DD's periods are too heavy

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
sweetangel

Re: DD's periods are too heavy

Postby sweetangel » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:22 pm

GrantUsGrace wrote:
robin wrote:I hate to have to resort to birth control pills. I just hate to.

Good call. DW took them as a teenager for her periods, and they removed an important reason for staying chaste. When a young man pressured her for sex, she felt she had no good reason to say no. ::bh

Sorry but that has nothing to do with BC pill. Your wife made the choice not because of that pill

Achinoam
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 27th, 2003

Postby Achinoam » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:35 pm

I had a roommate who had heavy AFs. Her doc recommended her an iron supplement. While it does have the annoying side effect of giving you constipation (which can be helped with a good diet), it did relieve the heaviness of her flow somewhat, though.

Heavy flow causes anemia, and anemia causes further even more heavy flow, which in turn makes you more anemic; it is a vicious circle. :(
Living Loving Learning

robin
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 31st, 1989

Postby robin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:36 am

Actually I put her on a prenatal vitamin when she started menstruating. I had read somewhere that it can take years for the folic acid to camp out in her ovaries and on a side note they do great things for your hair and nails. 200% of your daily iron is included, so I know she's getting enough iron, it's just not always absorbing it seems.
Biting is excellent! It's like kissing only there's a winner! - Idris

Seekryt
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 1999

Postby Seekryt » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:41 am

Extra vitamin C would help with absorption...
Always know where your towel is.

robin
Under the stars

Postby robin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Seekryt wrote:Extra vitamin C would help with absorption...

Extra on top of what's already in the prenatal?

robin
Under the stars

Postby robin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm

hisfountain wrote:Robin, I would definitely get her to stop all soy products at least for awhile and see if that helps. Soy is no friend of mine.

She's not a vegetarian, is she? I've learned that I need animal protein and plenty of it...including eggs, poultry, and especially red meat.

Oh heavens no! We are from Idaho! Idaho doesn't "make" vegetarians! We are pure carnivore all the way.

Meat and potatoes were invented grow here.

Seekryt
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 4th, 1999

Postby Seekryt » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:22 am

robin wrote:

Oh, yeah, for sure. I take about 1000mg/day, and the prenatals usually have less than 100mg. I was taking 1500mg/day for a little while there, because I was taking so much extra iron.

Also, calcium impedes the absorption of iron, so she should avoid dairy immediately before and after. For instance, if she takes her vitamin in the AM, and also has cereal and milk, that will affect absorption.
Always know where your towel is.

robin
Under the stars

Postby robin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:01 am

Seekryt wrote:
robin wrote:

Oh, yeah, for sure. I take about 1000mg/day, and the prenatals usually have less than 100mg. I was taking 1500mg/day for a little while there, because I was taking so much extra iron.

Also, calcium impedes the absorption of iron, so she should avoid dairy immediately before and after. For instance, if she takes her vitamin in the AM, and also has cereal and milk, that will affect absorption.

Good to know! I'll add vitamin C to the list. Thanks for the tip!

silly_girl
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 10th, 2009

Postby silly_girl » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:21 pm

I can identify with your daughter. My periods used to be extremely heavy and painful and I was on the pill for about 10 years which helped considerably with the cramps and made them lighter. I went off the pill last Sept. (hoping to start trying to get pregnant 3 months after I went off of it, but couldn't because I was diagnosed with Hodgekin's at that time.) Anyways, my chiropractor, who is a strong advicator of holistic health, had me start chasteberry (go here for more info: http://pms.about.com/od/pms/f/087_chasteberry.htm ). The result, my period got lighter and I almost no cramps at all. One downside for me though is that my breasts got extremely sore and tender the week before my period, which I had rarely experienced while I was on the pill. My chriopractor is also an acupuncturist and has treated me for menstral cramps in the past. I hope that this helps.
The sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, and the voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the Lord, saying,
“Give thanks to the Lord Almighty,
for the Lord is good;
his love endures forever.”

Jer. 33:11

robin
Under the stars

Postby robin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks. We resorted to a combination of menstrual tea, prenatal vitamins and lots and lots of hydration.

silly_girl
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 10th, 2009

Postby silly_girl » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:47 pm

:)

Something that I forgot to mention earlier was to avoid caffiene and yeast a few days before and during the first few days of her period. That means staying away from freshly baked bread (if the bread has been frozen it'll be ok because freezing it kills the enzyme or something that causes the cramps), coffee, chocolate, alcohol, etc.
The sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, and the voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the Lord, saying,
“Give thanks to the Lord Almighty,
for the Lord is good;
his love endures forever.”

Jer. 33:11

littledinobug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 2004

Postby littledinobug » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:40 am

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea helps.

As well as Aleve for the cramps. I was in the same boat but mom put me on HBC when I hit 15. She got sick of me missing school for 2 days a month because I was too busy barfing and not being able to move 3 ft without soaking through an over night pad. *looks at her 2 kids* Fertility not impacted. Now instead of 7 heavy days I get 2 light, 1 heavy, 2 light for my periods after having kids. Tell her it SHOULD get better after having kids. I have no idea WHY or HOW it gets better, but it really does. My mamma told me that because I had such awful periods, I had easy births because my uterus was all fit and toned and in shape like a body builder or whatever. You know no pain no gain? My kids pretty much fell out of me...That's probably an old wives tail though ;)
SAHM to two kids and wife to This guy here

robin
Under the stars

Postby robin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 pm

The tea that she drinks has raspberry leaves in it along with some other herbals.

Mine got worse after having kids. So did my moms. I'm hoping hers aren't going to be like that. Mine were also totally unaffected by birth control pills. For that matter birth control pills were ineffective in preventing pregnancy as well. Just a big fat fail on all counts. <shrug>

littledinobug
Blanket on a secluded beach!
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 2004

Postby littledinobug » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 pm

robin wrote:The tea that she drinks has raspberry leaves in it along with some other herbals.

Mine got worse after having kids. So did my moms. I'm hoping hers aren't going to be like that. Mine were also totally unaffected by birth control pills. For that matter birth control pills were ineffective in preventing pregnancy as well. Just a big fat fail on all counts. <shrug>

Meh. BCP and Condoms didn't stop me from concieving my DD..so don't feel bad.
SAHM to two kids and wife to This guy here

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Robin:

Wouldn't bHRT be a possible solution for this? I realize it is used primarily for postmenopausal problems, but couldn't it work for this too? Herbs, wild yams, birth control pills, etc all are taken to influence hormone levels, so why not do it right -- measure her hormone levels, and compensate if there is a problem?
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

robin
Under the stars

Postby robin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:00 am

ledgemoor wrote:Hi Robin:

Wouldn't bHRT be a possible solution for this? I realize it is used primarily for postmenopausal problems, but couldn't it work for this too? Herbs, wild yams, birth control pills, etc all are taken to influence hormone levels, so why not do it right -- measure her hormone levels, and compensate if there is a problem?

We probably would if it ever got to the point that the tea she takes wasn't helping anymore. I suspect a little progesterone would go a long way towards helping her.

Return to “Menopause”