Now maybe a hysterectomy ?

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
landschooner
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1991

Re: Now maybe a hysterectomy ?

Postby landschooner » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:28 pm

gonna keep you guys in prayer.

LS

beekeeper
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 12th, 1981

Postby beekeeper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Update:
On the 4th [Sunday] Dw was in a lot of pain from the cramping/bleeding. Monday she agreed to go to the ER. They did blood tests, urine tests and lots of poking. They put her on percocet, which did help with the pain. Eventually they gave her a script for a pain killer 'tramadol'. She was looking ragged, they recommended that she take the pain killer going to bed to help get a full night of sleep. As well as one before each shift at work to get her through the work day. That did help. :)

By the 14th, when her next appointment came up. The tramadol was no longer working to control the pain.

This GYN has a separate practice, he wanted his own ultrasound and biopsy done. Then he was willing to come in afterward to speak with my DW [which the previous GYN refused to do]. Dw is in her 6th week of these cramps/bleeding. He prescribed vicodine and medroxyprogesterone. The vicodine for the pain, and medroxyprogesterone is to chemically simulate a D&C (dilation and curettage). It peels away and ejects the entire endometrium lining.

DW is to take the medroxyprogesterone for 10-days every quarter [every three months] to simulate an abortion, by removing the uterus lining. Then her uterus can grow a fresh lining every quarter, and possibly help in some manner.

This GYN seemed very nice and in answering our questions, it was obvious that he had read DW's medical history. Which is 1000% better than the first GYN. No help in the context of ever having sex, but he thinks this may help to stop her cramping and bleeding eventually.

There is too much fiber growth inside DW's uterus for an ultrasound to see inside it. So they are hoping that by using this drug to flush the uterus, the fibrous growths will leave too.

We asked about a hysterectomy, he explained that nobody would be willing to do that kind of procedure on DW. She is obese, she has already had 5 heart attacks, she smokes, and too much MSRA is going around; the risks are far too great to ever consider a major surgery.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:01 pm

I have been following your thread and praying for God to reveal what needs to happen next. I'm a little concerned about the painkillers, but I guess if the two of you are satisfied with the treatment, I'll just keep praying.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

golfwidow
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 6th, 1978

Postby golfwidow » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:19 am

I hope these treatments work for her. ::pray

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:56 am

Leah in Mid-South wrote:I have been following your thread and praying for God to reveal what needs to happen next. I'm a little concerned about the painkillers, but I guess if the two of you are satisfied with the treatment, I'll just keep praying.

When we were at the ER; a doc said she was going to give her a script for a narc. Another person standing there watching pulled the first one aside to discuss it. Behind a thin curtain does not make for a sound barrier. The first doc explained that in my DW's record she had a narc in her possession for years and had only used it when these cramps got bad. So she felt it was safe to give my DW more of them.

When she returned from behind the curtain, she went to write the script, my Dw told her she was concerned about it being a 'narc', so there was a conversation between us and the doc, and the doc changed it to a 'lesser' narc.

Then 10-days later when we got to this GYN, there was a similar conversation. [the first GYN gave no pain meds for the cramping/bleeding, my Dw was not able to stand-up straight after that GYN took the biopsy, she was doubled over in so much pain] This GYN said he is aware of the cultural bias to narcs, but that they have a purpose and an appropriate time for use.

I am not sure if we are really "satisfied with the treatment". We were both hoping to have her ovaries, uterus, cervix removed; after all these years of issues.

A drug that simulates a D&C, by peeling away and ejecting the entire endometrium lining is an idea that we are still wrapping our minds around. In my mind it does not address the cysts or painful cervix.

Being a male, I find it hard to wrap my mind around a body part designed to cramp and bleed anyway. To me bleeding is bad.

For now my Dw can walk, so she went to work this morning.

:)

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:57 am

Thank you everyone for your prayers.

I apologize for not having updated you folks on our ER trip.

landschooner
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1991

Postby landschooner » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:28 pm

thanks for the update beekeeper. Will continue to pray.

