Hormone Replacement Therapy for men- Pro or Con?

Aging brings changes - some good, some not so much.
thebigfish
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 17th, 1978

Hormone Replacement Therapy for men- Pro or Con?

Postby thebigfish » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:02 pm

I seen a lot of talk lately about HRT for men. I have no depression or lethargy and a healthy interest in sex. However, I am 56 and don't need a screening to know that my testosterone levels are much lower than they were as a young man. Thank God! It's nice to be able to think of something other than sex every 5 minutes. Anyway, it strikes me as unnatural to adjust something in my body that may be occuring naturally and maybe for good reason. For instance, I read that older men have less of a risk of prostate cancer killing them than younger men because prostate cancer feeds on testosterone. I've also heard that regluar sleep, good nutition and exercise can naturally raise T levels. I'm wondering about your thoughts.
What have you learned? Are you pro HRT, con or undecided?
thebigfish

mom210
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Re: Hormone Replacement Therapy for men- Pro or Con?

Postby mom210 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Most dr feel that if you do not have problems, and or symptoms of low T and your T levels are not horribly low thenyou don't need to do anything......but if they are low, you do need to keep an eye on them because jusst because you don;t have suy0pmotms or problmes with low t now..doesn't mean ypou won't later.

My dh had depression, muscle aches ( too many to just attribute to old age), high cholesterol, HBP, almost NO sex drive, trouble concentrating and finishing projects and a lot of fatugue later in the day...when tested his levels were 180...way way too low...the dr was concerned about his symptoms , of course, but just as concerned for his risk of osteoporosis, and cardic problems that can result from low T....

as far as prostate cancer...if you qalready have the cells for cancer..then higher than normal levels of testosterone can help them to grow...since they can "feed" off of T....but using TRT will not cause prostate cancer....check out some of the newer studies..

all aI know is that my dh is feeling so much better since he began treatment....
he just thoght that all those aches and pains were part of growing old..not so...and now that he has normal levels for his age he can really see and feel the difference..
and take mnote ,,,I said normal levels for his age...he does not havethe levels or a normal teenager or a man in his 20's..he has normal levelsfor a 50 yr old now

thebigfish
King bed

Postby thebigfish » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 pm

take note ,,,I said normal levels for his age...he does not havethe levels or a normal teenager or a man in his 20's..he has normal levelsfor a 50 yr old now

Thanks, 210. That makes sense. I've heard differing opinions on HRT for women. None of the women in my family or who are our close friends have had it and have aged quite well. Some have active sex lives well into their 60's. I've only heard of HRT for men recently.
thebigfish

mom210

Postby mom210 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:01 pm

thebigfish wrote:
take note ,,,I said normal levels for his age...he does not havethe levels or a normal teenager or a man in his 20's..he has normal levelsfor a 50 yr old now

Thanks, 210. That makes sense. I've heard differing opinions on HRT for women. None of the women in my family or who are our close friends have had it and have aged quite well. Some have active sex lives well into their 60's. I've only heard of HRT for men recently.

bigfish...HRT is not just for aging well...but for health...my mother has always been very "proud",hat she has never had to use hormones..even after going through menopausse...but she has constantly suffered from depression and anxiety ( this can be a side effect of a hormonal imbalance) and last week had to go to the dr with a prolapsed baldder ( her baldder has dropped and it coming out) the dr told her that it is many times caused by a lack of estrogen in older women and he has now put her on estrogen and will be doing surgery Thursday...so there are a lot of things to be considiered.

Ulysses61
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 14th, 1979

Postby Ulysses61 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Thebigfish.. you are misunderstanding HRT. You obviously never had a naturally low t. level, nor do you now. If your t. level was 900 at 30, it's probably about 650 or 675 now in your 50's, if not higher. Don't fix what ain't broke. :D All men's t. levels diminish very slowly over the years. The problem are men who did not think about sex every 5 minutes at 18 and had t. levels of, say, 500 then.. and then they diminish to 200-300 by the time they're 50.

