 2013

Postby meglettx » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16 am

Helpful post. Just entered 3rd tri and of course all the extra fun we were having in the beginning of the 2nd has totally gone for me and we have to work extra hard and long now for me to enjoy. I know DH would love to keep things interesting with some variety but it's so stinking hard to find a position that is comfortable! I'm bad enough about that when I'm not pregnant. We are still mostly doing missionary and he props up a little so as not to put too much weight on the belly because I like the security of that, WOT makes me feel exposed and less able to relax. I mostly feel like a lame wife right now because we are still pretty much newlyweds and I don't even have the desire or energy to try new stuff, heck I finally managed to try OS for him the first time this weekend as a birthday present. He loved it, but he loves most anything it seems and he wants me to be excited like he is about something. The whole learning to communicate is super hard! Trying to be honest and yet not have him feel [edit] because I don't come into the bedroom all hot and bothered EVER right now. We have to get me from zero to 60 while he's trying to hold back. He's really a doll about everything, I have no complaints whatsoever. He WANTS me to tell him what to do and my problem is most of the time I don't even know what I need or want. Emotionally I still want the connection but physically I am not excited about any of it these days. I guess they always say pregnancy changes your sex life but until it actually happens to you you don't know how or what exactly is going to change. Definitely want to try the spooning as I generally like that just for sleeping even, I bet that would work well for ML. Okay sorry, end rant. :)

lillpeach
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 22nd, 2007

Postby lillpeach » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:40 am

How do get the angle right when spooning? We can get him in, with a little effort, but he invariably pops back out when there's a bit more thrusting. I'm almost 34 weeks with #4, and we're not having very good luck this time around with the sitting positions or doggy (left me really sore last time), so we've been pretty stuck in the WOT rut lately, and we need some change!

Bear
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 26th, 1987

Postby Bear » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:04 am

Perhaps less spooning and more 'T-square'? Perhaps if DH were at more of a right angle to you (you and he forming more of a 'T' on the bed) things may line up a bit better.? $0.02
The same women who are ready to defend their men through thick and thin are...lucid about...the thickness of his head.
Love is not blind; that is the last thing it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.
-GK Chesterton

girliegirl511
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 15th, 2013

Postby girliegirl511 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:04 am

I just started my 3rd trimester this week! Sex has become slightly awkward for us, involves a lot of laughing and giggling. I thought my drive would die down after my 2nd trimester but I think it's just gotten higher! :shock: So that has made us find positions that work. Spooning with my knee up and DH helping to hold my leg works. If my hips aren't too sore facing each other with my leg over his hip is great. Still gives us some face to face contact. We tried this last week and it worked really well, basically WOT but in a sitting/reclining position for DH and wrap your legs around his waist. It gave me more support and didn't kill my hips afterwards. Doggy is ok for a quickie in the morning.

pinklemonade
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 18th, 2013

Postby pinklemonade » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:40 am

No longer pregnant but in the third tri we basically did one of 2 positions - WOT (but I would kind of hold myself up off of him a bit on my hands and knees so he could thrust from below - I had super bad pain in my hips and couldn't really control the motion without being in pain. It worked also because it kept him shallow as I couldn't tolerate him deep while pregnant. We also did a sort of spooning position - more like a T tho. WOT worked though up until the very end although the last 2 times we tried a few days before baby came we gave up due to being too uncomfortable (me). Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redsman
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 10th, 2006

Third trimester sex

Postby Redsman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:23 pm

My DW and I have gotten to the point in the past week where, because of her lack of comfort due to pregnancy (due Jan 12), she is finding it harder and harder to enjoy sex, or even to O. She has said that she has no problem with "taking care of me", whether it be by HJ, OS, or LM. I want intimacy and her sexual pleasure as well. I also know that up to a few weeks ago, we had sex a couple of times a week, and it was awesome (her words as well as mine). I would love to be able to please her, but am at a loss for positions. She loves cowgirl, but has said that her belly is getting to big for it to be comforable. Spooning has never felt right. And we don't have enough pillows for doggy style.

Advice appreciated. We both want to enjoy intimacy and sex, and it not just be "one-sided" until baby comes and after (up to 6 weeks).

"God is Good, All The Time."
"Every man dies, not every man really lives." -- William Wallace

SLS
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 28th, 2014

Re: Third trimester sex

Postby SLS » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Welcome to the boards Redsman! A couple of quick thoughts and questions. Rear entry/Doggy style would probably be the best position in this case. Is there a reason you can't get more pillows? Reverse cowgirl could also be a possibility. Spooning should be great for pregnancy but it is a bit tricky even without pregnancy. DW and I have had trouble getting spooning to work too but maybe you need to play with the angles a bit more. How have those positions worked before your DW's pregnancy?

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:02 pm

She could try laying or stting at the edge of the bed or furniture while you are standing or kneeling.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Redsman
King bed

Postby Redsman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:19 pm

SeekingChange wrote:She could try laying or stting at the edge of the bed or furniture while you are standing or kneeling.

Would she use pillows to prop herself up or provide support?

She has been having a hard time o'ing to piv with woman on top due to belly. Direct stimulation of the [clitoris] in the past has worked but getting a comfortable position for it now is hard. Any thoughts there? Get her to find a comfortable position and "figure it out"?

Thanks to all.

"God is Good, All The Time."
"Every man dies, not every man really lives." -- William Wallace

SeekingChange
Under the stars

Postby SeekingChange » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:15 pm

She could use pillows if she needs them. When I mentioned "sitting", I was thinking more of her sitting in a chair or on a couch. In this position, your hands might be free to stimulate her clitoris at the same time...or to support her legs.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Redsman
King bed

Postby Redsman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:32 pm

John143 wrote:Doggy style is good, but your DH needs to be careful about not going too deep. My DW and I enjoyed a spooning sex position where she would lie on her side and I would enter her from behind. Her belly was supported on the bed while we ML.

My wife and I have tried that, even before pregnancy, but could never get me 'inserted' quite right to the point where it was enjoyable. Maybe it was the angle or position of things...it was truly side by side. Should she (or I) be at a different position or angle other than "side by side"?

SeekingChange
Under the stars

Postby SeekingChange » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Have you tried this position?

My Story

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:43 pm

This site has some positions to try. I linked directly to a search for pregnancy for you.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”