Pros and Cons of the Different Testosterone Treatments

Aging brings changes - some good, some not so much.
Psalm33
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 3rd, 1998

Postby Psalm33 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 am

I've been diagnosed with Low T at my yearly physical. I'm 56 and still have a good sex life, but I've definitely noticed some differences in the past year. I'm also generally lethargic, somewhat depressed, easily winded even though I seem to be in pretty good shape and not overweight, and I find it hard to complete a task. I seem to have a lot of the classic symptoms. My doctor, who is a Christian and a good friend, is very conservative and I'm sure he will help me make a wise decision concerning how to proceed.

I'm just wondering who is currently taking Low T meds, which ones you've tried, positive and negative feelings about the different types of treatments, costs, ie, gels, injections, creams, pellets. I understand my mileage may vary. Looking forward to your responses.

Dale
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.

Re: Pros and Cons of the Different Testosterone Treatments

Postby Dale » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am

Androgel 1.62 here. I love it, although I know other guys have not gotten the results with it that I have. I like the fact that it's a gel that goes on clear and dries quickly and I can feel the effects almost instantly. It's made a huge difference for me the past couple of years, and I will never go back to the way I was before (I even credit it with helping me heal faster after my heart surgery)!

Dale

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the quick response, Dale! What are the negatives to the gel? The oddest part seems to be the aspect of not having any one touch that area and having to shower before others make contact with it. Is it expensive? I have a high deductible so it will all be out of pocket. How long before you notice results?

Shipguy
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 1st, 1980
Location: Picture a cartoon thought bubble with a heavy scribble mark inside

Postby Shipguy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 am

I am 52 and some. In Nov 11 I was diagnosed with low T - 325ish, and I was having occasional (maybe one in 4 times) problems either getting interested or lasting. :wink: I was on Testim cream from November - May. Though eventually I felt like I had more energy and had less problems, I never felt the big kick that a lot of folks talk about. At my May checkup, my T had actually fallen to less than 200. We switched over to shots - every two weeks for three shots, and then once a month. After the first three shots - lots of energy and noooooooooo problems - unless you call reacting to DW on sight a problem. :wink: :wink:

Testim for me was $75/mo for me and when I got checked in May they wanted me to double dose - at $150/mo - no way.
Shots for me are $25 per, no mess, no smell, no stickyness.
If you feel you need to tell someone how wise you are,
they probably already know.

librarian
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 2nd, 1971

Postby librarian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am

I'm 62. Last year, T. was found to be at 92, so was put on Androgel 1.0. Last month, T was at 326, which I see from others, is still considered low. My reaction is, "If this is what low T is like, I'd hate to see what I was like with high T!"
I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the exterminator. - Emo Phillips

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks, guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Shipguy, it sounds like the cream was working but it was slowly working and not pleasant. I've heard the shots work quicker sounds like that was true for you as well.

Librarian, how long did it take for you to notice a difference. I'm not just talking about sex, either. It sounds like that was the change over a year, which I would think is substantial. I "ain't no doctor" so I have nothing to base that statement on... Maybe you've been at the improved level for six months. Do you know?

My T level is 281. I go in for a second visit with my Dr. next Friday. I appreciate your input.

DeepSouth
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 16th, 1984

Postby DeepSouth » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Just a quick response - I'm in the middle of a post on my experience on getting Testopol pellets "installed" :lol: this past Tuesday. I've been on gel, injections and now pellets in the last 6 months. I should be able to post more this weekend.

(No, the pellet install didn't really hurt after the first pain killer injection. Yes, I'm still pretty sore ) :-)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain.

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Installation of pellets... Yikes, did they have to put you up on a car lift? That sounds harsh.

librarian
Under the stars

Postby librarian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Psalm33 wrote:Librarian, how long did it take for you to notice a difference. I'm not just talking about sex, either. It sounds like that was the change over a year, which I would think is substantial. I "ain't no doctor" so I have nothing to base that statement on... Maybe you've been at the improved level for six months. Do you know?

I had been suffering from ED for a couple of months, but after about a 3 week period, I started to be able to O again. I do notice that if I stop the Androgel, while waiting for the next prescription, there can be a small 'back-sliding,' but it usually doesn't take as long for me to get ramped back up to normal, again.

There was a couple of hitches in the past year, but we think that what might have happened is that the lab really screwed up a couple of blood tests.

May, 11 - 92
August, 11 - 115
October, 11 - 36 - 36????? (probably botched it)
Feb., 12 - the lab forgot to check T!!!
May, 12 - 326. (new lab!!)

So we think it was on the rise in August (I had started in June), but it took until last month to get a confirmation of it.
I was sleeping the other night, alone, thanks to the exterminator. - Emo Phillips

SquarePants
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 pm

The women have a sub-forum for Menopause, but the men don’t have one for andropause. Should one be created? I was planning to start a thread called “What’s your testosterone treatment?" but I haven't gotten around to it.

