Dull Needles?

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
reillyj
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 7th, 1981

Dull Needles?

Postby reillyj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:19 am

We switched to injection 3x a week (per advice on another T forum) because H's FREE T remains a bit below normal (E is ok) and they are guessing maybe his SGBH is a little high (i think that's what they said) and maybe he's a poor converter so we're trying 3x a week (same dosage just spread out) and to minimize waste, i went to drawing and injecting w/the same needle instead of drawing w/larger and injecting with smaller gauge. Naturopath won't up his dosage (standard 400 mg a month) because his PSA is rising and we need to get to a Urologist for a re check.

I'm injecting w/25 gauge (i have a bunch of them) which has always been pretty painless but we were wondering why lately the needle has a lot of resistance going in and hurts him and i was thinking that maybe it was dulled when i poke it through the vial...drawing it up is no problem but i do think that may be the case. I suppose i can go back to drawing w/larger needle but then again, because we went to 3x a week there is more potential for some T getting lost in the dead space

Job29Man
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain.
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 2nd, 1980

Re: Dull Needles?

Postby Job29Man » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:30 am

If you call the Customer Service phone line of the company I'd guess they've heard this before and will have a good answer for you. :D
Wanting to become like Job, as described in the Bible, the book of Job chapter 29. Hence the screen name.

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm

The one time I had to draw and inject with the same needle (we were on vacation and I accidentally didn't pack the right amount) dh said it was quite a bit more painful than when I use two. I don't understand why you are only using one to inject though, is it that you don't have a script for using three needles a week? You shouldn't need an RX for needles from what I understand you can still buy them without one and they are pretty cheap even without insurance.

reillyj
Queen bed

Postby reillyj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 pm

No i'm using one to inject because of the dead space in the needle, wasting the testosterone especially now that we've moved to 3x a week, someone told me how to use a bubble to push the last bit out of the needle but i forgot where that info was, needles to say, i don't think i'll be doing it again, it hurts him too much and obviously dulls the needle, just want him to get every last bit especially because we can't get every last drop out of the vial at the end also even though i'm pretty good at it.

Job i don't think now that TOP weighs in also, that it's the manufacturer but my methods, glad i asked :)

tentsofpurple
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 4th, 2004

Postby tentsofpurple » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:00 pm

After I draw using the drawing needle, I pull back on the syringe and let all the liquid drain out of the needle into the syringe and at least halfway down the tube and then I screw off the drawing needle and screw on the injection needle. You still leave a little left in the needle when injecting but that's only the injection needle and that would happen regardless, there's never any left in the drawing needle. And I agree its nearly impossible to get the last bit out of the vial especially if they are the tiny ones that my state insists on, we get a bunch of tiny vials instead of a one larger one because of state regulations :roll:

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Hmmm...I always draw and inject with the same needle. I use 29 ga insulin syringes with 5/16 needle. Almost painless and no problem drawing. I can buy a box of 100 at Walgreens for about $20 -$24. Do him a favor and try them.

I think the problem is the 25 ga. needles. I started with them and those suckers hurt! Especially if they are over 1/2 inch. Often drew blood.

They make syringes with no lost headspace. Also, press your thumb down hard on the injection site for a minute. It will help reduce the "T bumps" that most guys get.

Try Stinging Nettle Root for the high SHBG. I have high SHBG and mine has come down about 10 points since using it. Will also help lower PSA.

SquarePants
Hammock
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 10th, 2005

Postby SquarePants » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 pm

The dead space is mostly in the syringe, not in the needle. Besides, you can draw air into the syringe before you swap needles, so there's very little lost by swapping needles before you inject. I get low dead space syringes which greatly reduces wasted medication. I inject every other day.

Also, 25 gauge is a little big. I draw testosterone with with a 20 gauge, and inject with a 27 gauge.

GaryB
Twin size
Date of your marriage (past or future): December 26th, 1981

Postby GaryB » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm

Wow! I draw weekly with an 18 ga and inject with either a 22 or 23 depending on what’s available at Walgreens’s that month. My wife injects it IM alternating cheeks weekly. Only occasionally does it burn but that’s rare.

-GaryB

reillyj
Queen bed

Postby reillyj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:34 pm

hoosier52, i have some Stinging Nettle, but it may be leaf and not root (leaf for allergies)

Are you injecting SubQ? We're doing IM and i really don't want to change that, i thought you had to have at least a 1" needle for IM. Also does it take a lot of effort to draw with a 29 ga? I had asked my pharmacist and she said the insulin needles are so thin she doesn't see how i could draw T with it and especially inject into a muscle...

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 pm

I use the stinging nettle root. The leaf may work, too. Google it.

I do inject SubQ. A LOT less pain and just as effective. I have no issues with the 29 ga. It may take a minute to load. I use grape seed oil carrier and that may load quicker than cottonseed. It also reduced the horrible, red, itchy bumps I was getting with cottonseed oil.

Lots of guys order syringes through Easy Touch. Most inject SubQ from what I read. Believe me, the insulin syringes you almost don't even feel. SO much better than those large gauges needles. If you're worried about depth, use 5/8 inch.

reillyj
Queen bed

Postby reillyj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't know what the carrier is, i don't know if they list it on the box, it's whatever is rx'd from his doc.

I had a lot of questions i asked on Excel i think it is and they did bring up SubQ but the bumps, etc. kind of scared me off and the learning curve on where to inject, etc. (yes, i'm wimpy..i'll be doing the injecting) but i don't think i'll be able to inject IM with insulin syringes because you have to get the needle into the muscle ....

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 am

Cottonseed oil is what ist ypically used unless you ask for another carrier oil. Almost everyone gets bumps regardless if you inject IM or SubQ. For me, the IM bumps were much worse than the SubQ bumps. There is no difference in effectiveness between SubQ and IM. Why go through the pain of IM if you don't have to?

I inject T in the hip. I inject twice a week so I alternate. Don't know what I'd do if it was THREE times a a week :-) I inject HCG in the belly around the navel. The belly shot is usually painless. The hip shot is painless or near painless. Feels almost like a mosquito bite.

BTW - Your husband could do this himself. The hardest one is the first one, then it's no big deal. Try SubQ and I think your husband will prefer it.

PS - I use a big empty laundry soap plastic bottle to dispose of my syringes. Then take them to a syringe disposal place when full.

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:29 pm

reillyj wrote:hoosier52, i have some Stinging Nettle, but it may be leaf and not root (leaf for allergies)

I checked my bottle and it is Stinging Nettle LEAF. Not sure if there is any difference between root and leaf.

Here's a link to one study: https://www.anabolicmen.com/stinging-ne ... tosterone/

"It has been noted in test-tubes that the polysaccharide lignans extracted from nettle roots have the ability to bind SHBG molecules, rendering them inactive by taking the place that would normally be populated by hormones."

Hoosier52
King bed

Postby Hoosier52 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am

I injected last PM. I had to insert the needle for my T twice as the syringe fell out. When I injected it was noticeably more painful. Really stung. There may be something to the dull needle.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”