Physical Therapy for Painful Intercourse.

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
Leah
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): November 3rd, 1979

Physical Therapy for Painful Intercourse.

Postby Leah » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:18 pm

My gyn has been suggested physical therapy to me for about three years. I have been going for a few weeks and I can tell a huge difference in the way I feel. Turns out it takes more than kegels to strengthen the pelvis and keep the muscles toned.

In this state it does not require a referral for insurance to pay. Putting this out there for couples who are experiencing pain during intercourse. There is some internal massage and stretching to the therapy as well as exercises to do every day, so it's not something I would recommend for self treatment.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

TMB Copyright and Fair Use

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Re: Physical Therapy for Painful Intercourse.

Postby Job29Man » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:46 am

Leah,

Are there online articles or discussions about this that a person could learn more? I've never heard of PT in this application. In ministry I have come across couples who no longer have any intercourse at all because of pain to the wife. I'd love to provide more information and point them in the right direction for help. As you said, not for self-treatment, but professional PT.
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am

I think there are some online articles. I didn't really do a lot of research because it has been part of an ongoing discussion with my doctor.
Leah

“I have learned now that while those who speak about one's miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.”--C.S. Lewis

ledgemoor
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 3rd, 1982

Postby ledgemoor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:07 am

Can the husband be taught to do the internal madssge?
Everything you ever wanted in life is just outside your comfort zone (Jamie Lee Curtis)

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:13 am

I don't know. You could always ask the PT.
Leah

Elevation
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 5th, 2002

Postby Elevation » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm

I would think a Jade Egg would be of benefit. I found this trainer on Youtube and she is high on pelvic strength while she doesn't offer anything regarding internal massage. I even use her exercises as a male and I have noticed better hips and pelvic strength.

https://www.youtube.com/user/femfusionfitness

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Pelvic strengthening incorporates work on a lot of different muscle groups, including legs, abs, and the caboose. The exercises are not particularly hard, and I like exercise. I'm only able to go to therapy one day a week, but I do them at home all the other days except Sunday because we get up earlier for worship on Sunday. They are coming up with some alternatives because of my advance arthritis. So far I'm not using any special equipment, but I am going to ask for the therapists to show me how to use the pieces I already own to help in what I'm doing now.
Leah

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:52 pm

ledgemoor wrote:Can the husband be taught to do the internal madssge?

I want to revisit this. What I would suggest is that it is probably a better idea to let the therapy happen in the clinical setting. I don't know about your wife, but if Jake were to try to do this there would be no therapy taking place. :lol: The massage and stretching serves a purpose in the appointment, and it facilitates the rest of the exercise and recovery.

I have been once a week for the last four weeks. The therapists feel my therapy is going very well, and they are kind of thinkng I'm almost ready to be released. I'm going to plan for two more appointments then do some follow up work about every three months next year. Pelvic strength helps more than sexuality and I feel like this work will serve me well moving forward.
Leah

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Not only pain free, but better than ever. Just sayin'

If there is pain during intercourse, explore physical therapy for pelvic strength. It really helps. Drugs are not always the answer.
Leah

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

In five weeks, pain levels have gone from 10 (sex impossible) to 7 (some pain) to 3 (low pain). I am going to add four weeks because the therapists think they can get me to 0. This past time was good, with a good orgasm, and I'm still smiling and looking forward to next time.

For the record: I am not a baby about pain. I think I have a learned self-numbing behavior, so I don't feel as much pain as normal people. I am the high-interest, higher-drive spouse, so for sex to be impossible, the pain was very bad.
Leah

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks for sharing this Leah. It's always good to know these kind of resources are out there for future need or to pass the info on to others.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks! Drugs are not cost effective. Pelvic strength is the key. Better orgams, no pain. It's totally worth it. I want to finish up this course and then plan to do a refresher set about every three months just to keep it going.

I have to say, this is a huge encouragement. The pain was prohibitive, and it was depressing to think I would never have sex again. Now I know there is a remedy and I would sure suggest that women keep up with their doctors. I really didn't need a referral, so it's really a choice for most.
Leah

Job29Man
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Postby Job29Man » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 am

I did some websearching. I'm finding "pelvic floor dysfunction." Is that on the right track?
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

Leah
Under the stars

Postby Leah » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 am

That wasn't my diagnosis. But the research might be helpful.
Leah

Return to “Menopause”