Recovery process from radical or complete prostatectomy.

This section is for men who are or have dealt with prostate cancer.
Forum rules
This section is for men who are or have dealt with prostate cancer. MEN ONLY please. Women may use the prostate cancer (wives) forum. To post in this section you will need to subscribe to a group – see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=41250
shamgar
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): June 8th, 1979

Recovery process from radical or complete prostatectomy.

Postby shamgar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 pm

For the first couple of months after surgery incontinence required a depends full time but with kegels I have slowed down to just wearing a pad in my normal underwear. My three month PSA came back less than .02 or undetectable. Great and a serious praise to our Lord, cancer is all gone. My Gleason score was first thought to be 8 (very aggressive) turned out in the post op biopsy to actually be 7 less aggressive, my lymph nodes came back clear, the cancer was contained in the prostate and caught before it spread. :D Back to the incontinence, the discussion and my doc say in addition to, kegels 3 sets of 10 everyday, the doctors encourage sex, some outright say to masturbate often. I still have a sex drive, not receiving hormone therapy. Not being able to ejaculate is weird. If anyone reads this part of the board,or has or is going through prostate cancer, I would love feed back.

wildross
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Re: Recovery process from radical or complete prostatectomy.

Postby wildross » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm

I had HiFU 2 years ago (nuke it from orbit with ultrasound). So not quite the same process, but similar results.

I agree the no ejaculation is odd. I don't have ED, but also don't have much drive due to other reasons (unwilling partner). Scrotum still hurts, but the urge is not there.

Are you on ADT/hormone shots at the present time?

If you are on Facebook, check out the Prostate Cancer Support Group. You'll have to wait for an approval, but it is pretty helpful group of guys (and their wives/so's)

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:22 am

Shamgar, in the Prostate Health thread, I posted this advice from my urologist, a well-regarded Christian doctor, during a recent conversation regarding my prostate health after years of care for an enlarged prostate with a TUMT procedure and its subsequent impact on my urinary function.

OldBear wrote:He said the following, "You should have an orgasm about three (3) times per week. What we have learned is that the male body sets a thermostat for prostate evacuation at an early age - around 20. Most people assume that as men age that the need for the prostate to be relieved of fluid diminishes; that is not so. In fact, the biological fact is that the prostate needs to be evacuated regularly. As men age, their drive diminishes and they think that it parallels the biological health needs of their prostate. So, you ought to ejaculate three times per week." He then added, "I've encouraged my patients to share this fact with their wives although they probably won't believe you! Nonetheless it's the healthy thing to do and important to prostate health."

He encouraged me to masturbate, if PIV sex is not in the cards, with my DH's full knowledge and agreement - preferably with her. Mrs. Oldbear is very accommodating and it has made a significant difference in eliminating incontinence (virtually none, when I ejaculate frequently). Hopes this helps.

shamgar
Twin size

Postby shamgar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 am

My cancer was aggressive but caught early enough that it was still contained within the prostate surrounding lymph nodes and seminal vessels were clear of cancer, the nerves were spared. My last PSA 3 months post op was less than .02 or undetectable. I still interested in sex, My urine control is to the point I can wear pads, I have found regular orgasms help with gaming better control on my urine leakage. Anyone else have the experience?

beekeeper
California King
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 12th, 1981

Postby beekeeper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 am

My prostate surgery was in 2015. PSA is still undetectable. They removed the nerves. I have full control of urine flow.

shamgar
Twin size

Postby shamgar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:30 pm

I was sort of thinking, wrongly it seems, my libido would drop off. Beekeeper how long before your control was back 100%?

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 pm

I was able to stop wearing a diaper after about 6 weeks.

After that an occasional cough might get some leakage. Maybe 3 or 4 times I wet the bed, out to 4 months.

Graypoet
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 2nd, 1978

Postby Graypoet » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:33 am

I am a 13 year cancer survivor with the gland being removed via a radical prostectomy. At that time robotic surgery was not available. Three of eight needle biopsys samples contained cancer cells. PTL that adjacent tissue samples and lymph nodes were cancer free.

Incontinence was heavy at the start thus pads were used for several years.Kegal exercises helped. If I drink a lot of coffee or have a full bladder I experience a small amount of leakage after these many years. I wear a pad if I wear light colored slacks but often times no pad is worn. The PSA number has been 0.0 since the surgery.

Post surgery in the hospital was a bonding time for my wife and I. I never felt more loved. The marriage bed has been different. I am soon retiring from 40 years of a high stress job and we plan on working on that part of life. I will say that I miss the ejaculation part of sex (I hope that I am not too graphic). The "blue pills" and other meds were used as part of recovery but I hate the side effects. My surgeons advice was use it or loose it. I am looking into a medical grade VED from my urologist as an alternative.

I have reached out to co-workers and friends at church who are dealing with cancer and would like to do more of that as a volunteer during retirement.
Proverbs 5:18-19 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

shamgar
Twin size

Postby shamgar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:04 pm

my wife hates physical intimacy and does not much care for intimacy on other levels either, Feel kind of alone. I am 4 months post RP using one pad during the day one depends at night, still getting better. so very thankful on that point. Some guys I have heard don't ever get out of the diapers.

shamgar
Twin size

Postby shamgar » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Had my six month post surgery check, psa is less than .02 undetectable, no signs of cancer, Praising the Lord with great thankfulness.

beekeeper
California King

Postby beekeeper » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:47 am

shamgar wrote:Had my six month post surgery check, psa is less than .02 undetectable, no signs of cancer, Praising the Lord with great thankfulness.

Congratulations :)

Graypoet
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): September 2nd, 1978

Postby Graypoet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am

Congrats on the good report from the PSA test. Have faith that future tests will have the same results.
Proverbs 5:18-19 Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Return to “Prostate Cancer (men)”