Menopause killed my libido

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
HisEnchantedCardinal
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 12th, 1996

Re: Menopause killed my libido

Postby HisEnchantedCardinal » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 am

Shulammite woman wrote:There's no underlying medical condition. I just had my annual checkup last month. Thyroid was checked, bloodwork was good. I'm definitely not sitting around all day. I'm most likely just being extra-sensitive about these changes because I've never had to worry about weight before. Some days I think I'm just being stubborn about accepting what changes come with this phase of life. You don't see many women over 50 with a flat stomach, I'm probably fighting a losing battle. And I hate the thought of having to replace a bunch of things in my wardrobe with a size bigger.

Honestly, the weight thing is more of a side thing. It would fade to the background if I could have my sex drive back.

I'm new here but I hope it's okay if I jump right in. I'm not menopausal, but due to some very very stressful times in the last year and a half I encountered a complete lack of any drive and feeling totally numb at times, which was very depressing. My adrenals became completely depleted from the stress. I started taking an adrenal supplement called Michael's Adrenal Xtra Energy Support. I started to feel better and the symptoms of adrenal fatigue started to disappear. I still had problems with desire/numbness though. I found a homeopathic supplement called Liddel's Vital Female Sexual Energy. It's a spray that I take 3 times a day under the tongue. This stuff gives me energy, has made my pms symptoms better, has greatly increased my libido and the total numb feeling is gone.

I also recently started researching Iodine and it's role in healing the body and found that most of us are deficient. I've read many stories of people who had their thyroid checked and the levels came back within the "normal" range, but that normal range is set way too low, and these people experienced many positive results when they began supplementing with iodine. I purchased Lugol's Iodine from Amazon and began dosing my husband and myself to fight off the cold/flu that our children had and the sickness never took hold in us. I've found that I have even more energy (no longer feel the need for an afternoon nap) and even more increased libido. I believe that these supplements are nourishing my adrenal glands and thyroid (and many other organs - many organs in your body needs iodine, not just the thyroid) and that in turn allows my body to work the way God intended.

When a woman goes through menopause and her ovaries stop producing the hormones she needs the adrenals and thyroid are supposed to take over and begin producing more and keep the hormones balanced. But so many of us have depleted adrenals and we are not taking in the daily needed iodine and other minerals to support the thyroid fully.

I just wanted to encourage you to do some research about this. You can google iodine and menopuase, iodine and libido, adrenals and menopause, etc. I can't post any links because I'm so new, but I found an article titled Menopause by Lawrence Wilson, MD that discusses the role of the adrenals and the thyroid during menopause. Curezone and earthclinic have many stories of successful iodine supplementation and the reviews of Lugol's on Amazon are very positive as well.

I hope this helps and I'm sorry you are going through this.

purple heather
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 22nd, 1987

Postby purple heather » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm

I wanted to get back to this thread to report about the effects on my body after starting to take Remifemin.
My impression is that it helps. I started feeling better, back to my old self about 10 days after starting to take it.

I feel less "out of place" and my libido is better. I also feel I can concentrate better.
All of this is great and I´m very thankful.
Since it doesnt`t do any harm and isn`t expensive I would recommend it to you to at least give it a try.

spiritfire777
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1990

Postby spiritfire777 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 pm

purple heather wrote:I wanted to get back to this thread to report about the effects on my body after starting to take Remifemin.
My impression is that it helps. I started feeling better, back to my old self about 10 days after starting to take it.

So glad to hear that..

( edited to comply with post below.. thanks for the reminder.. :)
Last edited by spiritfire777 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Reminder to all. Please keep quotes down to the minimum necessary to get your point across.
For example ... it is never necessary to quote the previous post just to reply to it, or to say "I agree" or "Attaboy."
Also, if you wish to respond to someone several posts ago, please just quote a phrase or sentence, or the shortest piece of their post absolutely necessary to get your meaning across.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

laterinlife
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 12th, 1987

Postby laterinlife » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:31 am

betsy1 wrote: SO can anyone tell me bHRT helped them?

