The age your mother went on menopause

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
catwoman
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 30th, 1986

Re: The age your mother went on menopause

Postby catwoman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 am

Mamame, do ablations help with the heavy periods permanently or need to be done again regularly. I need it done yesterday!

Mine is about two years out. Still having periods, some months were very heavy still, most are not. My dr said if it didn't take after one, that for me she would recommend a hysterectomy. I am So glad I did it. I hope to avoid removing anything. My mom had horrible, debilitating periods for years until she was diagonosed with uterine cancer and removed it all. She was in her fifties.

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

As soon as I have a new GP in 2 months I will ask about the ablation. I did not expect to get heavier and more painful with age, but they are. I would love if it could be improved.

mamame
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Postby mamame » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 pm

My mother said she had crazy bad periods during perimenopause.

Why yes, I do post from my phone. How could you tell?

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Hmmm... these ARE crazy bad, but my mom only went into perimenopause in her late 40s. Then again, I know one does not necessarily always follow their mom's schedule for physical changes....

mamame wrote:My mother said she had crazy bad periods during perimenopause.

Why yes, I do post from my phone. How could you tell?

Babysweet
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 26th, 1987

Postby Babysweet » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:30 am

So how does an ablation play into menopause? I had 1 nine years ago and now I'm 50? I haven't had a period since then. My mom, sisters, grandmothers all had hysterectomies so I have no time line to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrawberryBlonde
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 19th, 1988

Postby StrawberryBlonde » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I did follow my mom's pregnancy history (no morning sickness), but not her menopausal history. Looking back now, I know my symptoms started when I was about 46, but because my mom's periods just kind of dried up with no other signs, I had no idea peri-menopause would make me a monster, a foggy-headed, dull, foggy-brained, emotional monster. Finally figured out after the damage was done that I wasn't going crazy, after all. Thankfully, I have a wonderfully resilient family.

For about two years (50-51) I had irregular, scary, HEAVY periods to the point I was faint from so much blood loss. Never did see the doctor (no insurance, no money), but I did start on some iron. Now I've been 9 mos w/o a period and keeping my fingers crossed, so to speak, to hold out for three more months. A friend started up again after eight months, with a period to make up for all the ones she had skipped, and I just do NOT want that. With the iron and better eating I am feeling human again now.

I read recently that menopausal women are more prone to yeast and UTI's, and I seem to be one of them. I'm thankful for internet, because without insurance I have to find solutions other than the doctor's office. They're out there.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Babysweet wrote:So how does an ablation play into menopause? I had 1 nine years ago and now I'm 50? I haven't had a period since then. My mom, sisters, grandmothers all had hysterectomies so I have no time line to compare.

I had an ablation eight years ago, followed by a hysterectomy two years later. My ablation seemed to trigger some perimenopausal symptoms at the time. It was as if once the mothership got messed with, my hormones didn't know what to do.

My doctor said that the only way to know if I'm truly in menopause is to check my hormones.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Return to “Menopause”