Progesterone cream and no periods?

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
spiritfire777
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1990

Progesterone cream and no periods?

Postby spiritfire777 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:07 pm

ok.. so I am on Progesterone cream twice daily.. Suddenly I have no periods... its been 3 months since .. I haven't ever felt like I should even have one... weird!!... I go off the cream a week out of the month but never bleed and never have symptoms.. as a bit of backround I am 50 this up coming month and have had menopause symptoms now for years... IM not sure if I should be worried or not... any ideas?? anyone else have this issue??

Blovesme
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 6th, 2011

Re: Progesterone cream and no periods?

Postby Blovesme » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:13 pm

I am 47 and never had that happened when I used it but I would be happy if it did! As long as you feel well, I wouldn't worry about it.

spiritfire777
King bed

Postby spiritfire777 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

I DO feel well.. in fact, I feel crummy without it...

MrsTom
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 8th, 1990

Postby MrsTom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:26 am

Well, when I wasn't having any periods for a long time, I was given progesterone to oppose all the estrogen and it would produce a period.

However, I had to use progesterone to "keep"a pregnancy for a number of weeks. (My OB eventually got around to an exam and the pregnancy was a loss. I suspect strongly that there was not a viable pregnancy to start with.)

So two opposing situations. Not helpful, but my experience.
When I told my hubby it's too bad he couldn't have a wife who had both a dirty mind and a clean house, he said he'd far prefer the former.

spiritfire777
King bed

Postby spiritfire777 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:20 am

MrsTom wrote:So two opposing situations. Not helpful, but my experience.

Yeah... I have always had heavy periods up until now.. that's why I thought it was strange ... anyone who knows my backround ( and lack of PIV ) knows pregnancy isn't possible for us ... That being said, your experience was interesting .. thanks for sharing.. :)

Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:53 pm

Interesting timing....

I recently went to work for a naturopathic doctor and she and I discussed bio-identical progesterone cream just last night. She used to prescribe it, but has stopped and said that the naturopathic medical community is beginning to veer away from prescribing it because it's causing weight gain in women. This isn't supposed to be a side effect, but it's reported, so you have to wonder what's going on? I'd have to guess all progesterone creams aren't created equal. And I'd also bet that they aren't prescribed equally or taken equally, either. For example, I take mine at night, vaginally but only once per day with no monthly breaks because I'm surgically menopausal.

Progesterone opposes the estrogens in your body. The interplay between progesterone and estrogen are what drive your menstrual cycle. Given your age, I'd say you're in full blown menopause or very near it. And the progesterone has possibly gotten the edge as your natural estrogen levels are decreasing.

spiritfire777
King bed

Postby spiritfire777 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:04 am

Nvr2Late ... yes... I used to be estrogen dominant.. with nearly all the aweful menopausal symptoms... I feel much calmer now ... and it helps my symptoms greatly ... I don't figure I will be on it forever though... However all I have been reading says the estrogen is what is causing weight gain.. ( food cravings and etc... ) Go figure!! .. So tell me, what do they prescribe if not progesterone cream?

Nvr2Late
On the floor
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 9th, 2013

Postby Nvr2Late » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 am

The way it was explained to me is, to get the entire endocrine system, mostly the adrenals, so that they can pick up the slack. The theory is "Make it, don't take it".

I haven't studied up on that yet, but that's the direction I am headed myself. I stopped my compounded hormone creams a couple weeks ago and amazingly enough I'm losing weight slowly without even trying to. I'm a guinea pig, LOL.

Singingwife47

Postby Singingwife47 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:23 am

Well I am taking the bioidentical progesterone pill.... I've had my periods twice a month for the last three months: one when I am supposed to have it and one when my daughter has it and I start the pills. it is really frustrating.

spiritfire777
King bed

Postby spiritfire777 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:02 am

Nvr2Late ... yeah I get what your saying.. and I am with you about make it not taking it... I also take maca in hopes to help the adrenals... I have tons more energy since then..

Singingwife47.. my first month that was the case too.. however I think my hormones are balancing out now.. I have read that in your case other woman also have that problem... Did you know that woman who live together ( mom and daughter for instance ) often have periods together or at least symptoms of it....??

spiritfire777
King bed

Postby spiritfire777 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 pm

as an update.. I had gone off of all meds due to an extended sickness ( over 2 months ) .. so I started having hot flashes again just after getting over being sick.. go figure!!.. using the progesterone cream again and STILL haven't had any periods... at least in the last 5-6 months .. hot flashes, vericrose veins , and low libido, slightly having a hard time getting my thoughts together, are my main symptoms now.. OH I have insurance FINALLY! so getting a real doctor is going to be a goal this up coming months... My main focus however is getting hubby better... his Andropause is getting worse again... but that's another story..

UPDATED to report that period JUST started.. but its the very first one since starting this thread.. probably the only one I have had in say 6 months or so... and very light too... I don't get it...

Return to “Menopause”