Progesterone cream and skin to skin contact with hubby?

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
HeIsMine
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 20th, 2017

Progesterone cream and skin to skin contact with hubby?

Postby HeIsMine » Tue May 16, 2017 7:15 am

I'm in my mid-30's and perimenopausal. I have been using progesterone cream transdermally for several years. My doctor cautioned me to be careful to wash my hands after using the cream, and not touch other surfaces that others might touch if I have residual cream on my hands. He said that having skin to skin transfer of the cream to children or adult males can be detrimental. He had a case of a grandmother using hormone cream who daily took care of her young grandson. The boy started developing breasts due to the residual cream on her hands.

My doctor even went so far as to suggest using gloves to apply the cream (which I have tried and found very laborious). He said to use it in areas that remain under my clothes where my skin would not be exposed to others (especially because I was caring for young children at the time).

Here is my question, I am getting married in a few days, and wondering if there are precautions I need to take when having skin to skin contact with my husband? I have to rotate areas of my body I apply the cream so my receptors don't get overloaded in one location. I use a large amount and apply it two times a day. Using it right before bed is helpful for my sleep. But I also enjoy sleeping naked. My periods are so close together now, I am using progesterone more often than not. I don't want it to limit our closeness, but I also don't want it to create a hormone imbalance in him.

Info? Ideas? Experience? Thanks!
Last edited by HeIsMine on Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Re: Progesterone cream and skin to skin contact with hubby?

Postby ledgemoor » Tue May 16, 2017 1:07 pm

My DW is on biestrogen, testestosterone, and progesterone cream. She leaves it on an hour before showering or washing the application area. She doesn't wear clothes until after she showers or washes.

I think your doctor is going overboard. I certainly wouldn't wear gloves when applying it. Just rub what's on your hands elsewhere, then wash your hands. DW waits the hour to wash her hands so as to absorb that too. She uses just one hand, leaving one available to hold my hand :-). I've gotten it on me several times. I just wash with soap and water right away. It has no effect on me.

And in your case it is just progesterone. He isn't going to grow boobs or have PMS if he does get a little on him. It might actually be good for him. I take 6 - 8 mg per day in the form of cream. If you're worried, it wouldn't cost much to order an online progesterone test now and do another after you've been married a while. You don't need one now, but it would be good for reference.

I got mine here: http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... lood-Tests We got our requisition the same day we ordered it. Then just carry it to any LabCorp office.

Congratulatuions BTW.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

HeIsMine
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 20th, 2017

Postby HeIsMine » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 am

Thank you! Hearing from your experience is very helpful, and puts me at ease. I'm sure the grandmother my doctor told me about was supplementing other hormones besides progesterone in order for the child to begin breasr development. Considering the fact that I have cried nearly non-stop for the last few days, I'm wondering if I may need to start other biodentical hormones to help me be more balanced. Or maybe it's wedding stress and everything in my life changing at once! :shock: :D Thanks for the resource for hormone testing. I have done saliva testing in the past which reveals how much hormone is actually available to the body to use. But it is not well accepted by the medical establishment.

I didn't realize a small amount of progesterone can be benificial for men. Do you have any articles or resources you can recommend about hormone balance in men and bioidentical supplementation? I have read so much about this for women, but feel uneducated about these topics for men.

Again, thanks for your the info and help!

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Thu May 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Hi--

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Seeing a good bHRT doctor wouldn't hurt. Here is the symptom chart that everyone uses.
http://procompounding.com/wp-content/up ... KEY-je.pdf
You can see there is a lot of things that can go awry that will affect mood. Low testosterone and estrogen can cause depression. Are you depressed, or just weepy?

DW has done saliva testing too. Her doctor did that in conjunction with blood testing at first, but later dropped the saliva. He said it didn't tell him anything that blood tests don't, and saliva testing is expensive not to mention gross :lol:.

Dr. John Lee is the progesterone guy. He is gone now, but we went to one of his lectures before he died. Here is one specific to men:
https://www.amazon.com/Hormone-Balance- ... .+john+lee
But chances are the library has some of his books for women, and that could be useful too.

Unfortunately, progesterone is not high on the radar of most male hormone doctors. A few other TMB men and I have been experimenting with it. Here is the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67701
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Return to “Menopause”