Perimenopause and hysterectomy...I'm DONE!!

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Re: Perimenopause and hysterectomy...I'm DONE!!

Postby blushingwife » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:12 am

I am ignorant of the whys of hysterectomy, but I am wondering why you need to have everything removed.

Superc
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 2002

Postby Superc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

blushingwife wrote:I am ignorant of the whys of hysterectomy, but I am wondering why you need to have everything removed.

I, too, am pretty ignorant about the subject. But, I'm learning! I chose to have the ovaries removed, because they are already showing signs of shutting down. I have had menopausal symptoms for about 5 years now. So, I chose to take that leap, and have surgical menopause. I pray that this will be an easy transition, but I know it's a serious choice.

I do worry about libido and how this will affect my MB.
Superc

"Ya know, the nearer your destination, the more you're slip-slidin' away!" -Paul Simon

Arogen

Postby Arogen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Anybody know if you can get a NovaSure ablation up in Canada (or something like it)? DW has really heavy periods, hard cramping, clots, nausea, irregular timing etc. She isn't considering a H, but she said she would if she was in a physically demanding job. She usually has to take 1 or 2 'girl days' each cycle where she doesn't do anything she doesn't have to.

Arogen

Postby Arogen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Also, is there a link between perimenopause and weight gain? DW gained about 40lbs very quickly and hasn't been able to lose it. It doesn't bother me but it bugs her. Her hormone levels are OK.

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Congratulations on getting scheduled for your surgery! It’s a huge relief to have a plan and know that what you’re suffering now will soon be over.

I had my hysterectomy four years ago this month. I kept my ovaries, and although they never completely woke back up (I’d been experiencing perimenopausal symptoms for a couple years by then), they do still produce very low levels of estrogen. Nevertheless, I’ve been on low-dose HRT since my surgery to help deal with the worst of my symptoms.

A hysterectomy is a huge decision and major surgery, but it’s nice to feel in charge of your own health and feel like you’re moving forward.

I’ll send some extra prayers on January 3.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Superc
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 2nd, 2002

Postby Superc » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:01 pm

seeking perspective wrote:Congratulations on getting scheduled for your surgery! It’s a huge relief to have a plan and know that what you’re suffering now will soon be over.

I had my hysterectomy four years ago this month. I kept my ovaries, and although they never completely woke back up (I’d been experiencing perimenopausal symptoms for a couple years by then), they do still produce very low levels of estrogen. Nevertheless, I’ve been on low-dose HRT since my surgery to help deal with the worst of my symptoms.

A hysterectomy is a huge decision and major surgery, but it’s nice to feel in charge of your own health and feel like you’re moving forward.

I’ll send some extra prayers on January 3.

Thank you, seeking! Your advice and encouragement have been instrumental. I have found some great information on HysterSisters, and it is such a blessing to have such a resource!!

Arogen, I don't have any info on the ablation. But, I would encourage your DW to press her doctor to look into it. I am convinced that hormones play a big part in weight gain, as well as, many other symptoms that affect a woman's body. Has she had her thyroid levels checked? Does she feel any unusual lumps under her chin or on her neck? I had a, sizable, nodule on my thyroid...but all my thyroid levels were okay. I gained 15 pounds in one month, but my doctor (at the time) was not concerned. At this time, I started having my "female issues." I had the tumor removed 3 years ago. And, it has been a downward spiral ever since. I do believe that this surgery is a way of taking some control of what is happening to my body.
Superc

"Ya know, the nearer your destination, the more you're slip-slidin' away!" -Paul Simon

eliza1
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 26th, 1985

Postby eliza1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:16 pm

I too have erratic periods as well as a number of huge fibroyds as well as cysts on both ovaries, sister cyst on one. That said my Dr said hysterectomy is extreme and last thing to try. He gave me a hormone to take that I took only a few days a month and it reset my uterus so to speak. Then if that did not work the ablation surgery. My sis in law did that and it fixed her for three years. She had it again and has since go e thru menopause. I just would make sure all avenues have been explored. Removing your overlies is no small change. I will pray for you and your doctors.

jsaw
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 16th, 1998

Postby jsaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 pm

blushingwife wrote:I am ignorant of the whys of hysterectomy, but I am wondering why you need to have everything removed.

In the case of My DW, she had multiple issues. There were ovarian cysts that caused much pain, There was some endometriosis, and some fibroids which can be painful. Also there is a family history of cancer of the reproductive system. The Dr told her that it was up to us as to whether to remove everything or not, but that if we didn't that there could still be problems later. We elected to remove everything, and have no regrets.

Return to “Menopause”