Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

5/7/21 - How are you going to celebrate Mom’s Day?

A fun way to get to know each other and explore various topics
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.

FIRST POST IN THREAD

newwifenewlife
Under the stars
Under the stars

5/7/21 - How are you going to celebrate Mom’s Day?

Post by newwifenewlife »

How are you going to celebrate Mom’s Day? If you have young kids, how are you going to honor their mom? Your spouse? Your mom? Are there traditions you have?
Last edited by SeekingChange on Fri May 07, 2021 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made sticky

END FIRST POST

David
King bed
King bed

Re: 5/7/21 - How are you going to celebrate Mom’s Day?

Post by David »

Giving an eternity ring when the first child is born is certainly something that some people do. I'm not sure it's an overly common tradition, but then a lot of these traditions aren't actually as old as people think.
Lorelei
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Lorelei »

I’ve dreaded Mother’s Day the last few years. We’ve had some hard things w a couple of our kids so it’s emotional. On top of that my DH has never been a gift giver/celebration planner so it’s all on me. I can deal w that for things like Christmas but it’s harder on Mother’s Day. My parents live w us so I have a neat 3D pop-up card and flowers for my mom. Historically we’ve done a big bbq lunch at home after church but I don’t think my DH can pull that off this year so I think we’ll go to a little Indian restaurant we all love. Hoping since it’s mostly internationals it won’t be crowded. I’ll be glad to be past it for another year.
Lorelei
Oldbear
California King
California King

Post by Oldbear »

We will enjoy it with our daughter and family in the Pacific Northwest. This is our first trip (via air travel) since March of 2020! What a gift to Mrs. Oldbear and our daughter!
DoveGrey
California King
California King

Post by DoveGrey »

Well, I apparently am going to spend it by buying myself something I've needed and then later have my husband put his arm around me and tell me I deserve it for Mother's Day. Like it was his gift to me because he happened to be there when I bought it. And it cost $20, about $10 less than I was planning, so it wasn't like I splurged. I really had no words for him. Receiving gifts isn't my love language, so it didn't upset me. I just find it mildly amusing that he tried to appropriate a purchase he had nothing to do with as a gift to me.

I'll call my mom, who still isn't comfortable having people over because of Covid. And the kids and I took a day trip today that we'd been planning for a while.

Mother's Day has been uncomfortable for me since our second was born just a few days before the day one year. Still sore, still stitched up, still using that perineal bottle in the bathroom, no sleep. My husband informed me that I would hurt everyone's feelings if I didn't go to the big family MD dinner at my in-laws'. I went, I regretted it, and I've basically refused to celebrate it with them ever since. My family is over there right now. I went to the nursery and bought some plants for my garden instead.

Immature, yes. But I celebrate the day the way that makes me happy now.
Wife of 21 years
Olorin
California King
California King

Post by Olorin »

My mom passed 3 years ago. Still miss her.

We will have my mother-in-law over for steaks, and then her and DW will watch 'The Crown'.
Irnmyk
King bed
King bed

Post by Irnmyk »

@DoveGrey,

Immature, I don't think so. Protective - maybe so. I read your post above, and it took me a moment or two to realize that you had disclosed information not related to this particular holiday in another thread where our FOO's, and some of the baggage that we deal with today were discussed.

So, I see your reaction in that context, which, to me, makes it not immature at all. Family situations like those that we are familiar with make holidays like this one very touchy. Sorry for your travail.

And, sorry for anyone else on the Board that is dancing around FOO issues on this, what should be a marvelous celebration.
hastentheday
King bed
King bed

Post by hastentheday »

Lorelei wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:09 am I’ve dreaded Mother’s Day the last few years. We’ve had some hard things w a couple of our kids so it’s emotional. On top of that my DH has never been a gift giver/celebration planner so it’s all on me. I can deal w that for things like Christmas but it’s harder on Mother’s Day. My parents live w us so I have a neat 3D pop-up card and flowers for my mom. Historically we’ve done a big bbq lunch at home after church but I don’t think my DH can pull that off this year so I think we’ll go to a little Indian restaurant we all love. Hoping since it’s mostly internationals it won’t be crowded. I’ll be glad to be past it for another year.
@Lorelei,
I'm so sorry to hear this. I think this is more common than people think. Mothers everywhere should be celebrated not only on Mothers Day but throughout the year. I'm hopeful that you can find some joy today. May the Lord give you His peace and comfort as you rest in Him.
2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
Lorelei
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Lorelei »

hastentheday wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:14 am May the Lord give you His peace and comfort as you rest in Him.
Thank you.
Lorelei
LovingHimAlways
King bed
King bed

Post by LovingHimAlways »

Lorelei wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:09 am I’ve dreaded Mother’s Day the last few years. We’ve had some hard things w a couple of our kids so it’s emotional. On top of that my DH has never been a gift giver/celebration planner so it’s all on me. I can deal w that for things like Christmas but it’s harder on Mother’s Day. My parents live w us so I have a neat 3D pop-up card and flowers for my mom. Historically we’ve done a big bbq lunch at home after church but I don’t think my DH can pull that off this year so I think we’ll go to a little Indian restaurant we all love. Hoping since it’s mostly internationals it won’t be crowded. I’ll be glad to be past it for another year.
@Lorelei, saying a prayer for you. I'm sorry this is a difficult day for you.
Lorelei
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by Lorelei »

LovingHimAlways wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:58 pm @Lorelei, saying a prayer for you. I'm sorry this is a difficult day for you.
Thank you. I’m sure I’m not the only one here who feels this way about it and not saying “woe is me!” - just being real. I do appreciate the prayers though.
Lorelei

Return to “Question of the Day”