Forget about sleep, natural supplements or anything else rising your t. levels when you are critically low. Those men need HRT. Unless you're a man who suffers from this dreadful malady or are a wife who has lived through it, you can have no conception what it's like. It's agony. Feel blessed you don't have this problem.

blushingwife
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 14th, 1997

Postby blushingwife » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 pm

I honestly believed that only teenagers thought about sex often.
At least, I was going by what DH told me about being like that as a teen. It was the only time he kept thinking about sex, and I don't een think he meant every 5 minutes.
I just assumed it was the same for all men... then again, how come I as a woman thought about sex so much?
Now we know why: we just found out that DH has very low T levels - lower than those of an old man.

He spends a lot of his days fighting fatigue, feels foggy, has a hard time mustering motivation... The words "I am sorry, but I am too tired" are words that make me scream inside because I hear them so often. And they are used about so many things. DH hates these words even more than I do, but nothing he does helps and his frustration keeps mounting.
Irritability, excessive worrying, and ED are new unwelcome additions...

If low libido were the only problem, we could work around it. It is just the other [edit] that makes life so difficult. He has been trying to tackle his feeling unwell through exercise, more sleep, supplements... nothing helps. Now I wonder whether his ADHD diagnosis was not overstated too, because not even Ritalin seems to be helping anymore.

Anyway, it sucks and it is real. I wish it were not so, but when T levels are really low, life becomes very difficult for you and the people around you.

thebigfish
King bed

Postby thebigfish » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:49 am

This is an eye opener. I didn't realize that low T could cause such problems. Could y'all give me the age at which you are encountering this. Do you think that there's anything that could have been done early on to avoid this or is it just genetic?
i also wonder how many men suffer from this and don't know what it is. Like I said, I've only heard of this problem recently. I suspect that 40 years ago, just as many men had it but didn't know what was bothering them. I've notice that almost all men my age haave a degree of weight gain around the belly and or chest. I've got some myself. How much weight gain ( metabolic syndrome ) have you noticed?
thebigfish

blushingwife
Under the stars

Postby blushingwife » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:47 am

DH is only 33. Things have been going down hill with his energy and mood since 2005 I think. Ed and libido issues have been happening for the past 2 years.
He is slender and until this past year always had flat abs: now there is an obvious little belly and he is always feeling softer on the chest and sides. Only since he got the T results back did he think that the change in his body is probably what thy call "loss if muscle mass"
Considering he is so young, maybe his T issues are genetic.

mom210

Postby mom210 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:49 am

thebigfish wrote:This is an eye opener. I didn't realize that low T could cause such problems. Could y'all give me the age at which you are encountering this. Do you think that there's anything that could have been done early on to avoid this or is it just genetic?
i also wonder how many men suffer from this and don't know what it is. Like I said, I've only heard of this problem recently. I suspect that 40 years ago, just as many men had it but didn't know what was bothering them. I've notice that almost all men my age haave a degree of weight gain around the belly and or chest. I've got some myself. How much weight gain ( metabolic syndrome ) have you noticed?

First off, there are two kinds of hypogonadism ( Low T) . There is primary..centered in the testes..the testicles just do not work efficiently any more...and secondary, where the testes shut down from either pituitary dmage or thyriod imbalances..
My dh is primary..this was determined to be the case after testing his pituitary and his thyroid. We do not know why his testes shut down..but we feel it was just a gradual lose of function.

My dh was never overly sexual..even as a teen, he enjoyed sexual things, but not to the extent that most teen boys seem to..and after we married, within a few months , after the "newness" wore off, we were down to a sexual frequency of about 3 times a month...at this point he was 21 years old...byt the time dh was in his 30's are frequency had dropped to about 1-2 every 4-6 weeks. He was also experincing depression...majorly, and was very unmovitavted and unfocused..he would be enthused and begin a projet and then interest would wane in it and it was a major struggle to get it completed. He was diagnosed as having ADHD and depression and put on meds. As for weight..he was never a very big man....and as he aged he did get some small 'love handles" but never got fat..
My dh was finally diagnosed at age 47. By this point he had almost NO sex drive and we were being intimate about once every 6 weeks.
so as you can see, it was a rather gradual but very apparent progression..IF we had only known what we were looking at.

blushingwife
Under the stars

Postby blushingwife » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:19 am

BigFish,

Here is a questionaire to help diagnose testosterone deficiency.
DH scores above 50 at the moment.

thebigfish
King bed

Postby thebigfish » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 am

Thanks, blushingwife. I scored a 20.
thebigfish

thisbejoe7
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 1998

Postby thisbejoe7 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:49 am

Is it possible for a low T man to experience a strong sex drive but have most all of the other symptoms? I scored a 42! Yikes!
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."....Kung Fu Panda
---
Married 14 years to the first girl I ever dated, touched, kissed...well first everything! We have 3 kids (2 DD 1 DS Ages 7 - 12).

mom210

Postby mom210 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:16 am

blushingwife wrote:BigFish,

Here is a questionaire to help diagnose testosterone deficiency.
DH scores above 50 at the moment.

