Pros and Cons of the Different Testosterone Treatments

Aging brings changes - some good, some not so much.
hubbyforher
King bed

Re: Pros and Cons of the Different Testosterone Treatments

Postby hubbyforher » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Psalm33 wrote:Got a prescription for Androgel 1.62 today. Costs... $268 per month with the $50 discount card! That's a car payment, for a really nice car. I gave it back and called my doctor. He's going to put me on Axiron instead, $25 per month. I've checked around this forum and most claim little or no success with it. Has anyone here had success with Axiron? Maybe I'll just buy a new car! A Corvette is bound to increase my testosterone.

I'm sorry to hear it's so much. Ask your doc about testosterone injections. I'm guessing 100-150mg per week (one injection per week), should be less expensive. And some docs will allow you to do the shot yourself... it's not difficult.
MORE COWBELL!!

MI-SPELLERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!

golfwidow
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 6th, 1978

Postby golfwidow » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm

$268 per month with the $50 discount card!
:shock:

Crikey I might knock our NHS but at least prescriptions over here are only £7.65, approx $12

mom210
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 2nd, 1978

Postby mom210 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 am

You need to check into a compounded cream.. it can be mixed by the pharmacist..and since it is "generic" it is much cheaper

Psalm33
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 3rd, 1998

Postby Psalm33 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:37 am

Thanks for the advice ya'll! Everyone seems to have their favorite. I mentioned earlier that Axiron seems to be next on the agenda. Dr. said it would be about $25 per month.

I was wondering today, since I felt a little better than usual, if sex improved the testosterone level. After ML last night I feel better today and maybe that's because my body is trying to replace the testosterone that was depleted last night. Just wild speculation on my part. That has not always been true after ML since we do the deed 3x a week, you would think I would have noticed before. I do feel better though and it was unexpected. Thank you Lord for little blessings!

Hopefully I'll start Axiron Monday.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:41 am

I see that you have come up with a plan already. I had this post recommending injections already composed, so am posting it anyway FWIW. I also address issues that apply to testosterone supplimentation in general.

-----

I use injections. It is the only thing I have ever used, but can't understand why anyone would use anything else. It's the most effective, most convenient, and least inexpensive.

With creams or gels, you never know how much is being absorbed. You read here about guys having to increase their dosages, try different brands, etc. With injections, you know exactly how much is being absorbed -- all of it. In reading most of the posts on this topic over the last couple of years, I don't recall anyone switching from injections to something else.

The cost is about $5 per week, including syringes and needles. The pain ranges from non-existant to minor. It takes a bit of nerve to jab myself but I can do it. It is easier just to let DW do it. In the two years I have beem taking it there have been two or three times when the needle hit a nerve and it was painful. Not bad, but worse than the typical briar-stick feeling.

The usual criticism of shots is fluxuation of testosterone levels between shots. I do it weekly, and noticed some fluxuation at first. The low times weren't bad -- just the erections weren't as reliable, but usually enough to get the job done. We would move the injections around a day or two if we had a screw date planned to compensate. After about 6-9 months I noticed no fluxuaion. One could always take it twice-weekly. Then there is no way you would notice any fluxuation.

Also, I think shots take the longest to take effect. A month to notice a definite improvment, and two to realize the bulk of the benefit.

Pellets would actually win the convenience prize. However, they are expensive, painful, and cannot be removed. They do not show up on X-rays. If you get too much, you are screwed -- you have to wait until the pellets disolve. Also, they are not sterile, so there is a risk of infection.

As for your testicles shutting down, thatmay be prevented with conservative dosages. Mine have not shrunk, and their output has actually increased. I was around 700, but was 800 on my last test. I cut the dose by 20% and am still fine. You want your nuts producing as much as they will. It is more natural and normal-feeling. If we are concentrating on sex and our marriage and I'm feeling the love, I can go 4 times in 24 hours. If the situation doesn't call for it, I can go two or three days without it.

And be sure to take zinc & copper. The Zinc slows conversion of testosterone to estrogen. The zinc depletes copper, so take that too. I also take DIM.

All the best!
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:52 am

Ledgemoor, I appreciate your time and trouble. Believe me, the verdict is not in yet on what I'll end up with. I've had two days on Axiron now and all is well, but who knows what the future holds. Just based on what I know so far I think I would have chosen injections but my dr. said the disadvantage to shots is the gap between shots, which I don't think would be a big deal as you stated. Anyway, I can understand how Axiron or Androgel gives you a more consistent dosage. Definitely more action involved though.

I'm chillin' with this now. We'll see how it works over time. More affordable. $25 per month. 8)

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm

You're most welcome. Glad you went ahead and did something. So many guys (including me) drug their feet way too long. The Axiron price is super -- glad to see someone giving Androgel some competition. You wouldn't believe how cheap that stuff is to make.

All the best to the new hornier and fitter you that will be emerging!

ETA that you best use what your doctor is on-board with. Mine recommended injections of course. Had I said "no, I prefer gel", he would have given it to me, but if there were problems he would not have been as inclined to work with me in resolving them. They all work well for the most part.
Last edited by ledgemoor on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

manygoodyears
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1979

Postby manygoodyears » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:15 pm

I was on Axiron for nearly 2 months & then got tested--145. So now I'm on shots, but every 2 weeks instead of every 4. I'm hoping it works out better.

Psalm33
Double

Postby Psalm33 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:12 am

Update! My testosterone level is 1100! Axiron is still the treatment I'm using and apparently it is working. I've definitely experienced an increase in energy, but my libido has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Somedays I could have done the deed two or three times and then I'll go for three days with very little desire. My doctor told me to give it three months to kind of settle down. Anyway, it's way better than it was. My biggest negative with the treatment is the underarm application. It's very difficult to do it without any drips or runs.

Thanks for all the encouragement and personal stories! They've really helped. Blessings on you all!

texashubby
Queen bed

Postby texashubby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 pm

An excellent online article about testosterone supplementation after prostate cancer. (Harvard Medial School)

<http://www.harvardprostateknowledge.org/testosterone-supplementation-after-prostate-cancer>

Return to “Senior Sex”