Pre-term Labor

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Pre-term Labor

Postby HisLadybug » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:31 am

This is part prayer request but I wanted to hear feedback from other posters too.

I spent a few hours in the hospital last night with pre-term labor. I'm 30 weeks pregnant today. I have absolutely no history or risk factors which is why it was such a surprise. But I had contractions most of the day and had been feeling "off" and pretty tired and just generally bad the last few days. I was having contractions on the monitor every 5-6 minutes, so they hydrated me and gave me a shot which helped stop the contractions.

I believe it was a combination of getting overtired, spending July 4th out in the heat at the hottest time of the day, not drinking enough water, then having sex on Sunday night (with an already unhappy cervix) which is what set me off.

I am resting today, thankful we have grandparents to chase our 3yo, drinking lots of water. I'm on pelvic rest of course. My DH is already referring to this span of time as "the great sex drought of 2015." 8) Of course I will be taking care of him in other ways. He's really not complaining. We want this baby to stay IN.

Please pray for this little guy (who performed wonderfully on the fetal monitor last night) that he stays IN until full term. Also, if there's anyone who had pre-term labor and managed to carry to full term, do share if you want. I'm hoping that was my last trip to the hospital before the baby comes!
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Re: Pre-term Labor

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:38 am

I was in preterm labor and placed on bedrest at 20 weeks. Between bedrest and anti-contraction medication, I carried until 36 1/2 weeks--and since I was pregnant with twins, that was just fine.

I do want to comment on pelvic rest. Be aware that if taking care of your husband tends to arouse you, it may still be something of a problem for you. It was for me. Arousal triggered an increase in contractions. Before you try, you may want to be sure you are plenty hydrated. (Even with my ultra-sensitive uterus, sufficient hydration staved off the worst of the effects.) If it does cause trouble for you, this might be a time for you to let your husband have some naked pictures of you that he can use on his own if necessary.

Check out sidelines.org. It is a support site for women in high-risk pregnancies. Although much of what they have is beyond what your needs are, you may find some helpful resources or encouragement there--especially when it comes to dealing with a small child.

I'm praying for you. There's nothing quite like scary stuff during pregnancy.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

InGodsGrace
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1999

Postby InGodsGrace » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Wow, SP... Are we twins? I have the same twin story! And I was not able to help my hubby because I would get very aroused.

We ended up getting a nanny to help with oldest. Hubby had to work, and I couldn't do anything. I was on strict bedrest and had a Cerclage (stitch in the cervix). We have two healthy twin girls today they were born at 37 weeks.

REST, no SEX, lots of WATER. get help if you can.

poetess
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 2011

Postby poetess » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:29 pm

A very close friend had Braxton-Hicks contractions with her second child (is that what you had? not sure of the spelling) and was advised bed rest, which she was scrupulous about the first time. When she had it happen with the next baby (giving her two young children to deal with, and not just one), she talked to other women and found out it was extremely common, and that many of them did very limited bedrest and they were OK. She determined that as long as it was Braxton-Hicks and not true labor, she wasn't going to worry about it, and she didn't. She ended up having it happen with several of her children, with no ill effects whether she followed advice or didn't. Basically, I think other mothers of large families told her they couldn't put their lives on hold for pregnancy unless it was genuinely life-threatening to the baby, so they figured out what kind of issue they really faced and went from there. What she determined is that often the body "practices" for labor well ahead of time but it isn't true labor. Kinda like a baby bird stretching its wings before it's ready to leave the nest; it isn't trying to fly, but just stretching so that its wings will be ready when it is mature enough and strong enough to fly.

I am NOT saying don't listen to the doctor. I know nothing about your situation. I'm just saying that sometimes doctors are over-cautious and it might not be a big deal at all.
Marriage--what a wonderful image of Christ's love for His bride!

seeking perspective
Under the stars

Postby seeking perspective » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:36 pm

InGodsGrace wrote:Wow, SP... Are we twins?

Must be! :D

REST, no SEX, lots of WATER. get help if you can.

Yes, yes, yes! Even if you aren't placed on bedrest, these things can help you keep the baby where it needs to be. Rest more than you think you need to, never let yourself feel thirsty, avoid arousal, and stay off your feet--even if it means you do lots of convenience food and watch videos all the time to entertain your son.

Were your contractions leading to cervical changes? I was contracting every two minutes and was dilating, which was why there was such concern in my case.

And what medication were you shot with that stopped the contractions?
The Forgiven Wife

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 am

These were definitely not Braxton-Hicks. I had BH contractions with my first baby, and I had a few with this one. They really are a "practice" for labor and not something to be concerned about. They feel like a tightening in the lower abdomen, like a belt being tightened and loosened. What I felt on Monday was actual cramping in my abdomen and in my lower back - beginning labor signs.

In my case my cervix had not yet started to change - it was still long and high when they did an ultrasound. I was dialed to 1/2 cm but apparently that is common in women who have had a prior baby. The nurse said she couldn't feel the baby's head or my bag of waters, so at least the baby's head was not engaged.

The drug was Terbutaline, I believe. It worked almost instantly.

I rested most of yesterday and drank a TON of water. I have help again with my son today, and I'm going to rest. Thanks ladies!
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

seeking perspective
Under the stars

Postby seeking perspective » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:29 am

Terbutaline was what I took throughout my bedrest (every four hours, every day, even in the middle of the night--ugh). It worked amazingly well. I'm glad it worked well for you and that you didn't require mag sulfate.

It sounds like you're doing everything you need to be doing right now, so keep up the good work, Mama!
The Forgiven Wife

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:42 pm

I'm having them again after 2 days of taking it easy and drinking water. I think they have stopped for now, but it's disconcerting and making us live on pins and needles. Of course DH is teaching summer school right now but he's ready to drop everything if needed.
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

seeking perspective
Under the stars

Postby seeking perspective » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:52 pm

What does your doctor say?
The Forgiven Wife

HisLadybug

Postby HisLadybug » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:22 am

I got them to go away. It was so maddening because they would fade away and then reappear. I talked to the nurse and they advised rest and try to keep stress levels low. They aren't having me come in again...yet.
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:03 pm

I feel your pain. All of my pregnancies were that way. It's exhausting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”