At his worst..dh would have scored a 56 on this...( I called and asked him the questions)

mom210

Postby mom210 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:16 am

thisbejoe7 wrote:Is it possible for a low T man to experience a strong sex drive but have most all of the other symptoms? I scored a 42! Yikes!

yes, you may have all or just some of the symptoms.

Dale

Postby Dale » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:36 am

I knew something was wrong -- and after taking this test I immediately put a call into a doctor. I had my T tested a few months back, and it came in at around 350 (with free-T levels low normal as well). The doctor I had pretty much poo-pooed doing anything about it, but my drive has been crashing again the last two months. I took the questionnaire and came in at 52 -- so I hope this doc I called today does something about it! At 47 years old, I should not be feeling this way!! :evil:

Dale

thisbejoe7
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 28th, 1998

Postby thisbejoe7 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am

mom210 wrote:yes, you may have all or just some of the symptoms.

WOW - I think I am going to bring this up to my Doc the next time I go in for a checkup. Last time I went I got the speech about what I had to look forward to after 30. He didn't mention anything about having hormone levels checked. And I honestly never really thought about it until reading this thread and others like it regarding T levels. There may be nothing wrong with mine, but even so, I'm going to check it out. DW and I are done having kids so no worries there (barring miraculous acts from God) and I've had a vasectomy so HRT is no sweat for me should that ever be needed.
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it."....Kung Fu Panda
---
Married 14 years to the first girl I ever dated, touched, kissed...well first everything! We have 3 kids (2 DD 1 DS Ages 7 - 12).

Ulysses61
Queen bed

Postby Ulysses61 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:58 am

There is so much more to low testosterone levels than merely not being horny anymore for the man. The depressed mood... the lethargy.. the pessimism, the lack of drive. Just a general pervasive malaise. It's like a black cloud over the man in many respects. And of course that cloud will eventually envelop the wife as well, and all those around him.

I wish my husband had had HRT at age 33. It would have saved us 13 years of a basically celibate marriage with a man with virtually no sex drive. The difference Androgel or Testim will make on your DH will amaze you. In my case, we went from having sex once every 3-4 months to having it 10+ times a week. Hallelujah!

Ulysses61
Queen bed

Postby Ulysses61 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:24 am

Clay, there are quite a few low t. tests out there on the Internet and this one was by far the best. It really zeros in on the problems and seems to truly give an accurate result. Best of luck to you!

thebigfish
King bed

Postby thebigfish » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:27 am

Anyone have a guess as to how much of the general male population suffers from this?
How much of this do you think could be attributed to diet, exercise, sedentary lifestyle?
I guess I'm still kinda surprised at how much this is a problem. Sorry, If I sound insensitive. :oops: I guess I'm just clueless.
thebigfish

Ulysses61
Queen bed

Postby Ulysses61 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am

It's genetic. However, that doesn't mean that if your daddy or granddaddy had it, you will get it. It's just random in the population, according to the three endocronologists we talked to. According to the medial literature I have read, approx. 10-12% of men have this, and that isn't counting those who develop low t. after the age of 50 when it declines more rapidly.

There is very little corrolation between diet, weight and exercise and t. levels. IOW, a marathon runner is super fit but will not have higher t. levels than 300 pound men out there. I see this over and over on various Internet Boards: the erroneous conception that diet and exercise will somehow magically raise t. levels to any marked degree. Maybe by 20 points, but that is nothing. There are plenty of obese men out there with t. levels in the stratesphere.

A 20 year old man who is super sexual, aggressive, hard-driving and maniacally ambitious will generally still have a high t. level at 50, 60 and beyond... it's the sweet, gentle, easy-going 20 year old man that will be more prone to suffering low t. as his levels gradually diminish with age. It's because his t. levels were lower to begin with.

Return to “Senior Sex”