Too young for real menopause?

Menopause - how it impacts your health, your sexuality, and your life in general.
av8r75
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 17th, 1998

Too young for real menopause?

Postby av8r75 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:27 am

DW just turned 37 a couple months ago. Yesterday we were swapping out summer clothes for winter when she asked me to leave her summer sleepware out. She said last winter she tended to be too warm for winter PJs in bed (although not too warm to wear them under a full length shapeless zip up robe)n and that she was starting her "changes", meaning hot flashes and the onset of menopause. I'm not buying it, thinking that she's just looking forward to getting her lifetime get-out-of-jail-free card, but have no idea how to approach. 37 just seems young for menopause...I know 38 is pretty young for the forced celibacy that I will endure as a result.

OldMarriedLady
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): May 7th, 1983

Re: Too young for real menopause?

Postby OldMarriedLady » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:40 am

I went into full-blown menopause at 36 years old and haven't had a period since. It happened a month after my tubal ligation so it may be because of that (though my ob/gyn insists the two are not related).
"When you love them, they drive you crazy - because they know they can."
(From the 1987 movie "Moonstruck", written by John Patrick Shanley)

seeking perspective
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): April 27th, 1991
Location: between the Northwoods and the Great Plains and the Great Lakes

Postby seeking perspective » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 am

I was in my upper 30's when I began to experience some symptoms of perimenopause, including night sweats.

Menopause does not equal the end of sex, although some menopausal symptoms can require some adjustments (vaginal dryness, for instance, may require that a couple always uses artifiial lube).Neither one of you should be assuming that sex is over.
You turned my wailing into dancing . . .
~Psalm 30:11
The Forgiven Wife
and Sex Chat for Christian Wives

av8r75
Queen bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): October 17th, 1998

Postby av8r75 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:52 am

I know it SHOULDN'T mean the end of sex, but I'm being pragmatic. She believes it does/should and I think she's looking forward to it.

suffolk sinner
King bed
Date of your marriage (past or future): February 21st, 1990

Postby suffolk sinner » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:42 am

Ask. It's one thing for you to assume it, but it's another thing for you to know for sure. And then you can make your plan after you know.

SeekingChange
Under the stars
Date of your marriage (past or future): August 17th, 1994

Postby SeekingChange » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:55 am

seeking perspective wrote:I was in my upper 30's when I began to experience some symptoms of perimenopause, including night sweats.

And perimenopause can happen up to 10 years prior to actually entering menopause.
God can change what people do, behavioral patterns that have been in play for decades. He can change what we do to cope, find comfort, survive conflict, to count. Rahab had done a same old thing for years...then she did something new.

My Story

OldBear
King bed

Postby OldBear » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Well, she's wrong that "menopause does/should . . . mean the end of sex." Many women on this board will attest to the fact that does not/should not happen, and Mrs. Oldbear is a poster woman that menopause does not have to affect the sex life of woman and a couple. In fact, our sex life is better than ever - 20 years after menopause.

Talk together about this change and be understanding. Sure, there will be adjustments and libido changes, but it's not a terminal 'sex disease.'

Return to “Menopause”