DD's periods are too heavy

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

DD's periods are too heavy

Postby robin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:11 am

I know this has nothing to do with menopause, but it's period related so I am hoping for some good links or some tips here.

DD, 18, seems to have developed the family curse for heavy, uncomfortable periods. When she goes to give blood (she's a universal donor) if it's right after her period she will actually be anemic.

She has the heavy, mind numbing cramps, the hard time sleeping, the bloating, all the candy that goes with it, but the worst, and I am assuming there are few men here to squick out, but if there are, consider this your red x warning, she also has a heavy, chunky flow.

Does anyone know of any herbal supplements that might lighten up that uterine lining? I hate to have to resort to birth control pills. I just hate to.

We have TCOYF, but I haven't checked it yet for a possible solution.

I've also seen "Menstrual Ease" tea at our health food store, does that sound like a good idea?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

Gemma
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 14th, 1981

Postby Gemma » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 am

Watching. I also have an 18yo who deals with this.
Gemma~ refuser for 25yrs, awakened since Dec 2006!
passionwithinmarriage.blogspot.com

There'll be no locks or bolts between us, Mary Kate... except those in your own mercenary little heart! (Thornton in The Quiet Man)

lvmyman
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 3rd, 1997

Postby lvmyman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:30 am

Ugh...I know just how she feels. I dealt with this issue for years. However, I never had open communication with my Mom, so nothing ever got done with it until I was finally trying to have children and seeing a Doctor regularly.

Has she seen an GYN? One of the options that i was given (after having FINALLY sought out some help...of course, i got pregnant before I could do this....) was having a D&C to just clear out the lining. It wouldn't be a long-term fix, but it may help relieve some discomfort?

My issue with heavy, nasty periods didn't go away with having kids, so I finally had to have a procedure done (not a D&C), now that I'm in my 30's and done with child-bearing. I won't give you the details unless you need it...I don't want to hijack the thread too much. :D

I know raspberry leaf tea is good for uterine health...you might look into that for her. I really hope you can find some relief for her. I'm glad she is able to talk to you about it.

SOS
King bed

Postby SOS » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 am

I used to take some stuff called EstroPause---it helped a bunch with getting things started and other symptoms, but I don't know with someone that young whether it's a good idea or not---any kind of vitamin or supplement I've taken by Irwin Naturals has been excellent---I've taken their Living Green Multivitamins for women, Steel Libido, and I think that's about it, I wonder if they might have something---

sorry that's about all I have to offer, and don't have a teenage girl---

I wonder if there's anyone around you who does alternative and traditional medicine? I'm starting to notice there are more practitioners of this, it makes me feel good because I have benefitted and like both---and sometimes one has worked better than the other---

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:03 am

My preteen has all the signs that she will start having periods soon, so this topic is of interest to me.
All the women in my family have the same issue as your daughter, but once we have children, for some reason the severe cramps and heavy bleeding improve dramatically.
I would like to figure out a way to help DD when it becomes a issue for her.

graceisgood
Twin size

Postby graceisgood » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 am

Do your own research into wild yam as a natural form of progesterone. I was told by my doctor that it is what helps the lining of the uterus shed properly. She might be estrogen dominate which can be a factor in such an inbalance. A Dr. John Lee (I hope I remember his name correct) has written books about the balance of hormones for women and how our world bombards us with too much estrogen in our environment. His works might help point you in the direction for figuring this out.

I have been dealing with this for nearly 30 years, had 4 kids, still deal with it, but of course it changes as I change. Never found a "cure" for me, but the time I used progesterone creme was the closest I personally got to a "solution". I used BCP (the first 4 years of M, had no ideas of the risks all I knew was all the mature "christian" ladies told me it was the wisest thing to do and I just complied) and that really messed me up, it took away my natural lubrication, I have been off BCP for 16 or more years and that never really came back, I am like a post menapausal woman in that regard, so I applaud you for trying a natural route before taking a chance with BCP cause the damage from them can be permanent from my experience, but she may decide at a later date that the possible side effects of BCP are worth the change to her cycle.

I pray that you are able to find what her body needs in this regard.

Grace

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 am

A family friend had similar issues and started eating some kind of yam for it. Don't remember the results.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

HisLadybug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 11th, 2006

Postby HisLadybug » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 am

I had very very similar issues as an older teen, Robin, and natural progesterone cream was a lifesaver for me. It helped a lot with the cramping although maybe not as much with the heavy flow issue. I did experience less problems once I hit my 20s, and then when I went on the Nuva Ring at 22 things got even better. I totally feel for her, though, I missed days of school in high school because I was curled up on the heating bad in great pain. :( I also took a prescribed heavy pain killer for awhile too because regular ibprofen wasn't cutting it.
Sweet like candy to my soul
Sweet you rock and sweet you roll
lost for you
I'm so lost for you
-Dave Matthews band

Sarah1
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 16th, 2005

Postby Sarah1 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:06 am

I don't really have a suggestion for substitutes, but just adding in a note that this was the first symptom I had for what led up to endometriosis. I truly wish that I had been put on BC or other effective treatment earlier (I went for 10 years tolerating this). I could have been so much happier for that week every month. I have a high tolerance for pain and never said much. :roll:

Seekryt
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 1999

Postby Seekryt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:13 am

Has she been checked for fibroids, Robin?
Always know where your towel is.

hisfountain

Postby hisfountain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Changing my diet to cut out all sugar and most everything processed really helped me. I used to go through a pack of 14 overnight pads a day!

