Question Regarding Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
Carolina_Guy
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 18th, 1999

Question Regarding Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women

Postby Carolina_Guy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:48 am

My wife was diagnosed with endometriosis as a senior in high school. It was diagnosed very late and by the time it was discovered the doctors actually recommended that she have a complete hysterectomy at age 17. She was told that if she kept everything, her chances of having children was less than 5%. Ten years later, after the birth of our second child, she followed doctors’ orders and had everything removed. Since that time she has struggled mightily with moods, sleep, restlessness, stress, confidence, weight, and libido. She heard about HRT therapy and are starting to look into it as an option. She is scheduling an appointment with her doctor but of course it will be a few weeks. In the meantime she would like to get some feedback from those that may have used the therapy and see what they thought of it. If anyone has experiences would you mind sharing the pros and cons from your story? Thanks in advance!

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Re: Question Regarding Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women

Postby ledgemoor » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:18 am

Hi--

My wife lost her ovaries due to uterine cancer. She was post-menopausal at the time, yet suffered all the symptoms you describe.

Do check out Bioidentical HRT. It is different from traditional HRT in two ways. First of all, it uses hormones that are the same as what her body would produce naturally, not some substance foreign to her body such as PremPro. Secondly, the whole philosophy is different. While conventional HRT treats symptoms -- estrogen for vaginal dryness, antidepressants for her mood, etc., BHRT's goal is to bring her bodily hormone levels to normal and optimize her health.

DW's oncologists were treating symptoms as I described. When they wanted to put her on antidepressants (doctors prescribe them like candy these days it seems), I said "enough". Time to fix the problem, not treat symptoms. It took about a year to get her dosages dialed in, but she has never been in better health. She lost weight and has energy. We mountain bike together now. She has orgasms, she lubricates better than she has ever done in her life, and has lush healthy hair -- on her head as well as her pubic hair.

Disadvantages? None!

So check it out.

Here is a directory that I believe lists most bHRT doctors, and if you don't mind travelling a bit, she can use ours --he's really good. (I say "ours" because I am on bHRT too :lol:).

http://www.a4m.com/

Let me know if any ???s.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

spiritfire777
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 23rd, 1990

Postby spiritfire777 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:38 pm

Carolina guy .. its called forced menopause ... read the menopause threads also they may help... I do progesterone cream and it helps a lot!! you can buy it over the counter...

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:22 am

I use HRT to even out my estrogen levels. Although many of my friends have gone the route of bioidenticals through compounding pharmacists as ledgemoor describes, I use oral estradiol. It helps me with moods, sleeps, etc.

If your wife is still rather young, then she faces quite a few years of HRT. It will be important for her to talk with a doctor about what options are best for her long-term use.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

Return to “Menopause”