Birth Control Options??

How do pregnancy and the first year after birth impact a couples sexuality?
girliegirl511
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 15th, 2013

Birth Control Options??

Postby girliegirl511 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:29 pm

I'm 4 weeks post partum, officially today. Period came back even though I'm breastfeeding :( We tried PIV last night, it was slow and no O for either of us. But it was more of an emotional connection rather than a physical release. We are willing to try condoms, but I just don't like them. Has anyone gone back in "the pill" while nursing? Did baby notice change in breastmilk? Change in production of milk?

I'm just scared of conceiving so soon after our first. Ovulation is painful and on both sides. My birth mother had 6 kids by the time she was 22, I was the 7th :shock: So just from that my chance of conceiving is pretty high!

And I'm HD, so I don't expect it to diminsh. We found a lot of ways to be close during the last month. :oops:

Our daughter is doing so well! Sleeping 6-7 hours at night, loves to sleep on Daddy(such a turn on!!!) and feeding on demand. She dropped a couple ounces post birth(normal) but has already gained a little over a pound from her birth weight. She's my chunky girl! :D

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Re: Birth Control Options??

Postby HisLadybug » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Congratulations!!!!

Hormonal birth control is not advised while breastfeeding. The estrogen will make your supply drop. The mini pill (progesterone) is considered safe but there is a chance it could affect supply. We used the pull out method because we did not want to use condoms. The diaphragm is also an option.

Sounds like you want to keep that good milk flowing!!
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

themrs
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 1st, 2002

Postby themrs » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:47 pm

I used the minipill while actively nursing but was not able to nurse for very long due to other things (not at all pill related). I didn't have any drop in milk supply while on the mini pill though. It'd be worth a try for you!

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:20 pm

I will ask my doctor tomorrow about the mini pill! And maybe try condoms as an extra protection during ovulation. Tried a condom last night, felt so weird. I think that was only the 2nd time using one!

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Can you do fertility awareness plus a barrier (perhaps a condom plus a diaphragm if you wanna be super careful; we just use a condom as it seems pretty safe) during your fertile time? It's nice cause you don't have to use protection all the time, just when you could get pregnant, and no hormones so it doesn't affect your milk supply.
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

happilymarriedkate
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1992

Postby happilymarriedkate » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 am

We used condoms during the "growing family" years. We had 3 children in 6 years, each (approximately) 3 years apart. I then had a tubal after my third. After we decided to try for #3 we were very happy to never need a condom again! In the scheme of things it was a short amount of time. In looking back now, I hardly have any memory of using condoms during that time. It was mostly quickies in those days, as I was either pregnant, nursing or taking care of a baby and/or toddler!
~HM Kate

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Postby George B. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:16 am

we recommend the combination of condoms and FAM. It's much safer. The main thing with condoms is making sure you find some that are comfortable and fit well (they have to unroll all the way to the base of the penis to be effective and should be snug but not too loose or too tight). There are a lot varieties out there that almost feel like you're wearing nothing and transmit heat/sensation very well. I would consider getting a sampler pack to test out variety. That's what we did.

As for FAM, you can find a lot of info about it online. I would highly recommend getting the TCYOF computer program, as it will help you keep track of multiple indicators and do it well. Breastfeeding can mask fertility or mess up when you might or might not be fertile, so if you're not getting good strong indicators of your cycle, I'd stick to the condoms.

Based on our own experience, I really think you can find something that will work that your DH will like, too. (we used a combo of FAM and condoms for years and it worked very well)
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:28 pm

I have an app I've used for about a year and love it! And I'm like clockwork. I have severe back cramps when ovulating, and this month I forgot about and was trying to figure out why. Looked at my app and it was a "duh" moment.

I started birth control way a couple of years before marriage just because of ovulation symptoms. I'm nauseous, heartburn like you'd would never believe(I think I could spew acid), cramps on both sides, back and leg cramps...and a little bit of depression. I had to cancel Drs appointment because baby was cranky and I didn't want to leave her with DH(haven't tried a bottle yet).
So birth control is for symptoms and ovulation.

MayDayGirl
Fell out of ...

Postby MayDayGirl » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:03 am

Keep in mind that it's possible some or all of those symptoms will go away now that you've had a baby. I went from debilitating cramps (couldn't even walk) and used HBC to control. After first child, cramps became very manageable with a single Tylenol. I've read that is quite common.

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:53 am

MayDay, that what I heard too!! But nope. I got my period 1 month post partum, and while breast feeding! And symptoms haven't lessened :( I'm learning my body is the exception to every rule. :?

BHF
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 22nd, 2011

Postby BHF » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:20 am

Actually I had bleeding 4 weeks after too, and thought it was my period, 5 days of it. I cant find the post here where somebody told me it is pretty normal, there is a term she used that eludes me.

My actual period returned when dd1 was 20 months old. This time around, no sign of it. Maybe you experiencing something similar to what happened to me.

Now we are still FAM. I Will probably get a diaphragm fitted later this year though.
"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy ...And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight" Phil 1:3,4,9

young+sillydaddy
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 13th, 2009

Birth Control Options??