It has helped me. I started them about a year ago.....about the time you wrote this post. :-) I am doing pellet insertion every 4 or 5 months and taking progesterone nightly.

I am not one to go to doctors, or take medications. I had never discussed hormone replacement with a doctor or anybody else. So I really never even considered it. I always had a pretty high sex drive, but I realized that once I got through menopause, it was pretty much totally gone. I mourned the loss of my sex drive....but figured that was just the way it was and I was stuck with it.

I saw a doctor on a local morning program discussing the bio-identicals. The low (or rather no) sex drive wasn't actually what got me into his office. I had extreme fatigue. I had trouble wanting to get out of bed in the morning. When I got up, it would be to move to the couch and doze until 11am or noon. I couldn't get started doing anything until 1pm or so. I was really down on myself, thinking it was a major character flaw that I was so lazy.

So, one year after starting hormones.....energy levels are up and sex drive is way up (along with my body's ability to produce lubrication). Unfortunately, the weight gain that came on with menopause hasn't gone away. If I had really understood about hormone replacement 12 years ago, I would have been seeking treatment far sooner than I did.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

ecnlovescln
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 21st, 1980

Postby ecnlovescln » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:21 pm

This was a depressing thread to read. When I approached my DW about us getting back to having sexual intimacy, she informed me she had lost all interest in it because of menopause. Being that she was the LD spouse to begin with, this was not welcome news. Unsure where this unwelcome road leads, but since I have re-discovered just how much I love her and how blessed I am to have her, I know God will see us through this crisis as well.

My heart ::bh goes out to all of you ladies suffering through this loss of libido. I offer up prayers of comfort and healing for you.
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her. Ephesians 5:25 NKJV

MyWifesMan
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 25th, 1989

Postby MyWifesMan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am

In researching Menopause issues, I came across info on Maca supplements. Many women commenting on this one (http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Maca-500mg-Capsules/dp/B001DAYJOY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) have stated it helped their energy levels, menopause symptoms and that it gave them a noticeable to very significant increase in libido. And, weirdly, more than a few reported it made their boobs fuller/bigger. Who knows, might be worth a try, especially for libido?

spiritfire777
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1990

Postby spiritfire777 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:34 pm

I want to update after reading the above post.. YES.. I did take the wally world version of reminfen and estroven... after a year I began to have really bad side effects ( Dark black goopy blood clots, and major vericrose vein pain ) I switch to Maca Root and I have never felt better.. been taking it now for a long while... it works great for me with out side effects.. :)

MyWifesMan
Hammock

Postby MyWifesMan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:53 pm

I want to update after reading the above post.. YES.. I did take the wally world version of reminfen and estroven... after a year I began to have really bad side effects ( Dark black goopy blood clots, and major vericrose vein pain ) I switch to Maca Root and I have never felt better.. been taking it now for a long while... it works great for me with out side effects.. :)

Spirit, what is your dosage mg amount/times per day?

How long did it take for you to begin seeing positive results?

Casey
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 19th, 1993

Postby Casey » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:22 am

I hope I'm not resurrecting a post that is too old, but I read this with some interest as my wife thought she was starting to go through early phases or pre-menopause. Not sure yet however.

OP, I hope that your situation is improving? I have been thinking about you and your story and wanted to encourage you somehow. I know as a husband I would hate to have my wife dealing with anything that she wasn't fully sharing, I hope you don't feel that he would be disappointed somehow. How are things going at this point?

Shulammite woman
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 12th, 1980

Postby Shulammite woman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm sorry to report that there has been no improvement. In fact, it's gotten worse since I last posted 2 years ago. In addition to the flat-lined libido and other changes already chronicled in this thread, I now no longer experience any type of physical arousal, there's zero vaginal lubrication (thank goodness for coconut oil), orgasm comes only from a vibrator. Virtually all enjoyment and fun for myself from sex is gone. After many conversations with both primary and gyn doctor, I've given up hope of sex-life resurrection.

