Progesterone?

Erectile disfunction, premature ejaculation, delayed orgasm, etc.
Earl
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 11th, 1987

Progesterone?

Postby Earl » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm still struggling with symptoms that include ED, reduced libido and some periods where an orgasm doesn't include the usual "euphoria" although it still feels great from the physical stimulation and release side, not to mention the bonding with DW. :D

Update: more research on MB and I learned that this is called ejaculatory anhedonia! I knew there had to be a name for it. I'll see what I can learn at ejaculatoryanhedonia.com

My endo has been focusing on my high estradiol (49 initially (39 pg/mL being listed as the top of the "normal" range), down to 42 with 2 mg of anastrozole/week). I get a blood test tomorrow to see if 3 mg/week is pushing it down some more although my endo suggested that I focus on how I feel vs. what the blood test shows. Other symptoms such as periods of moodiness have been reduced. T has been around the 1000/160 range (total/free), so I'm right at what is considered at top of the normal range there.

I've read some material on men using a topical progesterone cream with at least some reporting positive things in the libido and ED area. Any knowledge/experience there? I plan to discuss with my endo PA in a few weeks to get her take, but any knowledge and experience you can offer would be appreciated.

Earl

justsomeguy
Double
Date of your marriage (past or future): January 1st, 1998

Re: Progesterone?

Postby justsomeguy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Please keep posting. I've had symptoms similar to yours.

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:55 am

Years ago I went to a lecture by Dr. John Lee, a big proponent of progesterone supplementation for women and men. I am on testosterone, and have wondered if progesterone would help keep estrogen under control.

http://vitascriptrx.com/progesterone-for-men/
It also seems to be a natural way to handle prostate enlargement.

I ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Proges ... 837&sr=8-1
It is supposed to be here today. I am going to take half the recommended dosage for women.

I'll let you know. At least it will be fun applying it, especially if I can get DW to do it :lol:
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Earl
Double

Postby Earl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:07 pm

I just started something similar, also from Amazon. Will be eager to see what your results are compared to mine. Interesting reading at the vitascriptrx link.

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:57 am

So how's it going Earl? I've been taking progesterone for 3 weeks now, and am very pleased with the results.

A day after I tool the first dose, we had a good long lovemaking session, and I was rock-hard thru the whole thing. DW commented I hadn't been that hard that consistently in years. Another big improvement was that I had lots of preejaculate. Ever since I developed ED issues, and even after I went on testosterone, I never produced as much preejaculate as before. My performance gain was not due to unusual emotional closeness between us. Something changed. I hoped it wasn't a fluke.

The next day I was raring to go again so we did it. I lost my erection during PIV, just before I went over the edge. But I managed to masturbate without much problem.

I was taking half of a woman's dose, 10 mg per day. DW is on bHRT also, and suggested I reduce my dose further. So I am taking about 5 mg per day -- just a dab on my testicles twice a day. Sure enough, in a couple days I was raring to go. I have a higher drive now, and have not missed a day in the past week. Erections are good and I continue to have good preejaculate production.

I never had severe problems with urine flow, but it is better now. I noticed a fair amount of improvement after taking the progesterone for a few days, and it continues to improve slowly. I can pee with a partial erection now.

I did increase my testosterone dose from 160mg to 200mg per week about a week before starting the progesterone. My doctor prescribed 200mg/week, but at the time I didn't need it. When problems developed, I started taking the prescribed 200mg dose, but I got worse, so I went back to 160. I didn't have any symptoms of high estrogen, but who knows, I could have developed them if I stayed on the increased dose long enough. So Progesterone should be investigated as a means of estrogen control.

I have not had any side effects. DW thought I might feel more relaxed, but I don't. Another female friend warned that I might start acting PMSy :lol:. I haven't. I forgot to take it and got a little headache, which is unusual for me. I took the progesterone and it went away within a couple hours, but it may have been a coincidence. I have forgotten a couple times since with no ill effects.

I'll let you know how I am doing in the weeks ahead.
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

justsomeguy
Double

Postby justsomeguy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Hey LM,

You say you're applying 5mg but the amazon Q&A area states that each pump provides a 20mg dose. How are you managing to dial that down to 5?

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Re: RE: Re: Progesterone?

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:27 pm

I did a whole pump first -- made a ribbon on a piece of paper. I looked at the volume and estimated from there.

Earl
Double

Postby Earl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:53 pm

LM:
Great to hear of your good results. I didn't see any noticeable differences. I tried 1/2 a pump twice a day and about a week of a full pump twice a day before discontinuing. I did notice that I seemed to gain a bit of weight. It wasn't necessarily fat as I have been working out hard, but I did get a few pounds over what I like to maintain and it seemed to go nowhere even when I worked on it. So I stopped about a week ago. I plan to drop it for a month or so and try again until what I have is used up. Maybe our cases are different since I'm not on TRT and my T is at the high end of the range on it's own. I hate that I'm having the issues as DW has had a real awakening!! Still great (praise the Lord!) though. ::al

Let me know if you have any more findings. Thanks for the feedback.

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:34 am

Hey Earl:

Thanks for the update. Sorry it hasn't helped. If your testosterone is OK, maybe your progesterone is too. I suppose you could order a test from discountedlabs.com to see if you are in the ballpark.

But, I think you are taking way too much. Mine delivers 20mg per pump, with a recommended dosage of 1 or two pumps per day, for WOMEN. See my last post.

It is still working. Get this: My testicles are growing! ::clap Someone here told me, in a nice way, that I need to grow a pair. So there you go :D. I never had problems of shrinkage from TRT. It must mean that my natural production has increased. I decreased my testosterone back to 160mg per week.