Postby young+sillydaddy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Condoms work just fine, Natural family planning with something that takes your temperature didn't work during breastfeeding because my wife had uncommon wake up times etc. can't be of much more help since we kinda gave up on birth control a few months after each kid cause we like them so much

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Soooo...I went on the mini pill and no adverse side effects! I took it religiously, DH and I both had reminders set on our phones!! We used condoms during fertile weeks, which was so weird for us. And on New Years Day I took a pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE!!! My body just doesn't like any form of birth control!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

We are 5 weeks pregnant and excited! In complete shock but excited. We wanted to wait at least until DD 1st birthday but God had other plans. I have a feeling He's going to have a lot of "other plans"....

FoxluvsBunny
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 23rd, 2015

Postby FoxluvsBunny » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:10 pm

wow wow! so you got pregnant on the pill plus condoms? Congrats :) The Lord must have wonderful other plans for your family and great plans for this child. Prayers for a happy and healthy pregnancy!
<3, Bunny
Just a Bunny learning everyday what it means to Love and Live Harmoniously with a Fox

But if you tame me then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world.~TLP

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:11 pm

Speaking as a man I would not recommend the pull out method. I know from my own experience that a lot of semen (not talking preejaculate here) can drizzle out befor an actual ejaculation happens. Pulling out just prior to orgasm would also ruin the orgasm if it was me. In the heat of the moment it could also be hard to resist staying in.

We used condoms between pregnancies an up until my wife needed a hysterectomy. We are really glad to be done with condoms though.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

George B.
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 20th, 1996

Postby George B. » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:27 am

I agree with FoxluvsBunny--God must have incredible plans for your family if He made sure you got pregnant while using two forms of birth control. May God bless this surprise!
On sex: "Neither men nor women will be asked to throw away the weapon they have used victoriously. It is the beaten and the fugitives who throw away their swords. The conquerors sheathe theirs and retain them."-C.S. Lewis

dc9
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 21st, 2001

Postby dc9 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 am

I agree with be64; I can not recommend the pull out method for several reasons.
The temptation to stay in and not pull out at the time when being inside your DW feel the best can be to big. The human body (both male and female) is created to kind of automatically thrust the hips forward at the moment of orgasm and by that thrust the penis deep into the vagina to deposit his sperm as close to the cervix as possible to maximize the chance of conception. They are not made for him to pull out.

I have ejaculated "against my will" on my way out, on my way in, by surprise although I thought I had quite a bit left to my point of no return and also when I wasn't able to muster the will power to interrupt the increasingly pleasurable sensations of thrusting inside DW. We have had times when my DW was on top and I declared that I was close and it was time to stop, and she had said she was very close as well and just didn't care to get off of me. It just felt to good to her so she didn't care if she got pregnant at that moment.
I'm just saying that the required will power and control over yourself (or DW over herself if she has a very good time as well) at the point where our bodies' autopilots are programmed to take over the control, may not be available unless you pull out WELL IN TIME before that point where everything feels so good, and then it just don't feel all that good even though you finish in some way outside of your DW.

We have tried several different birth control options during our 15 years and all of them has some kind of draw back.
Pills killed DW's desire for sex completely.
Condoms made me less sensitive and it was hard for me to get to orgasm.
Pull out method was not safe because we both had a hard time to get me out of DW in time (not due to PE, but because it felt too good to).
FAM with condoms worked alright because I only had to use condoms for a very few times every month, the rest of the time I could be without. It also took a lot of work to check DW's body temp every morning and chart it and figure everything out.
Abstinence is definitely NOT an option.
DW now has a hormonal IUD since 6 years and that works best for us so far.

The best condom we used was a different kind. It was not elastic and "rubbery" as regular ones. It was just like very thin plastic wrap. I think the name was Pasante Unique... They were so thin (a lot thinner than regular condoms) that they didn't take away nearly as much of my sensitivity as the regular condoms do and they also transfer the heat from the vagina as well, so I didn't feel them very much at all. They were very strong but very different to put on and they looked different as well. Well worth a try!

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

happilymarriedkate
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 9th, 1992

Postby happilymarriedkate » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:58 am

Congratulations! Sooo exciting!!
~HM Kate

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:42 am

I'll add that the condoms I liked best were Naturalamb condoms. They felt very good and natural.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

girliegirl511
Queen bed

Postby girliegirl511 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:45 am

We will definitely try those suggestions next time! As far as we can remember condoms always fit properly and we were careful about DH coming near me before a condom. But who knows, I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning! Haha
I was researching last night and it's less that 1% conception rate with 2 forms of birth control! :lol: I'm always in that less than category for anything medically.
It is a good lesson in God's sovereignty for my stepsons. The youngest's response was, "Dad don't you know about condoms!?!!" LOL I think it's a good reminder for all of us that God will work in His timing not ours. A friend who is a OB nurse couldn't believe it either when I shared the news this morning. She suggested my cycle might be out of sync but I'm already having noticeable symptoms.
DH and I may just have to pray about this birth control issue. I always wanted a big family and with DH age this might be what God wants us to do...But for now we are enjoying not having to use any form of birth control!!!! :D

Return to “Pregnancy and Postpartum”