Perimenopause and hysterectomy...I'm DONE!!

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
Superc
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 2002

Perimenopause and hysterectomy...I'm DONE!!

Postby Superc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

It really stinks that I am at this point, but I am! I started perimenopause about 5 years ago. At this point, I feel like I'm NEVER going to get through it!!

I have been having two periods a month for about a year now. This means that I have PMS for about 2 1/2 weeks out of the month. I'm not just talking about moodiness, (which is a problem...just ask DH!). I'm talking about night sweats, day sweats, all-day nausea, body aches, and fatigue. I, also, have sleep issues and fibromyalgia. The hormones make it so much worse. I just can't handle it any more!!

I can't go on hormonal BC. So, I have been seriously considering a hysterectomy. I would love to hear from women who have been through this! It absolutely affects our MB, because I find that I am beginning to be LD. And, dh is an LD, refuser. We are working on it, but I don't want to delay any progress with my health issues. Right now, we have (maybe) 10 days a month that are open for ML. Not good odds for us!!

Any advice or shared experience is appreciated. I am so down about this today, because I have just muddled through this entire week. :( :roll:
Superc

"Ya know, the nearer your destination, the more you're slip-slidin' away!" -Paul Simon

Dale
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Re: Perimenopause and hysterectomy...I'm DONE!!

Postby Dale » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I'll be letting my DW know about this thread, SuperC. She went through a hysterectomy last year, and she'll have some good things to share!

Dale

P.S. There is also a section of the boards titled "Reproductive Cancer and Hysterectomy" if you would like to post there.

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 pm

That would be GREAT, Dale! As a husband, do you notice a difference??
Superc

"Ya know, the nearer your destination, the more you're slip-slidin' away!" -Paul Simon

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:50 pm

Dale, where do I find that section on the Boards? I don't see it.
Superc

Dale

Postby Dale » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Superc wrote:Dale, where do I find that section on the Boards? I don't see it.

You have to subscribe to it right now, although that may be changing soon.

Dale

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 pm

Found it! Thank you so much!!
Superc

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:39 pm

I started having perimenopausal symptoms fairly early, but did not go through menopause until the last five years. I had a lot of the same symptoms except nausea. I was pretty determined not to take hormones, and I didn't. It was pretty miserable, but the best thing I did during that time is study Boundaries. Over and over. The growth and maturity really helped me deal with the mood swings because it helped me focus my feelings where they belonged, not on the most convenient target.

Now I'm done with menopause, and I do experience some dryness. That's the main symptom. I just have to go slowly and use lots of lube. I take care of myself a lot of the time to keep myself, um, fresh. It helps with natural lubrication and the loss of elasticity.

Getting fit and eating right is also a plus. I look and feel so much better than I did before menopause.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Leah in Mid-South wrote:I started having perimenopausal symptoms fairly early, but did not go through menopause until the last five years. I had a lot of the same symptoms except nausea. I was pretty determined not to take hormones, and I didn't. It was pretty miserable, but the best thing I did during that time is study Boundaries. Over and over. The growth and maturity really helped me deal with the mood swings because it helped me focus my feelings where they belonged, not on the most convenient target.

Now I'm done with menopause, and I do experience some dryness. That's the main symptom. I just have to go slowly and use lots of lube. I take care of myself a lot of the time to keep myself, um, fresh. It helps with natural lubrication and the loss of elasticity.

Getting fit and eating right is also a plus. I look and feel so much better than I did before menopause.

Thank you, Leah!!

I may need some "extra" advice during this process. I have made an appointment for Monday morning to discuss this with my GYN. I won't take "no" for an answer! I just can't live like this anymore!!

And, I am SO glad I followed your advice about reading Boundaries! It has, already, helped me to deal with those vicious mood swings. Last night, I just took my computer to my room, and stayed there by myself. That was the best way to not project my hormones onto my family!!
Superc

mom210
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Postby mom210 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Have you looked into a thermal ablation?
Also, to those that have gone through menopause without hormones.. be careful...
my mom was recently diagnosed with a prolapsed bladder and then a prolapsed uterus.. the dr told her that the uterus was caused by NEVER using hormones after menopause.. even for a short time.. and that estrogen depletion had caused her tissues to thin.. even though she did not have any other symptoms of a hormone deficiency.

Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Postby Leah » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm sure if my doctor thought they were necessary she recommend them. She has poked, prodded, and ultrasounded just about every little nook and cranny in me.

I am very, very healthy. Shockingly so. I have bone density off the charts. Seriously. Very fit, active, and energetic.

Aside from early stage arthritis, I'm fine.

I'm not saying Boundaries is the magic formula for menopause, but the discipline and reflection really helped me make the transition without a ton of drama.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

mom210
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Postby mom210 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Leah in Mid-South wrote:I'm sure if my doctor thought they were necessary she recommend them. She has poked, prodded, and ultrasounded just about every little nook and cranny in me.

I am very, very healthy. Shockingly so. I have bone density off the charts. Seriously. Very fit, active, and energetic.

Aside from early stage arthritis, I'm fine.

I'm not saying Boundaries is the magic formula for menopause, but the discipline and reflection really helped me make the transition without a ton of drama.

I sorry.. that was not necessarily directed at you.. My mom went through menopause very easily and had no problems.. no dryness, no moodiness.. nothing.. she was even able to lose weight after menopause... she was always very happy that she never had to use hormones.. and would tell me and my sisters this.. but after the uterine prolapse , she has been more cautious and has told my sisters and I that it is something we need to think about and to bring up with our drs.. as none of her drs aver mentioned this to her..
just one of those FYI things, you know?

jsaw
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 16th, 1998

Postby jsaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

My DW experienced some of the problems you are describing. also she had pain due to ovarian cysts. (At age 43) she had a hysterectomy. She still has some hot flashes and dryness "down there" but she is very less moody, and it mellowed her out a lot. Other than a little less drive, due partly to the dryness, I am going to say that everything came out well. No regrets about having it done

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 pm

My appointment is tomorrow, and I'm a bit nervous. Dh can't go with me. His dad has an appointment that he needs to be there for. (Such is the life of middle-agers!!) So, I am going by myself. I am very comfortable with my GYN. So, it should be okay. I just know I have serious decisions to make, and I know that this will affect dh and I for several weeks...or months!

Prayers are appreciated!

Thank you!
Super
Superc

MountainGirl

Postby MountainGirl » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi Super,

I am almost two years post hysterectomy for chronic anemia caused by severe bleeding simliar to what you mentioned you are having. A couple of questions... is your bleeding "normal" or have you had issues with heavy menses (going through more than one pad per hour) or clots bigger than a quarter in size? Have you been checked for anemia and if so has it been of a chronic nature? These symptoms are very important to discuss with your Gyn if you have not already.

Because I had anemia and fibroids I did have a NovaSure ablation five years prior to my hyesterectomy which made me feel much better initially and totally stopped my periods for a while. Eventually, they began to return and progessively became worse and restarted a downward spiral with anemia, fatigue and severe low back pain, primarly on the right side which we found out following the hyst were caused by adhesions from a previous surgery (c-section) that had basically glued my uterus and bladder together that had been getting progressively worse for years, Because the adhesions did not show up on any diagnostic tests that were run the cause was not determined until they found it during my surgery which actually caused my surgery to be two hours longer than expected and gave my DH quite a scare.

Sometimes an ablation will totally cure the problem, however as in my case, ultimately a hysterectomy is required.

One online resource I would encourage you to check out if you have not is hystersisters. This is a forum created exclusively for women who have questions about gynecological symptoms, need encouragement, feel like they are alone in their struggles, preparing for, going through and recovering from hysterectomies. There are a lot of topics to explore and although it is not an official medical website, it has a lot of information I found extremely helpful.

One thing is for sure, you are not alone in this process!! If you have any other quetsions, I would be happy to reply and help in any way I can.

Dale

Postby Dale » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 pm

MountainGirl is my awesome DW!!! :D :D

Dale

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:17 pm

MountainGirl wrote:Hi Super,

I am almost two years post hysterectomy for chronic anemia caused by severe bleeding simliar to what you mentioned you are having. A couple of questions... is your bleeding "normal" or have you had issues with heavy menses (going through more than one pad per hour) or clots bigger than a quarter in size? Have you been checked for anemia and if so has it been of a chronic nature? These symptoms are very important to discuss with your Gyn if you have not already.

