Might be Pregnant

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
little_sparrow
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 2nd, 2013

Might be Pregnant

Postby little_sparrow » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:40 pm

So, long story short, my DH and I decided to ditch our birth control (condoms) a few weeks ago because we had both separately come to that decision. After the fact, I realized that the few nights on a row that we ML might have been around when I ovulated. I am supposed to have my period either today or tomorrow, and so I decided to take a home pregnancy test this morning. I was expecting it to come out negarive, but I was a little surprised when it came out with a faint positive!

Because it wasn't super clear, I decided to go to a walk-in women's health clinic connected to a local hospital to get a pregnancy test because I thought that it would be a blood test, not a urine test. Turns out that it was a urine test, and it came out negative. Not only that, but the workers there were really rude and judgmental (One of the ladies told me that I looked 12 and that her 14-year-old daughter looked older than me. Another acted like she thought I was lying about being married, and another automatically assumed that I've had multiple sexual partners and that I wasn't expecting my period yet.) In addition, they charged me for STD testing after they led me to believe that it was routine and free. Everything togethet cost $80 when it should have only cost a little less than $50.

Now I'm really hurt, confused, and I am still not sure if I'm pregnant. I've been having some symptoms for a little over a week (really mild cramps, exhaustion, sore nipples, frequent urination, above normal food cravings, and constantly being thirsty.) I'm really not sure what to think other than I need to either see if my period shows up or retest in a few days. All I know is I am really hurt from the things that were said at the clinic, and I would really like to know if I'm pregnant.

Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Re: Might be Pregnant

Postby Nvr2Late » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm sorry you had such rude treatment at the women's center. If it's a Planned Parenthood-type clinic, it's part of the world system and you know what that means. They aren't going to be always the most gracious - although I think the way you describe your visit is inexcusable :( Try to shake it off. Don't give those people space for rent inside your head.

This is one of those things that you will have to learn patience! I tried for many years to conceive and if you have decided to go that direction, you need to relax and trust God in it. I can't help thinking that personally, until I had my own home and a lot of important things sorted out with my DH, I would not want to bring a pregnancy or a baby into it, but it's not my decision to make. Babies are awesome...but they change everything forever on many levels. I hope you don't think I'm mean or judgmental by saying that to you. I do question the wisdom of your timing, that's all.

Your "symptoms" may be significant, and they may mean nothing. The mind is a powerful convincer. One thing is for sure, within about a week or two you will likely have your answer. I remember Leah telling you in the other thread that it might be a good idea for you to begin to look around for productive new things to do, and make new friends, etc. If you aren't staying busy enough, it's VERY easy to begin a pattern of obsessing over "am I or am I not" each month. You do not want to fall into that, trust me on that :D You have enough on your plate, it seems to me.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm

I have heard that even faint positives are positives.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

sd595
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 5th, 1996

Postby sd595 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you need to wait a certain number of days after when your period would have been? I thought I saw an ad on tv for a test that promised results a day or two earlier than normal, but I could be wrong.
Get out your bible and see what He says. Pray to Him right now and ask Him for His wisdom in the matter. He will not fail you if you put your faith and trust in Him.

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Just a note to add blood tests are more sensitive than urine tests and can detect pregnancy from about six to eight days after ovulation. Usually there needs to be a medical reason for the blood test I think. The best of the home tests are supposed to be accurate before you miss a period.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:10 pm

Doing it too early could give you a false negative, not a false positive. Take it again in a few days.

With my 3rd, I got a "negative" in the minutes you are supposed to wait, but a few hours later I looked at it again and there was a very faint positve line. I ended up taking three tests over a couple of days and I was pregnant.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:16 pm

SeekingChange wrote:I have heard that even faint positives are positives.

I believe you're correct. If there is NO hCG, there's nothing to react. These tests only react to the presence of that hormone, which is given off by the fertilized egg.

abcdef

Postby abcdef » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:17 pm

Do you have a Dollar Store near you? When I researched pregnancy tests a few years ago they were some of the more sensitive tests available and could detect level much lower than some of the expensive name brand tests. Besides they are only a dollar so you could test several times if it makes you feel better and you wouldn't be out much money. Also when testing early, it's best to test first thing in the morning as the hormones are more concentrated at that point (you may have done that, I wasn't sure from your post). Anyways, I hope either way you get the answer you are hoping for.

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Do another home test. Dollar store tests are good but first pee of the morning is a good idea. Chances are if you are pg, you'll get a stronger positive. If not abs you've missed your period, go to your OB and ask for a blood test.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

little_sparrow
King bed

Postby little_sparrow » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Nvr2Late, it wasn't a Planned Parenthood place; it was a clinic owned by the hospital. It's a doctor's office that just happens to take walk-in clients for pregnancy tests.

We're not actually trying to conceive; we're just no longer preventing pregnancy.

Also, things are sorted out between me and my DH; it's just still hard at times not to be seen as our own family by others. I'm sorry that you question the wisdom of our timing to respond to our conviction to no longer prevent pregnancy, but I understand that you were just stating what you would do. :D

As for the symptoms, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that they may mean nothing. First of all, I can assure you that they are not in my head (especially the cramps and extreme tiredness), and while I agree that they may not mean that I am pregnant, they do not mean nothing; if I am not pregnant, they could very well be pre-period symptoms that I get almost every month. They could also indicate some other health issue. :D

SeekingChange, I've heard that as well, but I also read that you can actually get a false positive. I really don't understand that, though.

