Fibromyalgia treatment that really helps?

Painfull intercourse, pain with sexual activity, and pain that prevents sex or makes sex difficult.
ophelia
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 20th, 2004

Fibromyalgia treatment that really helps?

Postby ophelia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi all. I have mentioned here and there that I have been struggling with health problems over the last few years. Back in January I actually got a diagnosis of fibromylagia but I guess I just didn't believe that it accounted for all of my problems so I kind of ignored it. :? Now, it appears I am more ready to try and treat myself as though I actually have it. I have been taking Welbutrin for the last few months but that doesn't actually help with any of the pain or fatigue. (I'm sure I have chronic fatigue as well as the ever present thyroid issue. Adrenal fatigue is also likely due to my sky high DHEA levels lately.) Anyway, I am considering trying an SSRI once again. I fear that it will kill my libido though. Is anyone else having any luck with them. Also, I was recently prescribed an estrogen cream which I'm supposed to use 3 times a week in order to help repair my vaginal lining which tears a bit every month. I haven't started it yet. I'm wondering if it will effect dh. Will he absorb any of it during sex?

I guess I'm just wondering how others here with fibro or another auto-immune condition are dealing with their symptoms. What works and what doesn't?
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
In our bedrooms we are free
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently
Until the dawn's early light.
This is why we fight~Fast Romantics

seeker12
Fell out of ...
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 17th, 1980

Re: Fibromyalgia treatment that really helps?

Postby seeker12 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 pm

I just now saw this post. My DW has been dealing with fibro for over 20 years now.

I'm wondering if it will effect dh. Will he absorb any of it during sex?

According to my DW's doctor, if DW and I had sex on a regular basis (4= times a week), the answer would be yes. Since we have sex only once every 10 days :( , this is not a problem for us. My DW has never had an effective treatment for her fibro...she just started a new treatment a couple weeks ago and maybe this will be the solution for her. If you would like more info, just PM me.

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Seeker,
:lol: I had completely forgotten about this thread.

I was just hoping that others here could share some stories and what works for them.
I have not been using the estrogen cream because, as you stated, it could be absorbed by dh. Kind of a bummer.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

eliza1
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 26th, 1985

Postby eliza1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:39 am

Although I don't have fibro, I take Celexa for depression with extreme anxiety. My libido is thru the roof, and has been ever since starting it. I hope you find relief.

TheHubby
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 4th, 2012

Postby TheHubby » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 pm

My wife's had fibromyalgia for about 8 years. She's tried about every med and nothing has really helped. She currently takes an anti-depressant, partly for the fibro and partly for anxiety. If you don't react well to the first pill ask your doc for something different. As I said my wife has tried many, some made her feel high, one even made her hallucinate (that was freaky). It seems like the biggest help is just basic healthy living, eating well, exercising when her body lets her, getting plenty of sleep, trying to reduce stress whenever possible.
This too shall pass...
"The difference between an adult and a child is that an adult accepts that the only real choice in life is between productive anxieties and useless ones" David Schnarch Resurrecting Sex

Prayerful
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 12th, 1983

Postby Prayerful » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:20 pm

A treatment that may work is 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan). You can get it at some supplement shops. It's a precursor of serotonin. Try that before an SSRI. You have to start with small doses and then ramp up, or you get stomache upset.

As far as estrogen cream, if you take it 4 hours or more before sex you should have fully absorbed it so don't worry. It works wonders, and is well worth it (my DW uses it for menopause symptoms).

Memel
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 28th, 1994

Postby Memel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Howdy Ophelia,

Have you considered a GAPS diet to alleviate the FM?

http://livingwellwithfibromyalgia.wordp ... gaps-diet/

ophelia
Under the stars

Postby ophelia » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for the link memel. Like many other things, I hadn't heard about GAPS until I read about it here. TMB is such a helpful site.

When I started this thread I was going through a very rough period full of stress and the extreme, humid heat of July. It appears that hot weather has a lot to do with how tired and inflamed I get. Sleep is also a HUGE factor. Over the past several months I've been doing pretty good. I've only had one little flare up and that coincided with having a bad virus. I got sick like everybody else but the body pain was off the chart. I started a new job three weeks ago that requires me to get up at 4:45 am three days a week and this has added a new challange to getting enough rest. It has also amped up my stress due to getting everything done for my kids and keeping the house in a livable condition for the babysitter. I'm still working out the kinks and I can feel the problems creeping back in over this time.

I am currently eating a gluten free diet. I have found that it helps tremendously. Being on a GF diet naturally causes me to eat a lot less grain. In 2012 I had chronic gut pain and that has all but disappeared. I saw a holistic doctor twice last year who tested me for other potential food allergies and he found that I'm okay with dairy, eggs etc. He also put me on weekly B12 shots which also helps. It appears that my iron and B levels were constantly low.

My next goal is to work in an exercise regime. I am really wanting to try a boot-camp workout but I KNOW that my body will rebel. :?
I think it will be awhile before I try anything too vigorous.
Come on darling
There's a war on our TV
But it's alright
Deep in the guts of me
I Love You Violently

Return to “Pain during or preventing sex”