Dosage seems to be fairly critical however. I was two days late for my testosterone and had a misfire. Then I accidentally got a half-pump of progesterone, and went ahead and used it rather than throw it away. I was fine the next day and three days later still can't keep my hands (and penis) and eyes off her. I have been rotating application sites, which I think is helping. I am running into the same problems that guys who use testosterone cream inevitably run into -- lack of absorption. I guess getting it in injectable form is asking too much. I'll see the compounding pharmacist in a few days and will ask.

Urine flow is fine now. There isn't any room for improvement.

justsomeguy
Double

Postby justsomeguy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 am

I've added this to my regimen. Not sure if it's coincidental with my increased Anastrozole dropping my estrodial but it sure seems like the progesterone is bringing me back to where I felt as a younger man, how shall I say this, "libido from the boys" type of tingly feeling. Love it!

DON'T love that my wife had to have a hysterectomy so any intercourse is still off the table for a long while :'(

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Wed May 03, 2017 7:48 am

I am still using progesterone with excellent results. I found out that injectable is available. My lab can't do it because they don't have a sterile room, but they told me where I can get it. That way I can experiment to get the optimum dosage. I am getting my progesterone levels checked too.

JustSomeGuy: Sorry to hear about the hysterectomy. DW had one and it was a nightmare. Does she still have her ovaries? Praying for quick recovery. We had to wait 10 weeks. NOTHING sexual -- not even cuddling, for the first two weeks of that.

justsomeguy
Double

Postby justsomeguy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 am

ledgemoor wrote:I am still using progesterone with excellent results. I found out that injectable is available.

Curious: what makes you want to inject as opposed to using the cream?

ledgemoor wrote:JustSomeGuy: Sorry to hear about the hysterectomy. DW had one and it was a nightmare. Does she still have her ovaries?

She does still have her ovaries but they did take the fallopian tubes and cervix. Interestingly in her case, her surgeon said she could have "manual" O's but no oral or (obviously) any penetration of any kind for 6 weeks. 2 more to go ::arg

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 am

Injections give more accurate dosing. You never need to wonder how much is getting absorbed. Also convenience. My testosterone is actually testosterone cypionate, which breaks down into bioavaliable testosterone over time, so I only have to inject once a week. Whether or not I can get progesterone cypionate or the equivalent, I don't know. If not I will have to inject every day. But doing it subcutaneously is about as painful as swallowing a pill.

Glad your wife is doing well and that she has options for orgasming. So glad she has her ovaries.

justsomeguy
Double

Postby justsomeguy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 am

I like your pioneering ways ledgemoor. Keep us posted what happens!

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks!

I just got my lab results back. My progesterone is 0.3 ng/mL, with a reference range of 0.0 to 0.5. So I am definitely in the ballpark. I might up it a bit to see what happens. I don't trust those ranges. The low normal for testosterone is 348, which would barely keep your penis from falling off. And ZERO is normal for progesterone???? I don't think so.

Total testosterone is 880, which is up from what it normally is (700 - 800).

My doctor's appt is not until July. I'll report back then unless there are developments in the meantime.

Earl
Double

Postby Earl » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I have another update, with a recent lab & trip to the Endo. The PA I was seeing moved on so I saw a Dr. this time. My numbers were:
T - total/free - 1281/164
Estradiol - 42

He was more concerned about the high T & E than the PA had been (she was not too concerned as long as the symptoms were addressed with the anastrozole). I had a testicle ultrasound yesterday to see if anything is going on there, with another blood test before my late Aug. follow-up visit.

Progesterone wasn't included in the blood test and I've not used any more of the supplement lately. I continue to workout hard and have improved my diet somewhat. No weight loss although I might be putting on a bit of muscle mass. The 6 pack is still hidden by a bit too much fluff around the mid-section! :(

My wife goes to the same Endo and did the same PA to Dr. switch with her last visit. The PA thought DW might have a thyroid issue, but the Dr. said she was fine on that. So we both are getting a different take between the two.

Timberline
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1992

Postby Timberline » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Do you cycle on/off the progesterone cream? Like X days on it then Y days off, or is it daily every day? I know for women they use it in conjunction with where they are on their cycle and not every day.

ledgemoor
Under the stars

Postby ledgemoor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:24 am

Men and postmenopausal women take the same dose every day.

Still working great for me btw.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 pm

I am on a progesterone cream, 100mg/day, which I often forget to take because I'm supposed to put it on at bedtime. That means I have a bunch leftover that I can share with DH. :D He was recently advised to stop injecting his testosterone because of a PSA score spike. :? Even before this, over the last year his prostate enlargement has gotten really bad, interfering with his urine flow and causing frequent urination (like 8-10 times a day).

Anyway, he's been off the T for over a month now and I can see him slipping back into his low-T persona: lethargic, apathetic, tired, zero drive, and great difficulty getting and keeping an erection.

I have been trying to get him to take saw palmetto for his prostate, but since he's already on about 10 different medications, he bristles any time I suggest adding one more for him to swallow in the morning. (I think that's a ridiculous attitude, but oh well.) However, if I could include a dab of progesterone cream (I'm thinking 5 - 10mg) in the occasional "testicular massage" I give him, I don't think he'd object too much. We could both "apply it at bedtime". :wink:

I'm going to start a different thread concerning PSA testing.
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Postby OldMarriedLady » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:40 pm

After some discussion with DH this evening, he allowed me to apply a little progesterone to him tonight at bedtime. Due to him being "au naturale" down below, I decided to put it on his inner thigh rather than the bits so it would absorb better. He asked where I had gotten the information about progesterone and its effect on the prostate, and I said "a couple of guys on the marriage board" which he didn't find all that reassuring. :lol: I told him I had also done other research on the web on reputable websites, so he felt better about it then.

Going on day 11 with no sex ..... :(
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

Return to “Male Orgasm Difficulties/Erectile Dysfunction”