As for when I took the test, I took it first thing in the morning, and the line began to show up before the 2 minutes were even over. The particular test is supposed to be able to detect results up to 5 days before your missed period.

I was actually in the parking lot of a dollar store in order to pick up a few tests, but I was feeling so discouraged by the statements and actions of the staff at the clinic that I felt like I couldn't handle going into to the store, buying the tests, and being looked at again as "a kid who is too young to be married." It's just too much for me to emotionally handle right now.

I just looked back at the picture of the test and the test itself, and there is definitely a line there. I wish that I could upload a picture of it!

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Take another pregnancy test to be sure. If it's positive, congrats!

False positives are rare. Usually takimg the test incorrectly, or an old or expired test. Usually though if it's positive, you're pregnant, the test looks for a certain hormone HcG.

Nvr2Late
On the floor

Postby Nvr2Late » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:21 pm

As for the symptoms, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment that they may mean nothing. First of all, I can assure you that they are not in my head (especially the cramps and extreme tiredness), and while I agree that they may not mean that I am pregnant, they do not mean nothing; if I am not pregnant, they could very well be pre-period symptoms that I get almost every month. They could also indicate some other health issue. :D

Ah, yes. I meant in the context of trying to conceive, the symptoms would mean "nothing" meaning "If I'm not pregnant then nothing else matters" which was my assessment back in the day. They could be anything else, indeed. I never said they were all in your head...although you need to know that women who desperately want to conceive CAN create those very symptoms. I did it. Plenty of documentation for it. But it doesn't sound like you're there yet, so if I assumed something incorrectly, forgive me. I may have been projecting my old experiences onto yours. It was a powerfully emotional time for me.

little_sparrow
King bed

Postby little_sparrow » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:23 pm

InGodsGrace wrote:Take another pregnancy test to be sure. If it's positive, congrats!

False positives are rare. Usually takimg the test incorrectly, or an old or expired test. Usually though if it's positive, you're pregnant, the test looks for a certain hormone HcG.

I can definitely rule out the test being expired, and I read the instructions over and over before I took it to insure that I didn't mess it up. I read that a very small level of HcG can be present even if you're not pregnant, so that's why I was unsure.

I'll probably take one tomorrow or on Sunday and see how it comes out.

Nvr2Late, I'm sorry, I took
Nvr2Late wrote:The mind is a powerful convincer.
to mean that it was in my head. I'm sure that it was an emotional time for you, and again, I was respectfully (not angrily) disagreeing what I thought that you had said. Forgive me if I came across any other way.

little_sparrow
King bed

Postby little_sparrow » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Ok, now I'm reading online that the test which I took (equate brand) is prone to giving false positives. Does anyone else have any experience with this brand?

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes I do...and it was ok. Get yourself a name brand if you're worried. It's worth the extra $5.
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Is access to money and issue for you? It really is worth it to spend extra money to see if you are pregnant. The amount of hormone in your urine builds up very quickly within a few days, and if you are a few days past your expected period you should definitely get a positive now. There is a small amount of people who never gets a positive from a home test even though they are pregnant, in which case they have to have a blood test. Test again, with a namebrand test, and if you still don't get it a period call your OB. Is access to women's healthcare an issue for you?

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at that clinic. It really is none of their business how old you are if you are legally married. You might even have a better experience if you go to a Planned Parenthood because they are typically nonjudgmental.
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:15 pm

HcG is a hormone released by the placenta. Although rare a woman can have HcG levels, but having HcG levels detectable could be cancerous. (Among other reasons) That's why it is rare for a false positive.

little_sparrow
King bed

Postby little_sparrow » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 pm

HisLadyBug, thanks for the kind words. I went ahead and went back to the store and purchased several different tests. I got the 3-pack of the Clearblue tests that tells you not only if you are pregnant but also estimates how far along you are, the 3-pack of the First Response Early Result, and 3 dollar store tests. It's probably overkill, but I figured if I don't need them now, I probably will eventually. I wanted to get several different brands just to be sure. I will probably test again tomorrow with at least one of the dollar store tests if I don't start my period before then. Depending on the results, I'll see where I go from there.

Going to my doctor wouldn't be an issue, and depending on my test results/whether or not I start my period, I might make an appointment. It just usually takes a long time to get in.

InGodsGrace, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure because on the box of one of the tests it says, "Because this test detects low levels if hCG, it is possible that this test may give positive results even if you are not pregnant." I think you cleared it up, though. Thanks.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 pm

"Too young to be married." That's a laugh. They make reality shows about teen mothers who are not married. Children can be borne at any age, but one has to be a certain age to marry?

Sorry for the sarcasm and mild rant.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:37 am

Little Sparrow,
This is a time of adventure and discovery for you. I wish you all the best.

Lord God, please bless Little Sparrow and her husband in this time of beginnings. Show them Your will, and give them wisdom along the way. Let there be joy for them both.

Job29Man
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”