Then discovering the Diva Cup a couple of years ago further helped improve things.

It is still probably heavier than most women, but I don't pass huge clots like I once did, and the heaviness usually only lasts for a day or two instead of 5.

Seekryt
On the floor

Postby Seekryt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:56 pm

hisfountain wrote: I used to go through a pack of 14 overnight pads a day!

:shock:

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Seekryt wrote:
hisfountain wrote: I used to go through a pack of 14 overnight pads a day!

:shock:

Oh, me too!
I had 7 miserable years between having my first period and having my first baby.
I remember the embarrassment of leaking through my school uniform many times. And almost passing out because of the blood loss.
I really hope DD has an easier time.

sweetangel

Postby sweetangel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:03 pm

I know the name of this seems like it wont suit her but it is for all age groups as long as you have a period.

It is called 30 plus it is from Australian if you like I can upload a copy of the box. It is really good. I had periods that looked like pizza on a pad. :oops: The bad cramps also leaking and just plain horrid. I hated the thought of it.

Since I have been taking these (before and after kids) my periods changed to being more managable. My experience before kids was I stoped experiencing PMS and also the cramping totally stoped and my flow was a lot lighter. I have brought box after box of this stuff. LOVE IT.

catwoman
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 30th, 1986

Postby catwoman » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 pm

When I was younger I had a lot of success taking B vitamins for cramping and such. Now that I'm older I've used vita E, which seems to help with the clots.

sweetangel

Postby sweetangel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:09 pm

naturegirl wrote:I don't think I'd advise the use of herbs or alternative sources of hormones to a young girl. I'd be concerned about messing with her fertility. It would be wise to make an appointment and discuss alternative treatments with a doctor.

Her symptoms sound a lot like endometriosis. Has she seen a gyn? Left untreated, the fallopian tubes can become so damaged that future pregnancies would be impossible.

You can only tell that she has endo (which I had) by ultrasound and than a keyhole surgery. My doctor said that it wouldn't be cured. Well I prayed and I took my natural herbs and it worked. I am totally healed never had enougher issue with it.

Also I was told I was infertile. Well I have had 5 kids in 6 yrs. To me that screams half the time doctors are a bit unsure when it comes to this endo thing.

I personally can swear by 30 plus. Never had one issue with pregnancy. I have never taken BCP as I dont like the risks associated for my family as there is history of the pill causing massive hormonal issues. My mum nearly offed herself when on the pill she couldn't handle the hormons.

robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:18 pm

Wow, it's sad to see so many fellow sufferers. But I do see some good ideas here.

She hasn't seen a gynecologist yet. There are only two in our town and their first remedy is birth control, their second a d&c. Both are unappealing. The BC could mess her system up and cause problems with future fertility. The second could scar her uterine lining and end any hope of future fertility.

I hadn't thought of things like fibroids, or endo and that's a bit worrying. I think I'll get us on the waiting list for a doc out of town. I'll have to ask around and see who has a really good reputation.

I take progesterone for HRT. I'll do some research regarding how effective it might be for this issue.

I have read Dr. Lee's book. But it's been YEARS.

We've been pretty careful about processed foods and other environmental factors. But come to think of it, I know she's been drinking chocolate soy milk on her breaks a lot lately. I know too much soy can be bad. That was the whole reason I moved everyone off the soy milk years ago. The wild yam is the same concept as the progesterone I am assuming. Increasing your phyto-estrogens. I'll have to do some research.

I can't believe I forgot to order her a Diva cup! I have meaning to. I'll have to get that done.

She so young to have to go on permanent medication for something like this. Especially if it's a genetic issue. If it is then I suppose she has PCOS, endo, multiple miscarriages and a young hysterectomy to look forward to. Ugh. I really hope she isn't headed down that road. I had two d&c's and two uterine ablations to try to cure this and ended up with a hysterectomy at 23.

Oh and SweetAngel, please send me the scan of the box of the stuff you are taking, maybe I can match ingredients. My email link should be at the bottom next to signature.

I just feel so bad for her. When it's her time of the month she is pale as a ghost with dark circles under her eyes and obviously miserable. Then to have her tell me it's getting worse and she's getting concerned.

Thanks everyone, for the input, the ideas and the commiseration.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

Seekryt
On the floor

Postby Seekryt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 am

Just as a side note... is she taking extra iron supplementation during her period? It might make it more bearable... it would probably seem weird to her to be taking, say, maternity vitamins, but yowza - I know that after my miscarriage, I was pretty out of it, and bleeding heavily. Tink reminded me that I was probably iron deficient, and once I started upping the iron, the bleeding slowed considerably.

GrantUsGrace
Queen bed

Re: DD's periods are too heavy

Postby GrantUsGrace » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:52 am

robin wrote:I hate to have to resort to birth control pills. I just hate to.

Good call. DW took them as a teenager for her periods, and they removed an important reason for staying chaste. When a young man pressured her for sex, she felt she had no good reason to say no. ::bh
Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs. -- Jonah 2:8

hisfountain

Postby hisfountain » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Robin, I would definitely get her to stop all soy products at least for awhile and see if that helps. Soy is no friend of mine.

She's not a vegetarian, is she? I've learned that I need animal protein and plenty of it...including eggs, poultry, and especially red meat.

I don't buy the commercial stuff as it is raised with hormones, but we have farm fresh meat.

One thought is you may want to take her to a nutritionist. My dr. finally sent me to one and he really helped.

Return to “Menopause”