Well That Explains It!

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
workerbee
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): July 27th, 1995

Well That Explains It!

Postby workerbee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:46 pm

DH's Testosterone was 350 in November 2016.
This past November (2017) it was 353.
We were moderately happy because it didn't DROP, so we started zinc, boron, vit D and fish oil.

I kept reading TMB, and decided "yes, it's technically in normal ranges, and yes, he is 60. But it is too low".
We discussed it, and he spoke with his Dr to see what treatment he'd be willing to give him (knowing insurance would fight payment, but we are willing to pay outta pocket.)

So Doc ordered labs last week.

Saw Doc for follow up today.

Testosterone is now 289.
Free Testosterone 29.5

I CANNOT believe it dropped THAT much in less than 3 months!

Rx picked up today for Testosterone Cypionate 100mg every 2 weeks with follow up in May.

I know that's a pretty low dose, but I also know we'll be upping it when his body quits making the small amount it currently does.

I am also EXTREMELY proud of my DH for continuing to Up His Game in the Marriage Bed DESPITE having NO hormonal drive.
Sheer WILL ALONE (and my begging, lol) has propelled this man to meet (and many times far exceed!) my needs and desires.
My prayer is now he will FEEL desire instead of taking action from a willing, generous heart.
It hurts me to know this has been so much "work" for him, but it makes me appreciate him all the more.

Props to so many of you for your education to me, it helped us make this journey.

This can be such a tremendous struggle, The Marriage Bed, from whichever side you're on, man/woman, LD/HD.
But this place frames biblical principles along with practical advice.
I thank God for all of you and this wonderful place!

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Re: Well That Explains It!

Postby SeekingChange » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

It's always nice to get answers!
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Ask Doc to put him on twice weekly injections or just do it yourself. Once every 2 weeks is an outdated protocol. It creates peaks and valleys instead of level T levels. Did they check his estradiol? It will go up once he starts TRT. Should use sensitive estradiol test for men. Good luck!

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Yes I believe testosterone has a half life of 7 days. My dh started on once weekly injections and by day 7 was feeling really low so his doctor switched him to 2x a week (same dose just cut in half) I can't imagine every other week.

SquarePants
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I second everything that Hoosier just said.

workerbee
Queen bed

Postby workerbee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 pm

I've read enough here to know once a week is better than every other week.

That is our general plan.

With this very 1st dose I am considering making it the larger loading dose (so to speak) and then next week starting half doses every week.

Later on may break it into twice weekly, but does my initial plan seem sound?

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Large doses can drive estradiol and hematocrit up. Another reason to go twice a week. Some do 3 and some do every day. Your best resource would be ExcelMale website. Top notch info. You can ask your questions there and get sound answers. Dr. Saya from Defy Medical may also chime in.

workerbee
Queen bed

Postby workerbee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks Hoosier52.
We went ahead with the "bolus" tonight and next week we will begin weekly dosing [halving the 2 week dose].

The doc is checking his Hct/Hgb, testosterone, and PSA in May.

I feel better about weekly dosing than every other week.
After a month or so, I bet we move to twice/week.

I've been an RN over 25 years and given countless shots.
I was sooooo nervous giving my DH this first shot tonight!
I read about IM injections and watched a video.
I do this stuff for a living, lol but was nervous as could be!
Kinda funny.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 pm

Don't forget to check the estrogen. I do SubQ shots with 5/16" - 29 gauge needles. Many have gone to SubQ vs IM. Works just as well and less pain. Did you talk to the Doc about HCG? Your husband's testicles will stop producing T because of the TRT and they will shrink and may even become painful. Sperm production will also stop. This may not matter to you or him. I do HCG and I think it also helps with libido and orgasm quality - at least it does for me.

Best wishes.

be64
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): March 25th, 1988

Postby be64 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm

I’m not suggesting anyone should use my protocol but just to give an idea of what a hormone replacement regimen can look like I inject .08 ml testosterone cypionate sub cuteneously every morning. I also inject 125IU HCG every morning SQ. I use a 5/16” 31g .5ml insulin syringe. I take a varying dose of anastrozole but it is generally .25mg once per week.

This results in a stable testosterone level in the upper fourth of the range, an optimal estradiol level and the best sex of my life. I give blood one to two times per year to lower my hematocrit level.
The secret to having everything is believing you already do!

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”