Because I had anemia and fibroids I did have a NovaSure ablation five years prior to my hyesterectomy which made me feel much better initially and totally stopped my periods for a while. Eventually, they began to return and progessively became worse and restarted a downward spiral with anemia, fatigue and severe low back pain, primarly on the right side which we found out following the hyst were caused by adhesions from a previous surgery (c-section) that had basically glued my uterus and bladder together that had been getting progressively worse for years, Because the adhesions did not show up on any diagnostic tests that were run the cause was not determined until they found it during my surgery which actually caused my surgery to be two hours longer than expected and gave my DH quite a scare.

Sometimes an ablation will totally cure the problem, however as in my case, ultimately a hysterectomy is required.

One online resource I would encourage you to check out if you have not is hysteristers. This is a forum created exclusively for women who have questions about gynecological symptoms, need encouragement, feel like they are alone in their struggles, preparing for, going through and recovering from hysterectomies. There are a lot of topics to explore and although it is not an official medical website, it has a lot of information I found extremely helpful.

One thing is for sure, you are not alone in this process!! If you have any other quetsions, I would be happy to reply and help in any way I can.

Thank you...from the bottom of my heart!! I appreciate your input, and relate to, almost, everything you said! Yes. I do have very heavy periods. I change my feminine product, at least, every few hours. And, I use the "Supers!" I was always pretty regular until about 5 years ago. That's when all the symptoms started. Did you, or any other gal reading this, feel just worn out? I mean, some days, it is just hard for me to have the energy to push through my day. I feel lazy! My brain wants to knock out the chores of the day like I always did, (when I felt healthier,) but my body just can't do it. Therefore, I feel like a slug. This has affected my emotional health, as well as, my physical health. I wanna feel "normal" again!!

I struggle with fibromyalgia. At times, it is more pain than I can ignore. But, it seems that my hormonal, menstrual, issues are making it so much worse.

Thank you, Sister, for your input and advice!

Btw, another dear sister mentioned hystersisters. And, I have perused the sight. I know it will be pertinent during this process for me!!
Superc

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:22 pm

Dale wrote:MountainGirl is my awesome DW!!! :D :D

Dale

I am pleased, and honored, to meet you MountainGirl. And, I thank you so much, Dale, for asking for her input here!! This decision is so, very, serious for me. And, I see that you both recognize this. It means more than you, both, know!!

Thank you...Sincerely!!

Superc
Superc

MountainGirl

Postby MountainGirl » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 pm

Yes, I have experienced the overwhelming fatigue you describe. I am still dealing with it to some degree as I have severe sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. Have you been evaluated for apnea? My fatigue was profoundly worse when my menses was irregular and heavy and many days felt like it was all I could do just to make it through the day.

One other helpful thing I have found is to write the questions I want to ask the doc down because when you are fatigued it is do easy to be forgetful.

I am praying for your appt. tomorrow!

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:54 pm

I, too, have sleep apnea. And, I have a CPAP machine. I quit using it for a while, but for the past month, I knew I needed to do something to help me combat the fatigue. I suffer from night sweats during PMS, which is about 8 days a month. The sweating is enough to wake me up to change clothes during the night. So, sleep is often interrupted.

I take care of a 19 month-old, and her 3 year-old brother during the day. I have been keeping them since the 3 year-old was 3 weeks old! Lately, I feel like I am the worst caregiver ever, because I just don't have the energy to play. Then, my family comes home in the evening, and I just can't seem to move my body!

I have no doubt that God is at work here. And, I will continue to give it all to Him...because my heart says He is in charge!!

Even through this crazy, hormonal, storm...I will praise Him!! :wink:
Superc

Superc
Hammock

Postby Superc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 am

I will be having a complete hysterectomy on January 3rd. YIKES!! :shock: But, to be truthful, I am ready. I know it's the right thing to do.

I could use some extra prayers sent that day, my friends! And, any advice is greatly appreciated. I have, already, received some great advice here! And, I appreciate it so much!!

Hello, menopause!! :mrgreen:
Superc

Return to “Menopause”