LS

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Wow. Praying for you both.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Thank you.

As of yesterday there was no change in symptoms. Cramping/bleeding; OTC meds every 6 hours, the narc when going to bed and again at the beginning of work-shift.

This morning she was up early and in a foul mood, I assume the narc must have wore off at about 4am.

eliza1
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 26th, 1985

Postby eliza1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:33 pm

I have fibroids and cysts, lots of them. Take three ibuprofen three times daily every day for at least seven days. That will stop the clotting and will reduce inflammation. Trust me. Then iron supplements or a lot of spinach and iron rich foods.

golfwidow
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 6th, 1978

Postby golfwidow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Then iron supplements or a lot of spinach and iron rich foods.

I would second this and add to take vitamin C in some form with the iron foods, it is good for helping absorption.

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm

We eat a lot of fiddleheads which is a source of iron.

;)

BHF
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 22nd, 2011

Postby BHF » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:56 am

Hi beekeeper

Sorry for intruding but I read your entire thread now in case what I wanted to suggest at beginning of your thread was already mentioned.

It was. A cauterization or endometrial ablation. Ask the doc to consider this as a possibility. I work for a medical aid / health insurance company, lol admittedly in South Africa. But a giant one which spans three continents, including the UK. The criteria for an ablation are less strict than for a hysterectomy.

Basically, an ablation burns off the lining of the uterus. Depending on the size of the fibroid, it could also burn off with the rest of the lining. In most cases, especially older women there is little or no menses afterwards.

The D&C is more superficial than the ablation, and the ablation is less invasive than the hysterectomy. It can be done in doctors rooms. takes less than an hour. I dont think she would need HRT then.

All the best.
"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy ...And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight" Phil 1:3,4,9

eliza1
King bed

Postby eliza1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 pm

that is what my ob is going to do if I stilll have problems, the ablation. I totally one hundred percent stand by the seven to ten days of three times daily ibuprofen, it made me normal again.,

datepalm
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 18th, 1980

Postby datepalm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm

I had an ablation 4 years ago--one of my best decisions! No more "period issues" b/c no more period! Still a monthly hormonal cycle, just no mess or cramps.

Another thought--1 immodium every 6 hours. Yep, the little green pills for diarrhea!. Turns out the uterus and the intestine are the same kind of muscle, and experience cramping the same.

Also, don't know if you're aware a hysterectomy can be done with the DaVinci surgical robot. MUCH less invasive and risky.
What if God's primary intent for your marriage isn't to make you happy...but to make you holy?
--Gary Thomas (Sacred Marriage)

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:31 pm

BHF wrote:Hi beekeeper

Sorry for intruding but I read your entire thread now in case what I wanted to suggest at beginning of your thread was already mentioned.

It was. A cauterization or endometrial ablation. Ask the doc to consider this as a possibility. I work for a medical aid / health insurance company, lol admittedly in South Africa. But a giant one which spans three continents, including the UK. The criteria for an ablation are less strict than for a hysterectomy.

Basically, an ablation burns off the lining of the uterus. Depending on the size of the fibroid, it could also burn off with the rest of the lining. In most cases, especially older women there is little or no menses afterwards.

The D&C is more superficial than the ablation, and the ablation is less invasive than the hysterectomy. It can be done in doctors rooms. takes less than an hour. I dont think she would need HRT then.

All the best.

Thank you.

She can not have HRT anyway :)

She has only seen this GYN once. At this point, she does not have any further appointments. This protocol [with this medroxyprogesterone script] would end after a year.

We are nearing the end of her first bout with the medroxyprogesterone. If that ends the cramps/bleeding, then I assume she will not see him again for a year. Taking it for 10-days once every quarter.

We are at 8 1/2 weeks now of cramping/bleeding. Her vicodine script will run-out soon. She needs one to sleep and another at the beginning of each work shift.