I do my best to remain an enthusiastic partner for my husband, whom I dearly love. We average about 2X a week for lovemaking. But this remains a sad cloud over my life. It's also impacting my relationship with God. It's wrong and selfish, I know, but I resent this part of the aging process. From time to time, I find myself shaking my fist at God over it. I so miss the way things used to be. ::bh
SW, who is challenged by this statement: Your husband's sex life with you is the only legitimate one he has; what are YOU doing to make it the best it can be?

Casey
Double

Postby Casey » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 pm

So sorry to hear your report - I know what you mean about aging, it's truly not right and It can be more of a challenge than I thought it would be emotionally. It's like aging is something that only happened to other people, until you start to see it yourself!

I admire you for being willing for your husband and it shows how you love him which is very sweet of you. I don't know him but know that I would want to help my wife in every way possible, so hopefully you have shared with him. Some of dealing with the situation you're in now surely must be going through it together - praying for you when I think of your situation.

purple heather
Twin size

Postby purple heather » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:48 am

After a couple of years I`m getting back to this and have to say the following:

Remifemin didn`t really help, as I thought in the beginning. Things got worse now. I`m 55 years old and I realize that what I thought was menopause already wasn`t quite it.
I`m probably in menopause right now. Over the last few weeks I´ve experienced a lot of hot flashes and a change of "moods", like feeling slightly depressed. I only realized talking to my gyn doctor yesterday these feelings were probably not just the situation I´m in right now at home with my mom living with us, but might as well be caused by menopause.
That said I have to add that I only talked to the doc because my lack of libido and the fact that I´m almost unable to have an orgasm are really bothering me.

We talked about the possibility to take hormones and even though I have a slightly higher risk to get breast cancer I decided to start on a hormone therapy.
The doc told me that the risk is only slightly higher for women to get breast cancer after taking hormones if they take them for more than 5 years.

So yesterday I started taking cliovelle (Estrace) on the lowest dosage. Lets see what it does to me.....

Did anyone else here take this medication and what are your experiences?

StrawberryBlonde
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 19th, 1988

Postby StrawberryBlonde » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:33 am

MyWifesMan wrote:In researching Menopause issues, I came across info on Maca supplements. Many women commenting on this one (http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Maca-500mg-Capsules/dp/B001DAYJOY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) have stated it helped their energy levels, menopause symptoms and that it gave them a noticeable to very significant increase in libido. And, weirdly, more than a few reported it made their boobs fuller/bigger. Who knows, might be worth a try, especially for libido?

I've also seen Amazon reviews with women reporting that Maca made their derrieres nice and round, but I already have that. Too bad you can't specify where you'd like the effects to take place. :D I'm not taking any chances on a bigger behind, but up top, now that could be a good side effect.

PurpleHeather, I hear you. Please keep us posted on the Estrace effects.

MyWifesMan
Hammock

Postby MyWifesMan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:47 am

I've also seen Amazon reviews with women reporting that Maca made their derrieres nice and round, but I already have that. Too bad you can't specify where you'd like the effects to take place. :D I'm not taking any chances on a bigger behind, but up top, now that could be a good side effect.

It made my wife gain weight - so, you know what her decision was on that!

Around about a year or so, after DW totally stopped her periods, I almost never knew which woman I was coming home to. MAN, was she ever moody! :shock: :shock: :shock: She would constantly be upset about something. It was really scary, because while I knew it had to do with menopause, it was also natural, for me, to try to logically figure out her moods - good luck with that! :roll: After that first year, and relatively suddenly, her intense mood swings simply disappeared and I got my DW back (the one I married).

Casey
Double

Postby Casey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:47 pm

SW, thought of this thread and your situation the other day, because of a conversation about menopause. Checked this thread and Purple Heather, read your post also which was a bit disheartening. OP, You mentioned earlier that you can only experience orgasms through use of a vibrator now. If it's not too much detail to ask, are they at least still enjoyable?