Testosterone Levels: Pre Treatment and during treatment
Method/Dose/Frequency: gel, pellet/implant, intramuscular injection, subcutaneous injection
Cost
Satisfaction with treatment, status of symptoms now

For me:
Symptoms: Physical and mental fatigue. Fuzzy brained and hard to concentrate or sleep. Physically weak. Surprisingly, my libido was still high and I’ve never had problems with performance.
EDIT: I've also been gaining weight, especially around my belly, which has been impossible to loose.

Testosterone Levels Before: They eventually dipped slightly below 300, and my GP’s office called to tell me that “everything was normal.” Yeah, right.

Method/Dose/Frequency:
A trial with Androgel didn’t go well. At 2 pumps/day, my total testosterone when down and I felt worse. SHBG levels increased. At 4/pumps/day, my levels went down further and I felt even worse.

I am currently taking
250 IU HCG twice a week
0.30 mg Testosterone (Cypionate) subcutaneous injection twice a week
0.5 Arimidex 2-3 times/week (we’re still tweaking this)

Testosterone Levels: Total Testosterone was 619 while taking 0.25 mg twice/week and before I started taking Arimidex. It hasn’t been measured since we testosterone was increased to 0.30 twice/week.

Cost: I think that it’s under $50/month for the medication.

Satisfaction with treatment, status of symptoms now:I feel MUCH better than before. I feel like I’m almost, but not quite where I want to be. However, I’m sleeping better, exercising more, and thinking better.
Last edited by SquarePants on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:42 pm

I've had some problems concentrating and drifting off the subject. I hadn't really connected that with low t.

yard1
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 28th, 1913

Postby yard1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:56 pm

removed by poster at his request
Last edited by yard1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arogen

Postby Arogen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm on the gel, once it dries you don't have to worry about it, I put it on my abs (sadly it has not transformed them into a 6 pack) and I don't go around shirtless much so it's no big deal. When that area gets wet again in the shower or whatever it is a little slippery like you just put some on. I can hardly smell it but DW notices it a lot and doesn't like it so I'll put it on in the bathroom and by the time I done the other stuff it is dry and doesn't bother her.

I'm on 6 pumps a day so it would be fairly expensive if I didn't have a drug plan. I heard there is a patch as well but don't know of anybody who uses one.

Dale

Postby Dale » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:42 am

Psalm33 wrote:Thanks for the quick response, Dale! What are the negatives to the gel? The oddest part seems to be the aspect of not having any one touch that area and having to shower before others make contact with it. Is it expensive? I have a high deductible so it will all be out of pocket. How long before you notice results?

I really have not noticed any negatives at all for me. I was at 350 when I convinced the doc that I needed to start it, and I'm now in the high 500s.

I put mine on in the morning after my shower, and it dries within 5 minutes, and then I put a shirt on. My DW has never had any problems with contact with it at all. At night, she likes to lay on the shoulder that I put the gel on, but again, no problems as by that time it is all absorbed.

There is a card you can get for the 1.62 that has taken my cost down to $10 a month. I'm on 6 pumps a day, and that is a great level that was arrived at by some trial and error.

I noticed the results immediately! It was like coming out of a mental black hole! I had felt like the world was beginning to close in on me and that there was a dark "tunnel" that was slowly closing down on my head. After my first treatment with Androgel, within 10 minutes I felt the tunnel lift, and I had more energy than I knew what to do with! That "high" lasted about a week for me, and then I began to settle in to a nice energy level.

I had ED, which I did continue to struggle with after being on the gel, though. But for me, come to find out that the ED was due to heart and circulatory problems. After a quadruple bypass back in February, things are working much better now!! :D

Dale

librarian
Under the stars

Postby librarian » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:39 am

Dale wrote:There is a card you can get for the 1.62 that has taken my cost down to $10 a month. I'm on 6 pumps a day, and that is a great level that was arrived at by some trial and error.

Card? What card? I'm at $30.00 per perscription, and it last maybe close to a month, but not quite.

golfwidow
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 6th, 1978

Postby golfwidow » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:33 am

things are working much better now!!

::praise

mom210
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Postby mom210 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:50 am

Dh has been on TRT for over 4 years now..at first it was Testim.. and with insurance it costs us $40 a month...
then we lost our insurance.. and dh began using compounded cream ....it cost us $31 with OUT insurance ..so that is not a bad expense at all.
Dh feels totally different on TRT so much better.. when he first began treatment his levels were at 180... he began with a small dose and soon after his own production fell and so his levels dipped lower.. which is normal..so he was told by the dr to double th dose..which is also pretty standard treatment... with the new dose he has done very well with levels in the 650 to 750 range.
We have had no trouble with transference as the gel/ and or cream... absorbs quickly and so after a couple of hours the risk is so minimal as to be non existent.

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:14 am

It sounds like the cost is somewhere around or below $50 per month, regardless of the type of treatment. Like mom210 said, I have found since I pay cash for most things in the medical world I usually get a discount.

mrvan
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 29th, 2000

Postby mrvan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:49 am

I have to take additional pills along with the T shots, Estrodim being the main one to prevent the T from turning into estrogen. Also saw palmetto. These add into the costs.

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:50 am

Anyone had any luck with natural supplements alone? I already take saw palmetto. My dad had prostate cancer and I'm mostly taking it just in case it might help.
Last edited by Psalm33 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Senior Sex”