Special Groups

We have sections you must join to use. You can see the full list here. Most you can join with a click. The medical and pastoral groups require approval.
Note, some groups were not accepting new members properly. That is fixed.

Are you using injections, cream or pellets?

Low testosterone issues, impacts on health & marriage, treatments, etc.
Forum rules
Post in this section can be seen by guests and search engines.
hoosier52
King bed
King bed

Are you using injections, cream or pellets?

Post by hoosier52 »

I used both cream and injections. I started off with cream. I talked my Dr. into writing a script. He knew so little about it that the Pharmacist at the Compounding Pharmacy had to call and help him write it. He was a good doctor, just didn't have the training. Then, he started me on monthly injections. That didn't work either.

I've been on injections now for several years after going to Defy. My numbers are good for a man my age. Total T is usually between 900 and 1100. Free T has shot up to 40 which is way above "normal" at this age.

Negatively, TRT has also affected my PSA and HCT numbers.

Ladies are welcome to respond if they are doing HRT.
MrEden
Queen bed
Queen bed

Re: Are you using injections, cream or pellets?

Post by MrEden »

Twice-weekly intermuscular injections of testosterone of 90mg each, with 1.5 mg anastrazole tablets per week. Daily progesterone cream.

Yeah, monthly injections aren't going to work.
Ace5100
Cot
Cot

Post by Ace5100 »

Are injections painful? How long do they last? Prescription? How do I approach Urologist to ask for shot? I am already on cream which wife does not like smell.... I have been diagnosed with very low testosterone..... I am 65.
hoosier52
King bed
King bed

Post by hoosier52 »

Ace5100 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm Are injections painful? How long do they last? Prescription? How do I approach Urologist to ask for shot? I am already on cream which wife does not like smell.... I have been diagnosed with very low testosterone..... I am 65.
I use insulin syringes to inject 3x a week. They are 5/16 long and 30 gauge. It's a mosquito bite. 90% of the time I never feel them. If you do IM shots, they WILL hurt. Go subcutaneous (SQ). Just as effective.

Most guys self-inject inject at least twice a week. The half life of Testosterone is about 3 1/2 days. Injecting 2-3 times a week keeps your T level more steady. Some inject daily. I would strongly suggest that you try Defy Medical as they are the best in the nation (world?) and will tailor a treatment for you. Sadly, most PCP's and even some urologists have very little training in TRT. I think Defy has half-price initial consult now for new patients. They don't take insurance, but some guys turn it in themselves and they are covered.

I will be glad to try to answer any other questions you may have.
workerbee
Queen bed
Queen bed

Post by workerbee »

Me:
Testosterone injection 3x week
Estradiol cream daily
(Progesterone pill 4 x week)

DH:
Testosterone injection and HCG injection 3 x week
Irnmyk
King bed
King bed

Re: Low Estradiol = More Body Fat and Less Libido?

Post by Irnmyk »

There is another thread running concurrently about Estradiol which, while it has wandered, in order to keep on topic, I came here to this thread because it is the topic.

In that thread, without quoting him, Hoosier52 mentioned a new TRT provider that did pellets.

I started out on pellets. I started with a provider that was doing HRT for DW, pellets, of course. She doesn't have a moment's trouble with pellets.

For me, on the other hand, pellets were a bad experience. My TRT provider observed that all their patients with oily skin seem to have similar experiences. No conclusions about that, just an observation.

My pellet sites became infected more often than not (NEVER happens with DW). Then I had to take antibiotics. (I hate taking medicine in general, and antibiotics in particular for the record, and DW hates it worse, so I get a double whammy, my dislike plus what I have to hear out of her about it.)

Then I was prescribed prophylactic antibiotics prior to the pellet insertion, and post insertion.

The sites fairly consistently ejected pellets. I can't remember many insertions that didn't result in one or more ejection.

I was finally offered cream (among other options - I'm one of those deathly afraid of needles; blood draws I can do if I don't look) and wouldn't look back.

I maintain 900 - 1200 levels with cream, so that is working out well. Application has been consistent - picked a particular time of the day that I could do it with regularity. Apply it behind the knees, except for massage day when I apply it to the lower belly.

So, for me, for now, it's cream, and will be (until my PSA numbers trigger the Nazi in my TRT provider.... :D )

Edited to add: Ooopppssss. I was flipping back and forth between threads, and it looks like I didn't make it back to the "are you using cream, injections or pellets" thread in this category. If an Admin wants to fix it, then please....
runningwithdog2
Cot
Cot

Post by runningwithdog2 »

IM weekly. Self injection. 100mg. That is frequently enough that I don't have any valleys in how I feel. Sometimes the injection stings a bit, but the pain is irrelevant compared to the benefit.
hoosier52
King bed
King bed

Post by hoosier52 »

runningwithdog2 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:18 pm IM weekly. Self injection. 100mg. That is frequently enough that I don't have any valleys in how I feel. Sometimes the injection stings a bit, but the pain is irrelevant compared to the benefit.
I divide my dosage into 3 shots per week. I was doing 2, but Defy had me switch to 3 in an effort to lower my Hematocrit. When I do my next labs, we'll find out if it worked or not.

I use insulin needles and most times I don't even feel it.

Return to “Male Testosterone Issues”