I was thinking of my own DW and aging. Wondering if at least something like the Sybian which is more powerful (littledinobug and some others have reported on it) would be something that could have an effect? It could still be a shared experience by the couple. It's a bit expensive but if the other treatments to get the libido back weren't working... maybe it's a way to still work with what you have?

purple heather
Twin size

Postby purple heather » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:12 am

I wanted to get back to you all about the treatment with Cliovelle (Estrace):

It really works on me! It started right away but the full results came after about 7-10 days.

I feel much better, less moody, the hot flashes have completely gone. But all of this isn`t as important to me as it is my increase in libido (not like in my young years, but much better than lately) and the ability to O. again. This is a gift I´m truely thankful for.
My husband`s SD is still high and I never expected to be able to O. every time we ML (haven`t before and it was okay with me and him). But I so wished to be pasionate again for him.

I`m thankful to the Lord for this medical help! I wonder if anyone here tried it, too and what your results were.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Estrace is a brand-name form of Estrodiol. DW had uterine cancer and lost her ovaries in the process. She soon experienced vaginal atrophy, and was prescribed Estrace as a vaginal cream to treat that symptom. They didn't want her doing full-blown HRT due to supposed risk of cancer.

However, she had so many other symptoms, including depression, mental fog, loss of libido and ability to orgasm, and pubic hair falling out that she went on bHRT anyway. It took a while to get all of the dosages right, but she is doing fine now, in fact has never been healthier. She is five years cancer-free and supposedly out of the woods.

Specifically to your question, she did have trouble orgasming, so they increased her estrogen to correct that problem.

Do you plan on using the Estrace just to get you thru menopause, or taking it indefinately? Either way, I recommend seeing a bioidentical HRT specialist, but especially if this is a long-term deal.

First of all, it is a usually bad idea to take Estrogen without progesterone due to cancer risk. You can get Progesterone otc at GNC or anywhere like that. You won't do any permanent damage by just taking some, but it would be best to get tested to know how much to take.

Also, Estrodiol is usually prescribed in an 80/20 mix with Estriol. More natural and more effective.

Also, a little more testosterone may be good.

There is a directory of bHRT doctors at a4m.com. Life Extension Medicine is a superset of bHRT.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

purple heather
Twin size

Postby purple heather » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 am

Thanks ledgemoor for this information!
My doc told me that Estrace is not a synthetic hormone but a natural one.

So I wonder what the difference is between natural and bioidentical.

The progesteron makes sense. I will ask her about it next time I see her.
She suggested I take this just "for a while". She wants me to report back how I´m doing so I will be discussing these questions with her the next time I see her.

I´m so glad to read about your wife and all the positive developments she`s experiencing, especially regarding the cancer!

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:26 am

Ok, the nomenclature surrounding hormones -- natural, synthetic, bioidentical is confusing. Estrace as well as the compounded hormones my DW takes ARE synthetic. They were manufactured in a lab. However, they are exactly like what your body makes. So they are EFFECTIVELY natural, but the FDA won't let them call it that, and it is technically inaccurate. Hence the term "bioidentical".

The usual stuff that they give women to help them thru menopause is Premarin. It is natural, made from Pregnant MARe uRINe. It is a estrogen, a very potent kind in fact, but is different than what humans have. BTW, the big scare over cancer and HRT was all over a study that followed women taking Premarin. There have been very few studies on bioidentical HRT. There was one small study that found women on it actually had a lower incidence of cancer.

For us it is largely a matter of faith. We believe that we were designed and created by God, didn't evolve by accident, so the better you do at keeping your body chemistry in line with healthy women of your age, the better off you will be. Not to mention the yuck factor with Premarin.

That's good that your doctor didn't try to go the Premarin or Prempro route (Prempro is Premarin with Progesterone, and I think the Progestrine is equine as well). Show her the a4m website -- she may want to get certified. According to our doctor, the exams are quite rigorous. Our doctor is a Gyn (I see him too :D). He displays his a4m certificate in the main lobby. His OBGyn certificate is in a back exam room somewhere.

How do you take your Estrace?
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Return to “Menopause”