If the cramping/bleeding do not stop; it will take 2 weeks to get in to see the PCP. I do not know if her PCP will write a vicodine script. Or if the PCP will need to refer her back to the GYN. [another 2 week delay].

We are hoping that one bout with the medroxyprogesterone will end the cramping.

I will keep the idea of an ablation for next year; if this protocol does not help. :)

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:32 pm

eliza1 wrote:that is what my ob is going to do if I stilll have problems, the ablation. I totally one hundred percent stand by the seven to ten days of three times daily ibuprofen, it made me normal again.,

We have a long ways to go before anything in life resembles 'normal'.

:)

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:38 pm

datepalm wrote:I had an ablation 4 years ago--one of my best decisions! No more "period issues" b/c no more period! Still a monthly hormonal cycle, just no mess or cramps.

Another thought--1 immodium every 6 hours. Yep, the little green pills for diarrhea!. Turns out the uterus and the intestine are the same kind of muscle, and experience cramping the same.

Also, don't know if you're aware a hysterectomy can be done with the DaVinci surgical robot. MUCH less invasive and risky.

I do not know why, but this forum sometimes goes many days before notifying me of a response. I am so sorry about the delay. I check my email daily. I just get so depressed at times I can not bear to scroll through so many threads about people having sex.

Cold weather is starting now, soon people will be bundled up, and it will be easier for me to leave the farm. Get more chance to see other people IRL and all. :)

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving.

eliza1
King bed

Postby eliza1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm

HAS SHE tried the three dose daily of 600 mg iburprofen. It works it really really does. I had all the same symptoms, now I am good. you have to give it 8-10 to work, and you must take 3 x daily. try it and let us know. As for insurance, they will approve an ablation far faster than a hysterectomy! it is so much less invasive. Why cannot you call your dr. You dont HAVE to wait, you can ask about trying this sooner. remember you are the consumer. dont let your wife get addicted to vicodan for something that can be pretty easily handled.

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:25 pm

eliza1 wrote:HAS SHE tried the three dose daily of 600 mg iburprofen. It works it really really does. I had all the same symptoms, now I am good. you have to give it 8-10 to work, and you must take 3 x daily. try it and let us know.

She is on iburprofen now. She has been since the second GYN appointment.

At one time Dw was taking iburprofen for her headaches, she got to taking them too often, eventually the headache triggered one of her repeat heartattacks. When the cardiac ward did all of their testing they found she was nearing the brink of kidney failure. They diagnosed her with migraines and told her to stay away from iburprofen, to use a migraine narc instead. After a week with a steady heart beat again and her kidneys were back to normal they released her.

Since then she has had a few migraines. Mostly they are controlled by the narc, which puts her in bed for 3 days. Only once since then has a migraine triggered another heart attack [requiring nitroquick and another week in cardiac].

She has stayed off iburprofen since then. Up until this GYN told her to take 800mg 3x daily, never to exceed 3200mg/daily. So now she is taking it again.

... As for insurance, they will approve an ablation far faster than a hysterectomy! it is so much less invasive.

So far we have not seen nor heard of any issues with our insurance not approving anything. I have only been told of the opposite, that the military insurance is about the best for approving and paying. Our insurance rates have just gone up [it is not a private company, rather it is controlled directly by congress, and they have raised insurance enrollment fees and co-pays for all US servicemembers this fall] and they are scheduled to go up again in January.

No body has attempted to get our insurance to approve a hysterectomy, thus far. We have not seen anything to suggest that our insurance would not approve it.

I was told that the current hold up is the new health care regulators setting up shop under new Federal regulations. Nothing gets to the insurance without going through them first.

The patient advocates office told me that under the new regulations doctors are now being incentivized to decrease how many invasive procedures they do, in favor of drugs. They are not all in place yet, in another year it should be.

... Why cannot you call your dr. You dont HAVE to wait, you can ask about trying this sooner. remember you are the consumer. dont let your wife get addicted to vicodan for something that can be pretty easily handled.

She is hoping now that this drug will work.

We will see.

Return to “Menopause”